Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
FURIOUS BOWLER
User

Default Incognito Pictures

Anybody else here have a run in with these guys and their $1 option?
FURIOUS BOWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Racoon
User

Default Re: Incognito Pictures

No, just all their relatives who all believe in the free or dollar option. I am beginning to think that paid options (over 1$) are a thing of the past.

It's funny cause when a producer calls me, sometimes before he or she has read the script they will start talking and almost quickly slip in the dollar option thingy. I think they want to find out if it makes me mad or if I am not too upset by it before they continue.

At least they are upfront and dont try to sneak it in when you get ready to sign a contract?

racoon
Racoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
NotTheBard
User

Problem's with the writers, who value their own work so little that they just keep giving away their work for free, establishing precedent after precedent.

Too many producers out there with more than enough cash flow keep getting these free options.

Things are tough on producers? What about the writers? Writers don't seem to have to put food on the table or bills to pay.

Wanting to produce without paying for the script is like a writer wanting to get paid to do so without having ever written a single line of script.
NotTheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
emily blake

Bill Martell has a post where he talks about a guy he knows who will give you a dollar option and then shove your script on a shelf, where he just hangs onto it in case someone comes around looking for that kind of thing. He doesn't have to do anything with your script because he didn't invest anything in it.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Racoon
User

But what about the few rare ones who actively start pitching your script and seeking funding etc? At least they are trying. I guess its just a gamble and you gotta do your homework to see who is actually producing stuff or just optioning for the fun of it.

Racoon
Racoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Dr. Vergerus

This reminds me of something Harlan Ellison said in Dreams with Sharp Teeth: "It's amateurs that make things hard for professional writers" (not exactly his words but more or less.)

As long as there are people willing to option their work for peanuts, or do free rewrites, it will continue getting worse and worse for writers.

OT: And here's another thing he said that I really liked: "Most writers I know run that idiotic number about 'Oh, I like to have written but I don't like to write. It's hard work.'... Of course it's hard work. If it weren't hard work, everybody would be doing it. And the better you do it, the harder the work is... Art is supposed to be hard." Can't tell how many times I've heard that stupid line, and often the person saying it seemed to think it was witty and original instead of a boring cliché. That and "you learn a lot reading screenplays, especially bad ones" always make me roll my eyes.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Kermet Key

Coming from an unsold writer who is switching to becoming a producer who has yet to produce (much of) anything, my approach so far has been -what works best for everyone? I am currently working with an artist on the logo design for my company - FrogFish.com - and I have offered to buy her designs at a price she has agreed as well as the promise of a contract (before usage) that will give her 10% of any merchandise those logos are on. Is that fair? I thought it was and she thought it was generous, so I don't know.

I first learned how to write screenplays and some of the industry from that perspective because being as poor as I am I wanted to be able to do the one thing that wouldn't cost me (any) a lot of money when I wanted to produce. Now I am learning all the various roles of independent filmmaking, both in class and working on no-budget films with friends, so that I have a better understanding of everyone's role. With that, as I move forward I will have a better understanding of what everyone working on one of my projects needs/wants and will negotiate with the mindset - "Greatest good for the greatest number."
Old 09-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
This reminds me of something Harlan Ellison said in Dreams with Sharp Teeth: "It's amateurs that make things hard for professional writers" (not exactly his words but more or less.)

As long as there are people willing to option their work for peanuts, or do free rewrites, it will continue getting worse and worse for writers.

OT: And here's another thing he said that I really liked: "Most writers I know run that idiotic number about 'Oh, I like to have written but I don't like to write. It's hard work.'... Of course it's hard work. If it weren't hard work, everybody would be doing it. And the better you do it, the harder the work is... Art is supposed to be hard." Can't tell how many times I've heard that stupid line, and often the person saying it seemed to think it was witty and original instead of a boring cliché. That and "you learn a lot reading screenplays, especially bad ones" always make me roll my eyes.
Amen.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote