Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Originally posted by briking View Post
    Took the plunge and posted my script to the black list:

https://www.blcklst.com/members/scripts/manage/17701

It's a former PAGE awards finalist. I just finished a massive rewrite on it.
    Your link should be the "View" page and not the "manage" page. Cause only you have access to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikosk View Post
      Your link should be the "View" page and not the "manage" page. Cause only you have access to that.
      Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

My script just got an 8 overall, 8 dialogue and plot, and 10 for character... perhaps you'd like to take a look at it:

SECOND PLACE HERO

Dark Action Comedy

A bipolar theater geek heads to school and gets thrust into a role he never expected to play: a real-life hero who must stop a band of goons from kidnapping a fellow classmate.

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/16618

This was a 2013 Nicholl Semifinalist, and I've rewritten it since then.

While your're there, why not check out my new spec:

THE BERZERKERS

Action Thriller

A team of disabled vets reluctantly reunite when their former commander drops a bombshell on them: the terrorist who caused their disabilities is in America to pull off a devastating attack, and they're the only ones who can stop it.

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/16794

For some reason, I can't make the evaluations public. You might see them. Customer service (the best customer service in the business, by the way) is working with me to make them public.

Thank you for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by happywash View Post
          My script just got an 8 overall, 8 dialogue and plot, and 10 for character... perhaps you'd like to take a look at it:

SECOND PLACE HERO

Dark Action Comedy

A bipolar theater geek heads to school and gets thrust into a role he never expected to play: a real-life hero who must stop a band of goons from kidnapping a fellow classmate.

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/16618
          In a thread back in September, you said this script got an 8. But it says you only got 1 rating. What's goin' on?
          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Ah, I put it up back in September, right when I found out I made the Nicholl Semifinals. I did get an 8, then after I got some play out of it (and some calls), I took it down because I was getting requests from agencies due to the Nicholl and I wanted to have control over who saw it (as opposed to them going to the BL).

I've rewritten it since then, and the version I put up is different than the one that was up in September. I still got an overall 8, but some of my components were higher.

I wanted to see if the rewrites helped. I can say that they didn't hurt, and that my character work got better.

That's the long and short of it. Two different times. Two different versions. Pretty much the same result.

And I think there's two ratings on there. Another 8.
            Last edited by happywash; 04-23-2014, 07:00 PM. Reason: I just saw there's a second rating on there. Another 8.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
              Never tried this site before. Decided to take the plunge. I uploaded my latest little baby and ordered two reviews. This is essentially a first draft that's been through one round of reader screening and minor tweaks, so putting it out there might be a stunning act of hubris. I'll let you know what my scores are if I don't get brutalized...and maybe even if I do.
              First review came in this morning.

Overall - 7/10
              Premise - 7/10
              Plot - 7/10
              Character - 7/10
              Dialogue - 7/10
              Setting - 6/10

Prospects:
              "The script in and of itself is a delightful thrill ride with memorable characters and a satisfying ending. That said, the contrasting tones mixed with the expensive nature of the period setting may make it difficult to get it made. However, with the right casting and a strong director that gets what the script is going for, it's possible for this to get turned into a feature film with limited adjustments."

I'm glad that the reviewer clearly understood the vibe that I was going for.

The scores didn't hit the elusive 8 barrier, but most of the comments were positive. I chose to make the evaluation public. I'll let you know if I get any views/downloads off that.

Comment

...The scores didn't hit the elusive 8 barrier, but most of the comments were positive. I chose to make the evaluation public. I'll let you know if I get any views/downloads off that.
                Congratulations. Those are decent scores and nice comments, especially for a first draft. I would be interested in knowing if it gets any attention without a mention in the newsletter.

Comment

I'm throwing two of my scripts back up after a year+ hiatus so I can opt into the Disney fellowship. Both of them have been revised, one of them substantially. For one I made the review private but kept the score visible. The reviewer mentioned tightening up some of the scenes and the dialogue (though he gave me an 8 for dialogue.) His criticism was valid and I've addressed it, so I didn't want the review for a much older draft to display.

Here they are if anyone wants to check them out:

SIR PLUM: The true story of P.G. Wodehouse, the famous comic novelist, who finds himself behind enemy lines during World War II and accused by the British of betraying his country. THE KING'S SPEECH meets FINDING NEVERLAND.
                  https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/17768

MR. MALCOLM'S LIST: When a mysterious young lady arrives in London and begins meeting every qualification on his list of desired qualities in a bride, Mr. Malcolm is not sure whether he's found the perfect woman, or the perfect hoax.
                  https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/6641

Comment

Meh. First review came back as a 7. I got an 8 for setting so I'll be on the Monday e-mails.

You can see it here https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/17447

What surprised me most was the 4 for character. In my previous draft (Which got 3 5's overall) I got 6's across the board for character. And I changed nothing in this one! In fact, I got hammered for my female lead being one-dimensional. I mean, she is. But Han Solo is one-dimensional as well, and look how he turned out.

He also complained my secondary characters were exposition machines. Well, duh. This is a hyper-original sci-fi at 136 pages. There's literally no room for the minors to chit chat about their inner feelings. I mean, they're distinctive. One's a cowardly lion, the other is a rash, brave, gun-hugger. But to develop them as well, and add backstories? Come on!
                    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                      Congratulations. Those are decent scores and nice comments, especially for a first draft. I would be interested in knowing if it gets any attention without a mention in the newsletter.
                      Thanks.

My second review came in at a less than ideal 6 overall, but between the two scores it was enough to get the script comfortably in the "top lists" section.

Thus far I haven't seen any real benefit. No new pro downloads. Just a lot of peer views, which I'm guessing are other anxious writers scoping out the competition. I've thought about ordering one more review to chase the elusive 8, but I don't know if it's worth the $$$.

I will leave the script up there for a while and see if anything happens. I also shot it off to the Nicholl. It's far too divisive to make the finals, but if it can clear the first round hurdle then that will give me at least a little bit of marketing leverage.

Comment

Less than a week of hosting remains for my script, Eat at Ray's.

I'd appreciate any feedback if anyone has the time to take a look:

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/17240

Comment

Less than a week of hosting remains for my script, Eat at Ray's.

I'd appreciate any feedback if anyone has the time to take a look:

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/17240
                          I just edited my preferences to allow other writers to download the script. If anyone wants to do a review swap, shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Comment

THE HOTLINE
                            (Dark Comedy)

A young humanitarian bent on saving the world gets caught up in the big business of a for-profit suicide hotline.

https://www.blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/17823

"The premise offers the opportunity for lots of laughs, and the script doesn't disappoint... The comedy here is very strong throughout - thanks both to clever, witty dialogue and distinct characters."

"The leads are likeable, castable, and marketable - three positives in the eyes of financiers, who will want a film like this to sell theater seats. Also - this script is relatively inexpensive, considering it's mostly dialogue driven, and could take place in virtually any American city."
                            http://twitter.com/gregbrainos
                            http://www.facebook.com/greg.brainos

Comment

Originally posted by happywash View Post
                              Ah, I put it up back in September, right when I found out I made the Nicholl Semifinals. I did get an 8, then after I got some play out of it (and some calls), I took it down because I was getting requests from agencies due to the Nicholl and I wanted to have control over who saw it (as opposed to them going to the BL).
                              Would you do that again -- take it down so interested parties have to talk to you first? Do you think it helped or hurt?
                              "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                              Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

I think it helped, because I received a lot of requests for the script from a lot of managers and agencies due to the Nicholl notification on October 1st last year. I'm not sure how many of them knew I was on the Black List anyway.

Would I do it again? If I get to the semis or higher this year for a different script, no, because I can point to my script on the Black List. But if the same script makes it to the semis or higher, then, yes, I will take it down (or suspend it, at least) so I can keep track of who's reading.

Because of the direct contact, I've made some connections with managers and a lot of assistants, and I've had some good conversations with them over the past year. I find that to be extremely valuable.

Comment

Working...
                                X