X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sophocles gone????

I just tried to access the sophocles.net webpage and got the return of
    Bad Request (Invalid Hostname). Heck, I just bought the software a month ago.

From reading old posts, I know the owner used to frequent the board here, so I'm hoping someone (or himself) will answer and tell me what's going on.

TIA

Kat

Re: Is Sophocles gone????

My God, now I am wondering, too. I tried the site and got the same response.

Most people leave their websites up long after they have "gone out of business," so to speak.

I don't know. I checked the site a few weeks ago. The most recent version was still 2.0.0.65, which has been around for a long time now. Maybe Tim shelved the whole project, though that seems unlikely. Still, there has been no update in a long time. Supposedly the release version of 2.x was going to be ready around the first of this year, according to what one of the board members here posted.

Tim did not hang out here. I only remember one or two posts from him, ever.

Maybe he forgot to renew his domain name, or maybe it is just a server problem.

I guess we will find out soon.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

This is not good news, but it's most likely a server issue as the expiration date is 2008-07-01.

Comment

This is not good news, but it's most likely a server issue as the expiration date is 2008-07-01.
        How did you find that out, vmf? Just curious.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Hmmm, probably did a whois.net look up of the domain name. Probably just a web glitch.
          R.K. Bentley
          My Blog, My Design Studio
          "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

It gets worse.

Google has a cached Wikipedia article on Sophocles (software) as the article existed on April 2 of this year. The cached article was last modified in December 2007.

But the Wikipedia article itself is no longer in Wikipedia. You just get a stub saying that there is no article. Also, there is another Wikipedia article on the subject of screenwriting software, and in this article there is a link to the Wikipedia Sophocles article. That link goes to the same stub saying that no article exists.

Comment

I hope it's something as simple as he just forgot to renew his webhost. Me, I'm sitting here all paranoid that something I just shelled out 120 bucks for on the 21st of March is money down the drain. Yes, I have both versions on my hard drive now - but what happens if I have a crash?

I did send an email to the addy that was on my validation email and it didn't get returned as undeliverable, so I'm crossing my fingers. (but, not holding my breath)

Kat

Comment

Accodring to the wikipedia log:

05:37, 9 April 2008 Jimfbleak (Talk | contribs) deleted "Sophocles (software)" ‎ (G11: Blatant advertising)

Basically this admin killed all pages related to screenwriting software - including Final Draft, Movie Magic, Celtx etc.

Mac
                New blogposts:
                *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Huh... did he kill the Coca Cola page?
                  "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Well, the Wikipedia log explains what happened to the article on Sophocles (I guess), but if the Sophocles website was not going to expire until July, then we know that failure to renew the site is not the problem.

Maybe it is just a server problem ... but I have this deep-down bad feeling, guys. The version had been stuck at 2.0.0.65 for a really long time, despite a few issues with it.

Let's hope that this is like the famous Mark Twain remark, "The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated."

I think we will be finding out something about this in the next week or so. I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                      I think we will be finding out something about this in the next week or so. I hope.
                      Sure hope you're right and it is a Mark Twain moment.

Comment

Going to the website as of 948pm:

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)
                        R.K. Bentley
                        My Blog, My Design Studio
                        "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

Well, folks, it is almost midnight on Monday night, Central Daylight Time.

My attempt to contact the Sophocles website just now still gave me an "invalid hostname" response.

I don't think this is a Mark Twain "the rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated" kind of situation. I think Sophocles has bitten the dust. I think we have to declare it to be MIA, presumed dead, at this point.

I hope I am not assuming the worst too soon ... but it looks grim. I do not feel that I can say too much at this point, since we do not know the situation for sure, but later I will definitely have some thoughts to share, if this turns out to be what it looks like.

Anyhow . . .

Comment

I'm just saying, wasn't it Hotmail or Yahoo whose email system went totally off the air a few years back? Turned out that someone had accidentally allowed a domain name subscription to lapse. A tech-savvy customer investigated, found the problem, and used his own credit card to renew the subscription. That's how easy it is to 404 a website.

-Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                              I'm just saying, wasn't it Hotmail or Yahoo whose email system went totally off the air a few years back? Turned out that someone had accidentally allowed a domain name subscription to lapse. A tech-savvy customer investigated, found the problem, and used his own credit card to renew the subscription. That's how easy it is to 404 a website.

-Derek

Their own credit card! Wow, whoever that was really wanted their emails.

And sorry about Sophocles. If they're gone forever that really sucks for those who use it. I use Script Wizard which is an MS Word add on. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles that the big stand alone programs have but it's cheap (app $70.00), easy to use, has no wonky glitches that I know of, & doesn't require any tech support.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Working...
                              X