Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Writing Exercises
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Adam Isaac

Default March Madness!!!

Look, I've got a crap load of work that just hit my desk, and to be honest...I could use a little help in terms of exactly how we're going to do this.

This is SKETCH comedy this time.

Should we spare no expense in terms of subject matter, making contemporary politics and current events fair game? I don't want Will to get sued or anything, and I certainly don't anyone to get banned over something they've written.

?

I think I'm just going to wing-it on the guidelines then. 6 pages sound about right?

Wouldn't it be cool to set it up like a Tournament Bracket? Have a round of 32(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round of 16(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round 8(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round of 4(1-on-1 write-offs), and conclude with the Championship match?

Maybe 32 is too many. I doubt we'll get 32 different writers to enter.

Or we can just the old fashioned way: Write to enter, and wait for votes?

I like the Tournament idea. We could set an initial deadline for 3/16/08(or whenever the NCAA tourney starts), and the winners who move on will have 1 week to write another sketch script for their next matchup...and so on and so forth until we get to the FINAL FOUR, and then make the new dealine 5 days.

WHAT DO THE CRAZY PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY TO THAT?

Perhaps the first 16 people to enter, maybe? Or maybe we should do have an INVITATIONAL ROUND(which would be like a traditional contest, but with only 3 pages MAXIMUM, and then everyone can judge on the Top 16 sketches, and THOSE sketches make it into the MARCH MADNESS SKETCH TOURNAMENT on the 3/16/08.

The object of this Writing Exercise is to run a DEADLINE GUANLET similar to that of what a professional Sketch Comedy Writer has to face each and every week.

SNL writers don't just write one sketch, and retire...they keep on writing 'teh phunny' on a day-to-day routine.

If the INVITATIONAL ROUND fails to qualify 16 sketch writers, then we'll make it a 12 Writer Bracket, and the TOP 4 will get an extra 'bye-week' to prepare for their Round of 8 match-up.

This is a bold commitment for me, and to whoever wants to enter this contest, but I promise you that I will do whatever I can to get the Tournament Champion some sort of real-deal professional SKETCH COMEDY WRITING prize...I'm only one man though, I can only chug one c*ck at a time....or maybe my hot Hawaian friend Mimi can help with that.

I'm at lunch right now, so let's hear your opinions on this SKETCH COMEDY TOURNAMENT proposal.

Last edited by Adam Isaac : 03-03-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
OzFade

Default Re: March Madness!!!

I don't know but I've got dibbs on doing a three stooges parody of dpat, J over and Mr. Martell.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
ezread
User

Quote:
Should we spare no expense in terms of subject matter, making contemporary politics and current events fair game?
Yes.

Code:
and I certainly don't anyone to get banned over something they've written.
If nobody got banned for some of the entry's that were posted in your Sex & Murder comp, I don't think this should be a problem.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Adam Isaac

You're probably right, Eric.

I think I'm just going to wing-it on the guidelines then. 6 pages sound about right?

Wouldn't it be cool to set it up like a Tournament Bracket? Have a round of 32(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round of 16(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round 8(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round of 4(1-on-1 write-offs), and conclude with the Championship match?

Maybe 32 is too many. I doubt we'll get 32 different writers to enter.

Or we can just the old fashioned way: Write to enter, and wait for votes?

I like the Tournament idea. We could set an initial deadline for 3/16/08(or whenever the NCAA tourney starts), and the winners who move on will have 1 week to write another sketch script for their next matchup...and so on and so forth until we get to the FINAL FOUR, and then make the new dealine 5 days.

WHAT DO THE CRAZY PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY TO THAT?

Perhaps the first 16 people to enter, maybe? Or maybe what we should do is have an INVITATIONAL ROUND(which would be like a traditional contest, but with only 3 pages MAXIMUM, and then everyone can judge on the Top 16 sketches, and THOSE sketches make it into the MARCH MADNESS SKETCH TOURNAMENT on the 3/16/08.

The object of this Writing Exercise is to run a DEADLINE GUANLET similar to that of what a professional Sketch Comedy Writer has to face each and every week.

SNL writers don't just write one sketch, and retire...they keep on writing 'teh phunny' on a day-to-day basis.

If the INVITATIONAL ROUND fails to qualify 16 sketch writers, then we'll make it a 12 Writer Bracket, and the TOP 4 will get an extra 'bye-week' to prepare for their Round of 8 match-up.

This is a bold commitment for me, and to whoever wants to enter this contest, but I promise you that I will do whatever I can to get the Tournament Champion some sort of real-deal professional SKETCH COMEDY WRITING prize...I'm only one man though, I can only chug one c*ck at a time....or maybe my hot Hawaian friend Mimi can help with that.

I'm at lunch right now, so let's hear your opinions on this SKETCH COMEDY TOURNAMENT proposal.

Last edited by Adam Isaac : 03-03-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
theblondewritr

Thumbs up Re: March Madness!!!

HECK YEAH! *flexing fingers*
Old 03-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
edamame
User

This sounds like a really fun idea.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Adam Isaac

I've decided. We're going to do this Tournament idea.

Around Midnight tonight I'll post the Official Guidelines thread for the INVITATIONAL ROUND. I will also release audio of my pet Tasmanian Devil(Shocka) upon the forum. Once you hear that mind-shattering sound that Shocka makes, that will mean: LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
doubler83

Can't wait to read the entries.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Adam Isaac

25+ Invitational entries is the 1st goal...

16 Tournament qualifying writers the next...

8 winners after that...

4 Final Four writers the next, and then down to...

2 Finalists in the Championship Match, giving us...

1 Sketch Comedy Champion!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Fortean

Default March Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Isaac View Post
25+ Invitational entries is the 1st goal...

16 Tournament qualifying writers the next...

8 winners after that...

4 Final Four writers the next, and then down to...

2 Finalists in the Championship Match, giving us...

1 Sketch Comedy Champion!
I think that this is how American presidents are elected. Madness, indeed!
Closed Thread