This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abbot Management

I think we should think of managers as professional sports teams. Pick The Cubs as they could use some help (sorry Chicago).

So they see you can play (the script you sent them) so they call you up to the majors... but few players start off great right away... most have 2 or 3 years were they aren't very good at all. Takes time to learn the game. But the team works with the ones that respond, learn from feedback on how to get better and eventually that's how you get the next great writers...

Same reason high school athletes that went right to the NBA at 19 are good enough to get in, but need to develop to be great. Kobe wasn't Kobe for the first 3 years... but then it all came together in his 4th year. Lebron was the exception...

Joe is right. Good managers find talent and make them professionals because no matter how good you are, you need the guidance of the industry insider to get you to the right level. Maybe 1 out of a million has a script ready to go now...

And I would be nervous of the manager that got my script and said "great" let me go sell it without 1 note.

Comment

Again, I concur with joe.

Not only will a "good manager" nurture a writer, but only a "good writer" will allow himself to be nurtured.

Some agents and managers will just throw scripts around to see what sticks. A good manager, and even a good agent, will know the ins-and-outs of screenwriting and the market. Joe is also correct in what attracts your writing to a rep: a "voice" that resonates with the rep.

It's all still mysterious to me. I don't question my rep; I just try to do what he tells me.

In truth, my rep is a good cure for my tendency to over write a story.

Comment

Originally posted by cocobarbie View Post
        There is a fee if they make a sale. They sent me yet another email this week. I've heard they are boasting about having thousands clients now. Ok. Now ask yourself what new agency has that many clients.

Clients...as in studio companies or in writers?

If you don't like the way they work, fine. Don't deal with them.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          I think we should think of managers as professional sports teams. Pick The Cubs as they could use some help (sorry Chicago).

So they see you can play (the script you sent them) so they call you up to the majors... but few players start off great right away... most have 2 or 3 years were they aren't very good at all. Takes time to learn the game. But the team works with the ones that respond, learn from feedback on how to get better and eventually that's how you get the next great writers...

Same reason high school athletes that went right to the NBA at 19 are good enough to get in, but need to develop to be great. Kobe wasn't Kobe for the first 3 years... but then it all came together in his 4th year. Lebron was the exception...

Joe is right. Good managers find talent and make them professionals because no matter how good you are, you need the guidance of the industry insider to get you to the right level. Maybe 1 out of a million has a script ready to go now...

And I would be nervous of the manager that got my script and said "great" let me go sell it without 1 note.
          Then you would not have signed with my first manager, who got my script to Mimi Rogers with nary a change.
          http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

So then in terms of notes, a writer could get professional screenwriters, or other people in the business who know good writing, to give him/her notes on his script.

In fact, if someone is submitting his/her work, presumably he/she has already had notes from professionals in the business. So if they're really a good enough writer, there's no reason why a rep wouldn't send out the project. Of course, I may be thinking more about agents, who are all about closing the deal.

But for those of you who talk about having a manager "nurture" you, have you had sales yet?

And I ask because I've seen a lot of people on this forum who over the years talked about how the managers put them through rewrite after rewrite, only not to take their work out.

By the way, this shouldn't be taken as me saying writers should avoid managers. Not at all. I'm saying it I don't know that a manager automatically would want to put his clients through several rewrites before sending them out. That it would seem to me they'd be more interested in dealing with people who they can get JOBS NOW!
            Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Originally posted by NYNEX View Post
              I'm saying it I don't know that a manager automatically would want to put his clients through several rewrites before sending them out. That it would seem to me they'd be more interested in dealing with people who they can get JOBS NOW!
              dude give it up, you're defending such a lame, ignorant position.

the best managers give notes to the most successful of writers. happens all the time.

You should have seen what Arndt got on SUNSHINE. Can tell you as gospel that Diablo got an ass-full on Juno.

And Shamalyamadong, on both LADY and HAPPENING...wait, no, i guess he didn't get any on those.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post
                dude give it up, you're defending such a lame, ignorant position.

the best managers give notes to the most successful of writers. happens all the time.

You should have seen what Arndt got on SUNSHINE. Can tell you as gospel that Diablo got an ass-full on Juno.

And Shamalyamadong, on both LADY and HAPPENING...wait, no, i guess he didn't get any on those.
                Not giving it up, because I never said managers don't give notes to writers.

I did question, and I still do, whether its standard for a manager to "nurture" a writer, especially to the extent that Joe and Farnsworth claim.

I also question again, if notes is what a writer needs, why can said writer not go to other screenwriters or other industry people for notes, if his/her work needs to be rewritten so?

Because basically, if a writer needs all the help some of you are saying the "best" managers give, it sounds like that person really isn't ready by a long shot. And if that's the case, the writer may benefit from screenwriting classes, books, workshops, whatever.

And I think it's far, for those of you who say it's the norm for managers to basically teach screenwriters their craft, have your own managers gotten you any deals? If so, I will say wonderful, it really worked for you. If not, then I question what you're saying. Partially because there have been a number of writers on here, as I've said before, who've had managers put them through rewrite after rewrite only to get nowhere. And after all, this is the forum where people absolultely LOVE managers like ABBOT management.

And who knows, because I didn't read their scripts, but what if the managers notes didn't really improve their scripts? One person's opinion is not the end all and be all of everything, and it isn't necessarily a good idea to rewrite your work to satisfy one person (unless that person is a producer who is cutting you a check). Don't get me wrong, getting feedback is essential to improving as a writer, but that doesn't mean you should always follow every comment you get.

Comment

I'm really enjoying this discussion. It's helpful and we're getting a lot of good stuff from it.

I think what people are saying is you WANT a manager who will help make your script the best it can be before going out and also one that knows how to sell.

Yes, some managers look for scripts they determine are ready to go and try to sell them. But it seems from my limited experience, but speaking with professionals that most sales are done after a manager finds a good script, helps fix it up -- then goes and sells it.

I'm sure there are exceptions (good and bad).

But NYNEX there's a difference between not knowing the basics and getting notes. A manager isn't wasting their time helping out anyone, they are only helping those that already have good scripts, maybe great. But they shape them so they are more salable.

Agents are more the ones that want it ready to go. Only care about ready scripts... reason it's easier to get a manager who wants to guide a career.

And as others have said, a good manager is looking for someone that can write 10 scripts not just 1. They might sign you off a script and not even try and sell that one. But develop ideas from scratch to write/sell together.

Comment

NYNEX...and please keep in mind I do not ask this to be condescending or to try to poke holes in your argument but rather because I feel it's relevent to the discussion...but have you ever had a manager?

I think it’s not only a question of a script or a writer needing notes to make their script as good as it can be before hitting the marketplace…but there is also the fact that many reps (mainly managers as the relationship is typically more hands on and personal than with an agent) want to or need to put their mark on a script in order to feel fully invested.

Make no mistake, you WANT your rep to feel fully invested.

You want your rep 100% confident that you will be able to handle the development process if somebody were to purchase the script or if they were to put you up for an assignment...and there’s no better way to initially establish that confidence than to take notes from your manager well (and this doesn’t mean blindly doing everything they suggest you do) on the script that is initially exposing you to the marketplace.

Will a manager answer “yes” if you were to ask them if they would rather a script be ready for the marketplace immediately after they read it and agree to sign the writer? Of course. The reality is that most managers have probably rarely if ever encountered that type of situation #1 because a script can always be tweaked and improved and #2 because of the manager’s conscious or subconscious need to put their mark on a script in order to feel fully invested.

With UTA onboard now to take the lead in terms of selling me and my work, my manager’s primary responsibility in terms of my career has shifted to more of a development role. I will run ideas by her in terms of future projects. I will show her works in progress that I would never show my agents. I just got notes from her on a treatment I had to write for a particular assignment I’m in the process of chasing down. Of course she knows she still needs to talk me up around town and slip my scripts to people when it’s appropriate but as my career progresses and my agents continue to play more of an active role in selling my work and putting me up for assignments, she knows development will be the primary way she continues to earn her 10%.
                    Last edited by joe9alt; 10-06-2008, 02:32 PM.
                    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

[quote=Bono;471684
                      But NYNEX there's a difference between not knowing the basics and getting notes. A manager isn't wasting their time helping out anyone, they are only helping those that already have good scripts, maybe great. But they shape them so they are more salable.

Agents are more the ones that want it ready to go. Only care about ready scripts... reason it's easier to get a manager who wants to guide a career.
                      [/quote]

Okay, that sounds better (manager shaping an already good script), as opposed to saying the manager is out for "nurturing". Career guidance, as you explain it and define it, sounds perfectly reasonable. As I understand, managers are more likely to want to deal with a new writer than agents anyway, for reasons already gone over in this thread.

To answer Joealt, I've not had a manager. I can clearly see why you'd want your rep to be vested in your work. And yes, if I've something wrong or that needs to be dealt with a script, I would want a rep to point it out.

My main issue was that the impression I got from some postings in this thread is that the manager was basically a writing instructor to a newbie screenwriter, and I cannot see someone going that far. But career guidance and shaping projects, yes. Or even attaching himself/herself to the project as a producer and packaging it, yes.

Comment

"My main issue was that the impression I got from some postings in this thread is that the manager was basically a writing instructor to a newbie screenwriter, and I cannot see someone going that far."

Of course, that assumption cannot be in play here. Once a rep has become interested in you, that presupposes that you have attained a level of writing that can lead you into the professional ranks.

Joe is a bit farther on the road to getting a sale than I am. My manager has not introduced me to agents yet. His business plan is to bring promising writers, whether new or somewhat experienced, to the point where he can sell them. It's not about good writing per se. It's about good writing specifically for the movie industry.

Becoming a "good enough" writer is the primarily the job of the writer. Becoming a professional writer is the job of the writer under the mentorship of a good rep.

So, I hope we got those distinctions clear in mind. I think that this was a fruitful and positive discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
                          "My main issue was that the impression I got from some postings in this thread is that the manager was basically a writing instructor to a newbie screenwriter, and I cannot see someone going that far."

Of course, that assumption cannot be in play here. Once a rep has become interested in you, that presupposes that you have attained a level of writing that can lead you into the professional ranks.

Joe is a bit farther on the road to getting a sale than I am. My manager has not introduced me to agents yet. His business plan is to bring promising writers, whether new or somewhat experienced, to the point where he can sell them. It's not about good writing per se. It's about good writing specifically for the movie industry.

Becoming a "good enough" writer is the primarily the job of the writer. Becoming a professional writer is the job of the writer under the mentorship of a good rep.

So, I hope we got those distinctions clear in mind. I think that this was a fruitful and positive discussion.
                          I understand what you're saying Farnsworth, a good writer may have very good scripts that are not quite what the industry needs at this point, and so could use tweaking. And the manager helps guide that tweaking.

Comment

Yes, NYNEX, that's what I meant.

Also joe said something very important: managers become invested in you when they share the story vision. Screenwriting is a collaborative business. The project I am working on with my manager was his idea, although I have an extensive portfolio of my own spec scripts. My specs got him interested in my writing, but it was my agreeing to work on the project he suggested that gets and keeps him committed to working with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
                              my agreeing to work on the project he suggested that gets and keeps him committed to working with me.

Eeewww.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post
                                Eeewww.
                                I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

My former manager and current manager would send me articles and stuff all the time to try to spark something in me...or motivate or inspire me or whatever...it's part of their job.

Now where the potential could come into play is if Farnsworth splits with his manager and then his manager makes some sort of producorial claim on the script because it was his idea.

I'd get it straight up front that the finished script is yours, Farnsworth.
                                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                                X