Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Writing Exercises
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
dpaterso

Default V'Day 2012 contest entries

V.D. standing of course for Valentine's Day. For more info on this fun challenge, see here.

Entry titles will be added here as they're received and posted:

THE BOX
DATING THE DEAD
THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT URSULA

Feb 15 edit: looks like a distinct lack of entries this time around! Maybe the February ScriptFever challenge happening at the same time has siphoned off a couple of folks who might otherwise have shown up for the V.D. challenge. No worries, life happens, what can ya do. Karl/Road Warrior may post further thoughts on this [see here]. Thanks to those who wrote something. Writing practice never goes to waste!

Entrants should totally check out their scripts in case of any admin errors. PM me if you see any problems so I can make corrections.

Once all entries are in, please read 'em and vote for your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices. PM these to me, preferably in the format,

1st - title
2nd - title
3rd - title

Note, you can't vote for your own entry. It's assumed that everyone would do this anyway.

Thanks for taking part, through writing, voting, or both!

Halloween contest results posted!
And maybe start thinking about a Yuletide contest also!

Last edited by dpaterso : 02-16-2012 at 03:11 AM.
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
dpaterso

Default Re: V.D. contest entries

THE BOX

...Removed as per author request

Last edited by dpaterso : 02-21-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
dpaterso

DATING THE DEAD (1 of 2)

Code:
FADE IN: Rain beats down on this small shanty town... EXT. WILLIE'S HOUSE - MORNING A weatherboarded shed with blistering walls. Two plant pots, the contents withered and sad, sit either side of the red front door as though gesturing to cheer it up, they don't... WILLIE (V.O.) We moved here from Boston, my dad said it was going to be like Nirvana... The door CLICKS... Meet Willie Frightkin... We immediately get that he's a nervous kid, 22, or thereabouts, pale and thin. After glancing up at the weather he flips his hoodie up and sets off for town. WILLIE (V.O.) At least there's the internet cafe on Main. Willie extends his hand and catches a few rain drops. He turns his fingers over and rubbing between thumb and forefinger, we see the rain runs black... WILLIE (V.O.) That's where I first met Ursula. Willie turns onto the main drag, stepping over a huge puddle framing a rippling and ugly face, Willie looks up and sees the CRAZY PREACHER... EXT. MAIN STREET - TOWN - 5 MINUTES LATER Willie watches the sky ahead, it hangs over the town like a dark shroud. Red rays strike though the black and purple cloud line today. Willie shivers, and crosses the road where he passes under an old sign: "WELCOME TO MORDANT" Ahead of him is "The I-Cafe". The only bright sign on this street, glowing like a beacon in neon. WILLIE (V.O.) Stick with me. I'll show you around. INT. INTERNET CAFE - MOMENT LATER Various kids, many with their hoods pulled up, engrossed in contacting the outside world, lines of computers, kids welded to screens, message boards, friends in distant and glamorous towns, dreams, endless CLICKING... Willie frames the doorway, wet-through, he looks the place over. Tables, scattered chairs, old pop bottles, exploded packets of crisps, directly in his line of sight a calendar hangs limply on the wall... "February", the days aggressively crossed-out to the 13th by thick black marker. WILLIE (V.O.) Never a good day, for anything... Willie is yanked out of his thoughts as a kid turns and pulls his hood back: GRANT CAESAR, 24, blue eyes, a huge smiling mouth surrounded by acne, sporting a beard which he grooms continually between thumb and forefinger. GRANT Willie, dude! WILLIE (V.O.) This is my only friend. Grant Caesar. That's not his surname, he just uses it to distinguish himself, or so he says. Willie nonchalantly walks away from Grant embarrassed by the sudden sole attention from the entire room. But the CLICKING of the keyboards soon continues and he's forgotten. GRANT Willie. Wait. Willie looks back at the room to mark whose listening to Grant's mouth. The eyes are all on screens, vacant, blank. A touch scary, zombie-people. WILLIE (fixes Grant) Let's get some air. EXT. MAIN STREET - LATER Willie kicking a can, trying to keep it in the gutter, it shines like a fallen star, it's the only bright object in a grey street, sky, town... Grant is walking with purpose. Seemingly agitated. GRANT Got some breaking news, dude, I don't know how to start. WILLIE (V.O.) Grant speaks like this, you'd think he was CNN. I want to ask him if his sister is pregnant, again, instead I say- WILLIE Just lay it on me. The crazy preacher is on the opposite sidewalk. PREACHER God will place his hand upon them and they will become dust! Willie exchanges a nervous look with grant. GRANT ... well, I've found another, last Monday, there's at least seven of them now, the town's being overrun. WILLIE How can you tell it's another? GRANT By how they look, dress, smile. WILLIE Maybe it's because I'm an outsider that I can't spot them Grant. Grant stops and stares at Willie. GRANT Listen Will... you've got to finish with Ursula. CUT TO: EXT. CHURCHYARD - LATE AFTERNOON. The sky is even darker, no reds now. Willie sits on a gravestone. Grant is watching him, grooming his beard. WILLIE Every night? GRANT (softly) Six nights in a row. After midnight. Same grave. (Grant points) and then, disappears...who knows where? It's something about death, it attracts them. Willie looks away. Appears to be talking to himself. WILLIE We did that weird couple thing, you know, new couples do all sorts of weird things and anyway we did the one where we tried to find our pulses. GRANT So... WILLIE I couldn't find hers. INT. THE 'ZOMBIE BAR' AKA FRANKIES - TOWN - LATER The only bar in town that keeps a fire burning in the day. This accounts for some of the customers, but not all. Willie sits opposite Ursula. They've been arguing. URSULA So based upon what Grant says, you want to finish with me? WILLIE (nervous) I never said that. URSULA You said something that sounded a lot like that. When I pushed you also mentioned that other thing. Silence. Willie stares out the window, he can just see the preacher at the edge of town, standing in the rain, shouting at passing cars... WILLIE (distantly) Look, you've been acting quite strange recently Ursula, remote. Not like your old self. URSULA I'm not one of them. Willie, look at me, I'm warm, my cheeks are red. She turns Willie's chin towards her in her hand. URSULA (whispering)) I'm not 'dead' Willie, that's absurd, Grant is just jealous, he wants you to himself, don't you see? Silence. The tone changes. Ursula smiles. Willie softly enfolds her hand and kisses it. URSULA Are we still meeting for Valentine's at the Tipsy Cat? Willie kissing, glances up and smiles. WILLIE Sure are. I've got a surprise Ursula, something special. Ursula glances down. INT. URSULA'S BEDROOM - NIGHT. Ursula lying face down on her bed flicking cards... as we move in closer we see they are tarot cards. She smiles to herself as the last card falls... we glide away towards her bedside table, on it sits a miniature coffin. EXT. GRAVEYARD - 11.51PM - NIGHT Grant sipping from his styrofoam coffee cup... little curls of steam rise off it. He sits on a blue sleeping bag. Out of the dark, footsteps, padding softly, Grant's eyes widen, then his face relaxes... Willie appears out of the mist carrying a small bag of doughnuts. He hands the bag to Grant without speaking. EXT. CHURCHYARD - 12.15AM Willie lying close to Grant, sniper-style, shadowed by a large white family tomb. A street lamps glow falls across the graves, now the rain has stopped the mist is swirling. WILLIE (whispering) It's gone quarter past, she's not coming Grant. GRANT Sssshhh. Pass me another doughnut. EXT. CHURCHYARD - 12.34AM Grant nodding-off. Willie alert. WILLIE Grant... she's here! Grant's eyes snap open. They both watch a figure dressed like Ursula standing by a grave. Willie is frozen. EXT. GRAVE SIDE - LATER Willie and Grant staring down on the grave. GRANT Know them? WILLIE Not personally. INT. MOTHER TOOKOO'S SHACK - EDGE OF TOWN - FRIDAY 14TH FEBRUARY - DAWN A room full of stuffed animals and empty bottles, coloured glass of all shades. Willie's face is determined. MOTHER TOOKOO Once you've undergone this ceremony you will never be able to return to us. We've been here for two hours now and you still wish to join them? WILLIE It's what I most want... MOTHER TOOKOO You will be dead to the living but will walk in the light. WILLIE Please Mother Tookoo... it wont make any difference in this town. MOTHER TOOKOO And your heart demands it. WILLIE My heart demands it.
CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
dpaterso

DATING THE DEAD (2 of 2)

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST
Code:
INT. THE TIPSY CAT - 7.00PM - FEBRUARY 14TH - VALENTINE'S DAY Willie sits at a table nervously. He watches the waiters who pass by him and smiles nervously up at them. He keeps moving a small red box around the table cloth, placing it inside the decorative squares in turn. The door opens and Ursula sweeps in and in a moment is seated opposite Willie. She sighs- URSULA Sorry I'm late Willie, I've been so busy. Willie's nervousness seems to magnify. URSULA I've got to say something, I've been-- WILLIE No, it's okay, no confessions, I understand. I'm okay with it. URSULA With what? WILLIE With whatever it is. I know you're... one of them Ursula... and it's okay. Ursula looks into her lap for a long time and then she slowly raises her head and fixes her dark eyes on Willie. After a waiter deposits a glass of water on the table and leaves, Ursula begins. URSULA (sombre) There are a few of us in this town... we're tolerated, for the most part, but I'm not with them anymore. (she smiles) I went to Mother Tookoo last night. I've undertaken the ceremony, I'm with the living now, I only had one chance, like everyone, I will grow old now and die, I gave up my immortality, Willie, (her eyes glisten) ... for you. Willie reels, he grabs for the table cloth screwing it up into a knot in his fist. Ursula stares around, nervous, worried by all the attention, she grabs him. Willie's eyes roll in his face. URSULA What's up sweetie, I thought you'd be happy, please Willie, what's wrong? Ursula notices the red box, we can tell she knows what's inside it. The ring. The diamond cluster Willie pointed to in the jeweler's window last month. WILLIE (struggling) I went to Mother Tookoo. Ursula's warm red cheeks drain. URSULA No. WILLIE I took the ceremony. Feel. Ursula slowly reaches across the table and places her hand over Willie's wrist, and then looks up into his eyes. URSULA You're... you... did this for me? WILLIE (smiles) Yeah. URSULA (vaguely, listless) The living and the dead can never be together. WILLIE What's that? URSULA Mother Tookoo's words. A waiter with dark eyes, hollow eyes, walks up to the table, smiling at Ursula, just like he knows her. He places a red rose inside a glass vase, and slowly retreats. They look back at each other over the top of the rose. WILLIE What now? URSULA (smiling) Willie... I've never dated the dead before. I always preferred the living. THE END.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
dpaterso

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT URSULA

Code:
FADE IN: EXT. CEMETERY - NIGHT A wrought-iron sign, MORDANT CEMETERY, over stone pillars. Camera moves through the sign, which busts apart, just like in that old B/W movie made by that guy. Tracking a WOMAN wearing a long coat who enters the cemetery. Her high heels click on the slab path that winds between a sea of tombstones. She walks with a slow, measured step. She's the only person in the cemetery. Except for... HIDING IN THE BUSHES Just a pair of eyes visible, wide with fear, watching. AMONG THE TOMBSTONES The woman slows as she examines various tombstones. IN THE BUSHES A digital camera, held by shaky hands. AMONG THE TOMBSTONES Finally the woman stops at a particular grave, her back to us. IN THE BUSHES The digital camera CLICKS AMONG THE TOMBSTONES The woman straightens -- turns her head -- looks over her shoulder. Her eyes narrow. She heard it. This is URSULA. Possessing a cold beauty that might be described as otherworldly, if the person doing the describing was high on meth. IN THE BUSHES The photographer scrambles back, movements dictated by his growing terror. This is GRANT. Doomed to forever be a nerd, and probably a virgin too, until he dies alone in front of a widescreen TV watching nude cheerleaders making love. Grant gets up and runs away as if demons from Hell were chasing him. He clutches the digital camera to his chest. AMONG THE TOMBSTONES Ursula ignores the distraction and returns her attention to the tombstone at which she stands. She seems to address the tombstone... or whoever rests here. URSULA Tell me everything you know. EXT. TIPSY CAT RESTAURANT - DAY It's morning so the place is empty of customers. WILLIE, a young man of dubious dress sense, is with KITTY the restaurant's owner. Kitty is one of those women who appear in movies who are witty, intelligent, and incredibly attractive, yet somehow remain single. Willie opens a ring box, showing Kitty the diamond ring inside. Kitty gasps, as women sometimes do when they see a diamond ring. KITTY Oh my God, it's beautiful. WILLIE You think she'll like it? KITTY I really do. WILLIE The flowers, what if they wilt in the kitchen? It's hot in there. KITTY I'll keep 'em in the fridge. Don't worry about it, everything's going to be fine. WILLIE Sorry, just a little nervous. KITTY I guess it's not every day you propose to someone. WILLIE No, no it is not. KITTY Are you sure about this girl, Willie? WILLIE Sure I'm sure, why would you, why do you say that? KITTY There's just something about her, I don't know. WILLIE You know her? KITTY Not personally, no. I know of her. WILLIE What does, you know "of" her, meaning what? KITTY Just what people say. Some people. WILLIE Well what do some people say? You can't just say something like that and let it go. Are you telling me she's a slut? KITTY No, I didn't say she's a slut. WILLIE Just how many boyfriends has she had? One? Two? Sixty-seven? KITTY How should I know? All I'm asking is, just how sure are you? Any time you talk about her, you're vague. WILLIE I'm not vague. KITTY How long have you known her? WILLIE God. Why would you even ask that question? I've known her, all my life, it seems. KITTY You're right, you're not vague. It's gonna be fine. All you have to do is turn up. And make sure she turns up, too. Willie's cell phone plays a dinky tune, Willie smiles an apology to Kitty and fumbles to answer it. WILLIE (INTO PHONE) Where the hell have you been? INT. GRANT'S CAR, IN A PARKING LOT - DAY Willie and Grant. Willie fiddles with the digital camera, thumbing through pictures on the LCD screen. WILLIE You hid in the church all night? GRANT I'm sorry, I'm not as strong as you. WILLIE You're an atheist. GRANT That doesn't mean I can't believe in God when I need him. WILLIE You're sure it was her? GRANT I waited for two hours, in the bushes, things crawled into my mouth, she was the only other person there. WILLIE I'm not seeing her. GRANT That's what I'm telling you. She doesn't take pictures. WILLIE Now you're just being stupid. GRANT She's a ghoul, a creature of the night. WILLIE Now you're being really stupid. GRANT Am I? AM I? Why don't you ask her yourself? Why am I crawling around in dirt taking pictures of tombstones? Why don't you just ASK HER, DAMMIT! WILLIE I will. INT. URSULA'S STUDIO - DAY Chic, well furnished. Ursula sits at a table facing GRANDMOTHER (70s) and SKEPTICAL GRANDSON (30s). Ursula deals Tarot cards. Every time she turns a card over she pauses and seems to consider what it might mean. GRANDMOTHER I hope you don't mind my grandson being here. He insisted. URSULA It doesn't affect me at all. As long as you're comfortable with it. SKEPTICAL GRANDSON I just wanted to make sure Grammy is getting value for money. Since she seems to give you enough of it. URSULA Perhaps you'd like me to demonstrate? SKEPTICAL GRANDSON Oh, I really would like to see that. URSULA I'm not reading for your grandmother, Mr. Hutchison. SKEPTICAL GRANDSON What? URSULA These cards are for you. Would you like to know what they tell me? SKEPTICAL GRANDSON Oh boy, yes. URSULA Let's skip school and college, and the accountancy exam you cheated in. You've been married twice. Both marriages ended in divorce. You have no children, and never will have any. You should get your sperm count checked. Your career is about to take an unexpected turn. They're going to find out about the missing funds. Putting the account in your first wife's name, not clever enough. SKEPTICAL GRANDSON WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? URSULA The cards never lie, Andy. You've been a cheat and a liar and an abusive creep all your life. Karma has caught up with you. Skeptical Grandson angrily shoves his chair back and stands. He glares down at Ursula, who meets his gaze calmly. He storms out, slamming the door. His Grandmother flinches. URSULA I'm sorry about that. GRANDMOTHER It's me who should be apologizing. Grandmother smiles and leans forward. GRANDMOTHER Are there any new messages for me? END OF PARTIAL SCRIPTMENT

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
dpaterso

The entrants were (highlight text to see):

THE BOX - DangoForth
DATING THE DEAD - The Road Warrior
THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT URSULA - dpaterso