Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comic book scripts

Does anyone out there have experience with writing a script that went out to comic book companies with the goal to set up the script as a comic book?

My most recent screenplay is essentially a comic book script--I've invented the character, etc. My manager and agent think the best way to market this one will be to try and set it up first as a comic book, then go to the studios with the comic book rather than the screenplay.

I have no experience with comic book companies and was curious whether any out there was either a comic book writer or had similiar experience with a script.

you'd have to pitch it to the companies as a short or on-going series. I'd do some research on the net as there are several companies that specialize in producing works for short issue series. But most of those are non-hero books and only provide the publishing not the art direction and such.

I really doubt it would be sucessfull as an on-going series. That's a big investment for companies that live close to the bone.

Comment

check out Michael Lent's article on this topic in the latest issue of "Creative Screenwriting."

Comment

where's the article

Is that article available online?

Comment

Re: where's the article

not that i'm aware of, and i doubt that it's in "CS Daily," which is the daily e-zine put out by the guys at CS for free. the e-zine doesn't duplicate the magazine itself.

Comment

Re: where's the article

From my limited experience from querying comic book companies and self publishing four issues of a comic book over a span of 4 years and finally getting out to write screenplays here's my advice and when I say advice I mean jaded advice, experiences may vary...

1. On-Line Comics have come into their slowly. The upside is no printing, no editor and you draw/write just about whatever you want within reason. The downside is if you're not an artist then you'll have to partner up with someone and then find a way to pay for the server/domain fees to host your little bundle of joy.
            2. Printed Comics: Good @#$#ing luck. Comics Books differ from screenplays in the respect that it's better to pitch a spec script using the companies characters than your own. Once you become popular then you can intro your own characters in their own book.
            2a. Printed Comics: The exception to Rule 2 is if your comic really blows their socks off.

(these are my own jaded rules so take them with a grain of salt)

If you script is a comic-book-type of script then I'd look into publishing an ashcan-type of book to show the reader what the characters look like and probably a few one sheets (posters).

My writing partner and I have re-written a few of our comic book ideas that were supposed to go in the back of our book into screenplays and visual aides helped.

Comment

Re: scripts to comic book?

found this link,
              it looks pretty cool

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...=836.topic

Comment

Working...
              X