Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your advice

I pitched my script to a director who seems bankable enough. His last movie in the genre of my screenplay, made huge profits in so short time. He told me he was interested in my pitch but will read the script only if money has been raised to make the film. So I've been searching for a producer and when I thought I couldn't find one, this US company contacts me. I let them know about this director and right away, they want to talk to him. I am not even sure they read my script or/and give a damn about it. I dunno what to say. I asked this company if they can raise the money easy to make this film and they answered yes. It sounds the only thing they want, is to get in touch with this director. What will you do? I am afraid this prod. company finally works on another script than mine with this director and I get fxxxed! What do you think? I have no agent and I dunno if this prod. co is really serious with my script. Is it normal situation? This prodco seems quite serious but mainly new according to their web. What do you think?

V4KN.
    Without knowing who the parties are, it is difficult to accurately assess the situation. First of all, you really
    don't have anything going with the director. Being
    interested in the pitch is a far different animal than
    wanting to do the project because he's read the script.
    Generally, when someone (talent/director) tells you
    they're interested IF you get the money, it's a polite
    way of saying "no thanks." It's a painless rejection.
    The fact he didn't read the script pretty much says it
    all. Let's say you connect the prodco to the director.
    What's he going to tell them? He hasn't read the script
    so he can't say anything other than it's a good pitch.
    This being the case, what is the point of putting the
    director and prodco together? I see nothing there
    that will benefit you. It is possible the prodco wants
    to use you to connect with the director for their own
    project. You are an "in" they don't have. As for the
    prodco, if they didn't talk with you about your script--
    perhaps discussing optioning it--you don't have any-
    thing going with them. The fact you don't know
    whether they've read it or not speaks volumes. If
    all they talked about so far is hooking them up with
    the director, it sure seems like they're not interested
    in your script. All in all, I don't see anything for you
    with the director or the prodco. I certainly wouldn't
    intro them to the director until they've said something
    concrete about the script. Lot of smoke and mirrors
    here.
    My opinion.
    Cole

Comment

I think Cole's on the money. I'd just add that any prodco that needs an aspiring writer to connect them with a director seems a little....well, you know.

Comment

"Generally, when someone (talent/director) tells you
        they're interested IF you get the money, it's a polite
        way of saying "no thanks." It's a painless rejection.
        The fact he didn't read the script pretty much says it
        all."

Or it could be that this director isn't interested in being a producer, and isn't interested in attaching himself to a script that has no funding.

I would think that quite often directors and actors are not interested in reading scripts that have no funding. They don't know if the scripts will get sold.

Regardless, Kim, it would probably be best for you to just sell your script (easier said than done). I'd imagine most big directors are not interested in reading scripts from unknown screenwriters. Ditto for actors.

Comment

Thanx

About the director, he sounds cool and he's been a few times the producer of his own movies. He's been quite patient with me considering his busy agenda and I think if he wasn't really interested in my script...
          About the prod co. they told me they will option my script and they will contact the director's agent. So no they don't need me to contact this director as they know who he is.
          I made the decision to go ahead with this and made the connection between them. They will talk in the next few days. If I get fxxxed I will let you know. Thanks for your advice. You rule guys.

Comment

Re: Thanx

you need to find a manager (not a producer) who will package it for you

Comment

Re: Thanx

At this point, sounds like the parties are speaking to each other. So let all she can do is wait to see what happens (and if either one is interested).

If they are interested, she should contact a rep to go over a deal. WHen you have a solid offer, lawyers and agents will jump all over you.

In a previous post on absolutewrite, I think Kim mentioned having a manager.

Comment

No!

I have no agent either manager

Comment

Re: No!

Ooops, I was thinking of another post by a Kim who had an agent. Well, if you get an offer, don't hestitate to go to the main part of this board and call an agent to negotiate it for you.

Comment

Do I really need...

Do I really need one? I dunno but if I did the whole job and I get an agent or manager who has nothing else to do but taking the money...What do you think?
                    Anyway nothing is confirmed yet. Sounds too good to be true. If the producers get a commitment with this director, what should they do next with me? Option or buy my script? Calculating the budget first and then paying me according to it? It sounds crazy as the director hasn't read my script yet! But sounds really interesting. I can't tell you who is who here..confidentiality oblige >D But will let you know whether this prod. co is serious or not.
                    Otherwise, I am not in the US. Can I email agents? or managers?

Comment

Re: Do I really need...

Entertainment attorneys and agents. You could also ask the production company for a referral if it got to this point.

A manager really would have nothing else to do. It's illegal for managers to negotiate deals for their clients.

Comment

Here's the end of the story

Ok the prod co. tried to stab me in the back by suggesting screenplays other than mine to the director I introduced to them. Fortunately I had the director on my side. He told me the whole story. So I got back to this prod. co ...I asked them to be a little bit honest ..their final response was (of course opposite to what they told me at the first place..that was how they will have no problem to raise the money.."

Here it is..Have fun reading this piece of sxxt.:rollin

" ** know nothing of this project other than the screenplay which was sent to us. We have no idea of budget or cost on this project or if we can financially support it. What we dont understand is all the secrecy surrounding it so I think its best if you go with someone else"

NEXT TIME I will think of sending my script, with a budget made. I will also introduce a bankable director and finally will recruit some stars in Hollywood. Maybe I will then have a chance! :lol
                        I WAS SARCASTIC OF COURSE :hat

Comment

Re: Here's the end of the story

Kim, you should really start shopping around for legit representatives.

Get yourself an agent.

Also, you should be submitting your scripts to production companies, not directors.

Comment

Re: Here's the end of the story

Well, I'd like to get an agent but i am not in the US. I've contacted plenty of them and none answered! I tried to submit to prod. co or they don't answer at all, or they rejected my script or they're scammers. Pretty unlucky huh?

Comment

Script selling starts from...

Vertigo4KimNovak--

Logged in to cheer you up.

I see how hard time you've been going through to get your script read.
                              Where are you now? Which country?
                              I'm asking this question because I'm also a writer out of the States, even what is worse, Enslish is not my mother tongue.

You may easily guess how hard time I've been to get closer to Hollywood. Yes, I wasted almost 2 years to cold-quey my first space-opera and get "no thanks". Luckily, I once made it to a written contract with an agency(WGA signatory) for this project, but they eventually did nothing for my work, rather could nothing because they're LV based, out of range.

What I learned from those desperate moments is that nothing can go nowhere without following some protocol.

First, you gotta have an excellent script, not just an idea or pitch-- I once got more than 20 requests for my second work off my cold-query from good productions and agencies like Willaim Morris Agecy, UTA, Kopelson Co, Fox seachlight . They all liked my email pitches.

But what matters eventually is the script.

If you think you really completed something(You need to get an expert to evaluate your work), then make up an irresistable query letter and email them. They won't miss a good story.

Now I'm partnering with a produced American writer on my projects and we finished a first work. Recently sent it to a manager(also a producer in a significant company) who had first given me an idea of writing partnership. My partner said he's also going to make the most of his own network.

Just start from making your work irresistable.

And go for it. Your work will find its own way.

And don't get confused about what the players'(producer, director, etc) minds are up to. Just think on a common sense in their shoes whatever happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X