Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Descendants

A very good movie with plenty of sharp humor and an equal measure of sharp family drama. Not at all mopey or depressing. Strengthened by an insightful perspective on Hawaii based on reality, not vacation brochures.

An amazing trenchant supporting performance by Robert Forster.

Spoiler.....

A recurring dramatic gambit that was suprising and effective (and darkly humorous when you think about it): several characters, at different times and for reasons particular to each of them, vent their anger, frustration, rage and disappointment face-to-face to the protag's insensate wife, lying in a coma near death in a hospital bed.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
      I think it could be very beneficial for the writing community here if people offering differing opinions on this film could elaborate on them.

For example, would you name a film that you do consider 'Oscar caliber' and then articulate, what, exactly, the difference was? What was one lacking that the other had, in reference to story, character, etc?

If you could figure that out, you would be on your way to writing something really great, no?
      Wow, somebody took offence.

My opinion: not the kind of film I'm into so I'll skip it.
      Should I now psycho-analyse that statement, for the benefit of the writing community?
      Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

I loved this film. It's small, but perfectly observed. It's a look at a family where the family glue/engine, aka Mom, is in a coma. The other members - husband and two daughters - are satellites that have just lost their planet and they have to deal with each other seemingly for the first time. Not only is their planet/Mom gone but they discover she was deeply flawed. It's really the story of George Clooney (dad) and eldest daughter figuring out that they can live without the mom.
        ScriptGal
        Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
        Fifteen Years Development Experience
        http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Really want to see this movie when it hits the UK!

Read the screenplay last year and loved it!

Comment

Just found out the German from Beerfest (Nat Faxon) and the Dean from Community (Jim Rash) co-wrote this. Wow. Incredible screenplay.
            "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

yes and no. they were the original writers, but Alexander Payne apparently rewrote that draft substantially before filming "his" version. i got the impression during award season that he (Payne) wasn't super thrilled about sharing credit with the others but that was how it got written up

Comment

Working...
              X