Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation?

I'm having a little trouble choosing a path with my current spec. It's satirical (think Holy Grail or even Shrek) and some of the characters, although familiar, are truly outlandish. Although it wasn't my intention at all when I started, I could easily see it as an animated feature if I removed some of the more adult themes.

So, my question is, once this thing is ready to query or in other talks about the project, do I mention that I think it could be adapted to animation or just let it stand on its own and let them figure it out?

Thanks for your advice.
    On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Re: Animation?

I would hit up reps first of course but I wouldn't mention either of those things. Just try and get the logline down and make it enticing and let the reps figure out what market is better to approach selling the material to.

EJ

Comment

If you think it would work as an animated feature, query companies/studios/producers that make animated films. I wouldn't mention it to them, just let them come to the conclusion themselves.

Comment

There's so few companies that do animation, and just this year Imagemovers (Cgi guys w/ Rob Zemeckis at the helm) and that big Asian company (name I forget but they did ASTRO BOY) popped already.

Without knowing the concept, it's hard, but I would put money on it being a straight live-action, than cgi or mix. That said again, your reps would know better who to take the material to.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
          There's so few companies that do animation, and just this year Imagemovers (Cgi guys w/ Rob Zemeckis at the helm) and that big Asian company (name I forget but they did ASTRO BOY) popped already.

EJ
          It's IMAGI - based in Hong Kong.

The irony of it is that the founders, prior to going into the Animation business, owned and operated an extremely profitable business making Christmas Tree decorations...ah, from unsexy to sexy to bankrupcy...

Comment

I guess my dilemma is more about how to write the thing. I probably just need to make up my mind, but as it is, I can see it almost as two separate scripts; one being a little more adult in the satirical humor and darker and the other being a little more cartoony.

I guess I could write both versions and send whichever was more appropriate.
            On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Working...
            X