Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
stainjm

Default ScriptShadow

What exactly is ScriptShadow? How does it work? I checked out the site and it just seems to be script reviews, no?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
stainjm

Default Re: ScriptShadow

Just a blog? But sometimes amateurs can submit scripts?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
emily blake

Scriptshadow started as a blog where an amateur screenwriter got copies of spec scripts and read them, then critiqued them publicly so he could share what he learned.

It became wildly popular in the aspiring screenwriting community. He took some heat for posting links to screenplays in production, so now he only sends the scripts through an email list that everyone knows about. After a while he started posting articles about things he'd learned of philosophies he had about writing. He hosted a few contests where people could have their loglines or pages reviewed on the site. His following continued to grow. Eventually he began a notes service.

The contests were very popular, so he started a weekly critique of amateur scripts submitted to him by anyone who was willing to risk having their script eviscerated (I mean that in a good way) in return for his notes, and the notes of commenters on his blog. As his popularity grew, he upped his fees for notes since he became in higher demand.

Then he read a script - submitted through his notes service I believe, although if I'm wrong, someone please correct me - called The Disciple Program. This script had already won one contest, but the writer, Tyler Marcecca, wanted to get as much input as he could so he submitted it to Scriptshadow. Carson (Scriptshadow's assumed name) raved about it, Tweeted and posted about it, and got it into the hands of several Industry pros around town. Tyler was signed by WME shortly after.

Carson raised his prices for notes. Shortly after that, he began to ponder being a producer when he attached himself to another writer's project.

Now he has moved to Los Angeles and has begun testing the waters for a career in producing, although he still maintains his script review blog and continues to offer notes for a $1,000 fee.

Last edited by emily blake : 09-17-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
TBEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
The contests were very popular, so he started a weekly critique of amateur scripts submitted to him by anyone who was willing to risk having their script eviscerated in return for his notes, and the notes of commenters on his blog. As his popularity grew, he upped his fees for notes since he became in higher demand.
He doesn't make you pay for notes if you submitted to him and he chooses to review it, he doesn't advertise his paid notes service.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
emily blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBEagle View Post
He doesn't make you pay for notes if you submitted to him and he chooses to review it, he doesn't advertise his paid notes service.
He does advertise his service in his email blast to his readers. Or at least, he did before I took myself off the list.

But just to clarify what you just posted, if you give him a grand and he loves your script, he'll review it on the site, possibly hype it to his contacts, and give you your money back, correct?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
JeffLowell

It's kind of like Joe's money raising deal with Benderspink. Except instead of 25 bucks, it's a thousand bucks. And instead of helping fight heart disease, you're paying for an apartment. And instead of maybe ending up with a great rep, you might end up with a guy who's going to produce, once his readers tell him what that job entails in the comments section.

So, same same.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Dr. Vergerus

The scripts submitted for Amateur Friday are reviewed free of charge; of a number of submisions, Carson will choose one every week depending on the concept or the e-mail from the writer. The Disciple Program was submited for an Amateur Friday review, not for paid notes.

The paid notes service Carson provides (I remember him mentioning it once or twice, but never seen it advertised) is a whole different thing, doesn't work through the Scriptshadow blog. The writer of The Disciple Program had sent a previous screenplay to get paid notes from Carson, and if I remember correctly, he praised those notes in a later interview.

The Amateur Friday reviews are similar to the reviews he makes of professional screenplays in lenght and format; I assume the paid notes are much longer and more thorough.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
TBEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
He does advertise his service in his email blast to his readers. Or at least, he did before I took myself off the list.
I guess so the only thing i've seen was him saying he had a note service not really shoehorning it in the emails.
Quote:
But just to clarify what you just posted, if you give him a grand and he loves your script, he'll review it on the site, possibly hype it to his contacts, and give you your money back, correct?
Probably not, but there has only been one case were this has happened with the variables you suggested, every other time he hyped a amateur screenplay the writers didn't pay him for his notes
Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Deion22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
It's kind of like Joe's money raising deal with Benderspink. Except instead of 25 bucks, it's a thousand bucks. And instead of helping fight heart disease, you're paying for an apartment. And instead of maybe ending up with a great rep, you might end up with a guy who's going to produce, once his readers tell him what that job entails in the comments section.

So, same same.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Bitter Script Reader
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
The Amateur Friday reviews are similar to the reviews he makes of professional screenplays in lenght and format; I assume the paid notes are much longer and more thorough.
$1000 buys you three pages of notes, approx 2000 words worth of review of the 2 or 3 main issues with your script.
Closed Thread