Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does CAA rep newbies?

Does CAA ever rep new screenwriters?--That is, screenwriters who only have a few specs to promote that have not yet been picked up?

How about any of the other big 5 agencies?

Obviously, I have no expectation to be repped by a star agent right off the bat, but I just want to get a better idea for how wide I should cast the net...

Thanks in advance for your advice...

Re: Does CAA rep newbies?

Anyone will rep a great script.
    http://twitter.com/JohnSwetnam

Comment

Even if it's your first?

Comment

Originally posted by ruby-throated phil View Post
        Even if it's your first?

Yeah, but you have to be good at convincing the agents when pitching the script. Good luck.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Sorry to be the naysayer here, but you'll have a very, very tough time getting in the door at any of the top agencies without a referral. Some writers may claim that they did get their query read and script requested, but I haven't seen any cases where a cold query landed someone actual representation at one of the top tier agencies. But if anyone here wants to prove me wrong, I'm open to it.

Comment

We have a client who got repped at CAA off a cold query. The agent then hooked her up with us, management, which of course is entirely ass-backward as to how it usually goes.

Comment

Originally posted by darrylyo View Post
              We have a client who got repped at CAA off a cold query. The agent then hooked her up with us, management, which of course is entirely ass-backward as to how it usually goes.
              That is ass backwards. lol.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                Sorry to be the naysayer here, but you'll have a very, very tough time getting in the door at any of the top agencies without a referral. Some writers may claim that they did get their query read and script requested, but I haven't seen any cases where a cold query landed someone actual representation at one of the top tier agencies. But if anyone here wants to prove me wrong, I'm open to it.
                Good, cause you're wrong.
                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Not officially, but I got hip-pocketed by an agent at CAA off a cold query. This was a few years back though. You'll have more email filters to deal with today.

Comment

Originally posted by darrylyo View Post
                    that is really amazing. did your client have other substantial credentials though? or was he a total newbie which they accepted? ive found CAA to be the hardest place to get read out of all the agencies.

Comment

One word of advice is maybe to not think of thing is terms of agencies – those 3 letters can be awful intimidating if you look at things from that regard. What you want to do is focus on the agents that make these places such powerhouse. It’s your job to know the players and identify realistic targets. For example, you don’t want to be querying Risa Gertner, CAA’s head of Lit – but you may have a shot with recently promoted Lit agent Alex Lerner for example. People get caught up by the glitz and glamour of getting read by these big name agents when in reality you want the agent that wants to make himself or herself a big name by launching your career. The big-timers have already launched numerous careers and have clients that are bringing in money to service. They don’t usually have the time to circle back and launch a new voice. They’ve already been there and done that….but plenty of talented and hungry agents at these bigger agencies haven’t and their futures hinge on being able to do so. Take it upon yourself to find out who the recently promoted agents at the bigger agencies are and target them (trackingb is a good source for this type of info). That’s your best and most realistic shot when it comes to the bigger agencies in my estimation. But I'm a firm believer in targeting managers first and letting them help land an agent for you.
                      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Like two and a half years ago I queried one of their big lit agents, he asked for the script. When he passed, he actually called to tell me that. I was so shocked I just sort of said "um...thanks for reading it".

The script had a good hook, but was poorly executed (early, early script). Just saying, a good hook could interest anyone.

Comment

Lightning can always, always strike. It certainly did for me.

For the most part, though, it usually doesn't.

That "big" agent didn't sign you, seh....he passed.

Somebody further down the chain and hungrier may have developed that good hook further with you and taken it out possibly.

The smarter targets at big agencies are the young, hungry recently promoted agents eager to do the hustle work to launch a new voice.

Comment

The best way in, IMHO, is by going after managers. They are not only more open, but they will "develop" the property with you, unlike most agents. And when you DO sign with a manager and work on the script and get it ready to go... you'd be better off if the thing wasn't already passed on at a big agency.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                              Lightning can always, always strike. It certainly did for me.

For the most part, though, it usually doesn't.

That "big" agent didn't sign you, seh....he passed.

Somebody further down the chain and hungrier may have developed that good hook further with you and taken it out possibly.

The smarter targets at big agencies are the young, hungry recently promoted agents eager to do the hustle work to launch a new voice.
                              Yeah, I know he didn't sign me Joe, lol. He truly screwed up ... but somehow managed to keep his job anyway. Go figure.

Seriously, I was only making the point that ANYONE might read you if the hook is good enough.

The script was far too raw to go out, but I didn't really know that back then. But I do see your point that a younger agent may have thought of developing it. Better chances still a manager would, in a sitch like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X