No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Daps to Diablo

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
    The only recurring motif I've picked up about strippers is that they're usually single mothers trying to feed the kids or get through college. Sometimes both.
    Funny how pervasive it is, too.

It's like there's a prerequisite when hiring strippers. First 2 questions:

1) Are you applying for this jobe because you need money to pay tuition and buy books?
    2) Are you a single mother who needs money for diapers?

They must reject even the prettiest girls who say "I just like dancing naked".

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
      Edited to add: Why is that joke funny? Seriously -- I'm not getting it. If that's supposed to be a play on THE BONE COLLECTOR, that didn't have Morgan Freeman in it. It was Denzel.

I know!!!

Comment

Edited to add: Why is that joke funny? Seriously -- I'm not getting it. If that's supposed to be a play on THE BONE COLLECTOR, that didn't have Morgan Freeman in it. It was Denzel.

I think many find it amusing because of how random it is.

Comment

Maybe I wasn't a big fan because I just don't get it?

Superbad. I really liked the first 30 minutes, and I found the last hour completely boring. The emotional ending was nice and saved the movie, imo.

Napoleon Dynamite. I found nothing about this movie funny at all. Once again, the emotional ending was nice and befitting, but not enough.

Juno. Only read the script, but hated the first 30 or so minutes, and laughed out loud at only one part - when the random teenage couple argues in science class. I thought it tried too hard to be funny, much like Superbad and Dynamite. So, maybe I just don't get it. I mean, I'm 25, so I fit the demographic, right?

I found Old School and Road Trip and 40-Year Old Virgin and Anchorman absolutely hilarious though. I don't get me.

Comment

Originally posted by Floresco View Post
            Maybe I wasn't a big fan because I just don't get it?

Superbad. I really liked the first 30 minutes, and I found the last hour completely boring. The emotional ending was nice and saved the movie, imo.

Napoleon Dynamite. I found nothing about this movie funny at all. Once again, the emotional ending was nice and befitting, but not enough.

Juno. Only read the script, but hated the first 30 or so minutes, and laughed out loud at only one part - when the random teenage couple argues in science class. I thought it tried too hard to be funny, much like Superbad and Dynamite. So, maybe I just don't get it. I mean, I'm 25, so I fit the demographic, right?

I found Old School and Road Trip and 40-Year Old Virgin and Anchorman absolutely hilarious though. I don't get me.

You're an individual with varied tastes and opinions...like everyone/anyone else. Not really hard to decipher.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
              I think many find it amusing because of how random it is.
              Actually, as soon as I heard it I thought it was insulting. Kind of saying that all black men look the same.

But I gave her the benefit of the doubt and wrote it off as just a forced and stale joke.

Comment

The first paragraph in the script has a LOT of "black" in it. Isn't that the kind of opening that makes professional readers cringe?

I'm interested in seeing the movie but my enthusiasm has been dampened considerably after watching a making-of on HBO. Some of the clips from the movie have painfully "hip" dialogue that seem to be there simply for the hip-factor.

Cody says that's the way that generation talks. Is so, my future children are gonna be home schooled....

It's not how the generation talks -- it's how they blog.

It's her blog voice -- spoken by every character.

I don't think this script went through the usual studio reader channels -- it was pushed to the front of the line by her manager who orchestrated the publicity story.

How many first-time scribes get to go on pubilicity junkets with the director and lead actress? Do they want to interview the writer or the stripper? How many screenwriters are allowed on the set of their own film?

This has been an amazing work of fabricating celebrity and everyone jumped on board rushing Juno through the development process. The script had to dovetail with the release of her "memoir" otherwise publicity would wane.

Otherwise some reader, some junior exec, would have caught the Morgan Freeman/Denzel Washington gaff re Bone Collector. (Does Cody even double-check herself? Or is everything off the top of her head pure gold.)

How old was her "youth" audience when Bone Collector came out? All of her pop culture references in Juno are dated. I'm starting to think Cody's been 29 for several years.

Catty? Envious? No - I was irritated when I researched the stripper thing.

So many of us toil away working on our craft. Now we need to create a story about our own lives that's press-worthy emough to get on TMZ.

I harbor no envy of her writing ability. Because I think she's at the beginning of her learning curve. She read one script before writing Juno -- I think it was Ghost World?

Juno had a lot of the problems of a first script. She's lucky the actress playing the lead brought her own sympatico to the role because on the page, Juno is not a very likeable character who you'd want to spend an hour or two with.

But I doubt Cody will work on her craft -- why should she? Look how far an "okay" script has gotten her. No, she'll stick with her formula. One Juno-esque script after another. Why not stick with it -- she's being considered for best screenplay. And now she's announcing she wants to direct next.

Perhaps that's the saddest thing -- Cody has made the fatal mistake of believing her own press. Then again -- so did Spielberg.

We're beyond 15-minutes of fame. Now we're into 30 minutes of legend.
                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I predict her career will follow the exact same path as Nia Vardalos.

Lots of box office, followed by an Oscar nomination (but not a win... there's no way anyone's beating Michael Clayton). Short-lived sitcom based on movie, then, never to be heard from again.

She's a smart, articulate, independent girl who wrote an autobiographical movie about a smart, articulate, independent girl. Doesn't really seem like a writer.

Comment

Speaking of Oscar nominations ... let's compare apples to apples.

Is Juno really a better, Oscar-worthy comedy than Knocked Up?
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                      How many first-time scribes get to go on pubilicity junkets with the director and lead actress? Do they want to interview the writer or the stripper? How many screenwriters are allowed on the set of their own film?

This has been an amazing work of fabricating celebrity and everyone jumped on board rushing Juno through the development process. The script had to dovetail with the release of her "memoir" otherwise publicity would wane.

Catty? Envious? No - I was irritated when I researched the stripper thing.

So many of us toil away working on our craft. Now we need to create a story about our own lives that's press-worthy emough to get on TMZ.
                      Yes, thank you, SC! That's what I've been trying to say. You said it a lot better than me. Something is just not right with her situation. It smells more rotten than that pole she used to grind on.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                        Yes, thank you, SC! That's what I've been trying to say. You said it a lot better than me. Something is just not right with her situation. It smells more rotten than that pole she used to grind on.

Ele...
                        I knew what you were trying to say. I got my butt handed to me for looking into the stripper thing in another thread. Others in the press have questioned the "mythology" (their word) of her stripper memoir. I'll likely be reamed again for mentioning it.

But hey - let's see how she does with "Girly Style," her second sale. Actually it was a pitch she sold Universal riding the momentum of the Juno publicity.

Girly Style is about three nerdy college girls looking to lose their virginity.

I hope all three don't speak exactly alike.

(Hmmm. Losing virginity. Sounds familiar.)

Comment

The PR is kind of irrelevant, and par for the Hollywood Cinderella story they like to trot out on occasion. I mean... does anyone here really still believe that Stallone cranked out the screenplay for Rocky in three days, and then refused to sell it to the Suits unless he could star in it?
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I ask again:

Is the screenplay for Juno more Oscar-worthy than Knocked Up?

Raise of hands?

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                              I ask again:

Is the screenplay for Juno more Oscar-worthy than Knocked Up?

Raise of hands?
                              I haven't read Juno yet. All of my criticisms are based on "Diablo the celebrity." I've actually been giving her the benefit of the doubt on the actual script. If anybody can send it to me, shoot me a PM.

IMO, Apatow deserves some awards recognition. He basically owns comedy in Hollywood. But he's not a media darling. So it may not happen.

Ele...

Comment

I loved "Knocked Up" but alot of it's improvised on the spot by the actors..."Juno" was all created in the mind of the writer and what's on the page is on the screen. That might make a difference for traditionalists.

Comment

Working...
                                X