Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2004, 05:13 AM   #1
keithtowers

Default I vs i

Is it usual these days to use a lower case (i) as a pronoun. I can't help thinking that a script reader who has, or should have a high knowledge of English grammar, doesn't actually get pissed off every time he or she sees this rule ignored. I know it irritates me, because, like most people who want to write well, and who enjoys the use of language, I see it as shoddy and unprofessional. I am no scholar, I come from a working class background. But I do try my hardest to get the spelling and the grammar right.

Controversial as ever.

Keith
Old 08-27-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Hamboogul

i CONCUR
Old 08-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #3
Augie Kestrel

No, it's not a normal thing to see in a script. I think its use started when people started sending messages on their pagers. They just want to avoid the extra time it takes to "shift" to a capital letter.

I'd never use the word "i" in a script, although I don't think it would be a deal-breaker if I did. I'm guessing that it's used primarily by young people. I don't think William Goldman has adopted the practice.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
JakeSchuster aka Ostroff

Only two people could get away with writing "I" as "i" (which is, as you say, utterly incorrect): Bob Dylan in his liner notes, and (I spell it as he did) the poet (and sometimes novelist) e.e. cummings.

(And why is this a "business" question?)
Old 08-27-2004, 01:21 PM   #5
NikeeGoddess

however, many of the screenwriting software programs will capitalize words that they assume should be capitalized. so you can become lazy and never use the shift key for lack of practice