Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on Moving to LA

Anyone have any tips or advice on moving to LA?

From Bill's script secret site. Lot of great advice in this post:

Moving to LA?

Comment

And this, of course, from our site: www.scriptsales.com/DDReadMoving.html

Comment

i just moved, barely been here a week...if you have any specific questions hat the above posts don't answer, feel free to email me...my address is in my profile...

Comment

One week... how do you like it so far? is it everything you thought? And where abouts are you?

Comment

LA is not the promised land. You may like it. You may hate it. It's just a place.

Moving there doesn't mean your dreams automatically come true.

Comment

LA is not the promised land. You may like it. You may hate it. It's just a place.
              And what part of the East Coast do you live in? Just kidding. I love LA. My hippy new-age crunchy granola vegan ex-wife would tell me that there is some crossing of world energy lines in LA that energizes me. I gotta go with Randy Newman, I love LA!

Advice: try and get a day job as a longshoreman. I hear they need 13,000 additional because the cargo is stacking up in LA and Long Beach.

Comment

LOL, I'm not debating the fact that folks who are serious about screenwriting should make the move at some point.

It's just better not to go with stars in your eyes.

Comment

is it everything i thought it would be? that's tough...i moved from austin, TX, so for me the weather is awesome, the people are rude, i live next to a mountain which is pretty cool, the people drive even worse than they did back home, people talk funny, there's not a bbq place on every corner, there's a pantsload of armenians everywhere, there are much fewer hippies, everything's more expensive, and i have yet to receive a 3 picture deal.

obviously your perception is going to shaded in large part by what you're used to and what part of LA you live in. if i had to live in some crappy place in koreatown, for example, i'd be much less happy than i am in burbank. read stuff and visit. rent a car and havea thomas guide. subscribe to westsiderentals.com figure out what your priorities are before you move out here...is living in a trendy part of town important to you? is it important to you to live by yourself, come with someone, find a roommate out here? personally, my finace and i decided that we'd take a smaller place in a less hip part of the city in order to have less financial stress.

looking for apartments, it was a shock to us to learn a lot of apartments out here don't come w/central AC. we're from texas...if you're place doesn't have central AC out there, you're living in a really lousy place. we were extremely shocked to find that not all apartments came w/refridgerators. i'm still shocked by that. but we found a 1br w/fridge, AC (free central AC at that), a pool, in a really nice (as in quiet and well-kept, not ritzy) neighborhood in burbank, right next to glendale. not hip, no fancy restaurants or clubs too nearby, but affordable (895/mo, not bad, it seems, by LA standards) and reasonably big. so there's my story.

everything you read about LA is true, and that includes all the contradictory stuff. it's a huge, sprawling city, so you'll be able to find almost anything you want here. the weather alone is enough to make you question why everyone doesn't live here. just be ready for traffic, lots of driving, and armenians. more questions? let me know...

Comment

Third World City.

Nuff said.

Comment

looks like you're a real Angelino - griping about Koreans and Armenians in one post.

disclaimer: this is meant as a joke. anyone overcaffeinated, pms-ing, choked by creative frustration, recently cut off by a Korean or mugged by an Armenian should best move on.

Comment

LA

some tips
                        1)thomas guide
                        2) several mos of rent and/or a job
                        3)patience. as raven said, being in LA does not guarantee jack and that can be incredibly frustrating.
                        4)i loathe the weather in la, but then i'm not a fan of brown hazy disgusting smog. after the (bi-annual) rain LA is very pretty for 24-30 hours

Comment

Re: LA

What the @#%$ is wrong with koreatown?

>:

Comment

For starters, YOU live there, jkk.

Comment

What he said.

Comment

Working...