Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
iDV8
User

Default Original vs. Adapted Screenplay

Is an Original screenplay worth more to ones writing career than an Adapted screenplay? Does one have more value over the other?

Last edited by iDV8 : 02-28-2011 at 02:37 AM.
iDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
AJ_FIN
Regular

Default Re: Original vs. Adapted Screenplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDV8 View Post
Is an Original screenplay worth more to ones writing career than an Adapted screenplay? Does one have more value over the other?
No.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
SoCalScribe

Quote:
A great script is a great script.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
emily blake

Here's a question. Let's say you're trying to get an assignment doing an adaptation. Does the fact that you've only written original ideas before play a part in whether you get hired? By that I mean, do the producers usually consider whether you've ever done an adaptation as an important part of the decision?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ke/tenspotting
emily blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Todd Karate
Regular

I haven't found that to be the case- they're generally more interested in your work being a good match in genre and tone.
Todd Karate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
Here's a question. Let's say you're trying to get an assignment doing an adaptation. Does the fact that you've only written original ideas before play a part in whether you get hired? By that I mean, do the producers usually consider whether you've ever done an adaptation as an important part of the decision?
I'm heard the opposite - that it's hard to hire someone unless you've seen something original that they wrote, because otherwise you never know how much was them and how much was the underlying material.

But I heard this back in film school, and can't remember the exact source, so I don't want to wager on what percentage of producers/studio execs actually care about such things.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
emily blake

Thanks guys. Good to know.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ke/tenspotting
emily blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
SoCalScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
In my experience, the best of all possible writers "on paper" is the one who's done both a successful original work, and a successful adaptations. Each has pros and cons (there's no question of what work was yours and what was underlying material in an original; but adapting something requires the ability to synthesize underlying material and condense/expand/adjust it as necessary to make the best screen story).

Both are valuable skills to have, and having a writing sample of each (just like having a spec TV show and an original pilot for television) is ideal... but for the record I've never seen a writer with a great original script not get a job on an adaptation (or vice versa). This is strictly in a, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice" way, not in a "this is a rule and you must have both or you'll never get the job" kind of way.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
iDV8
User

In my case I have a choice. I wrote a screenplay about a guy and he is still writing his book. I have had a couple of hours of video interviews, personal and telephone conversations and have read his 80 journal pages so it's definitely not an adaptation because there wasn't a book when I wrote the screenplay. The "guy" would love it to say "adapted from the book" but I think I'd rather be credited as the writer of an original screenplay.
iDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
KWhit
User

Quote:
In my case I have a choice. I wrote a screenplay about a guy and he is still writing his book. I have had a couple of hours of video interviews, personal and telephone conversations and have read his 80 journal pages so it's definitely not an adaptation because there wasn't a book when I wrote the screenplay. The "guy" would love it to say "adapted from the book" but I think I'd rather be credited as the writer of an original screenplay.
This sounds almost exactly like the situation with The Social Network. Sorkin was working on the screenplay at the same time that Ben Mezrich was working on the book. They shared notes, but each pretty much did their own thing.

Still, The Social Network is considered an adaptation.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote