Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing a story as director

Currently I'm developing a screenplay together with a screenwriter. Once we're done with the outlines he will start on the first draft and I will review and contribute from the sideline.

He does most of the work, but still, once it's finished, I'll have a lot of time invested in the whole process.

How do I make sure my rights are protected? Should I ask for a co-writer credit even though I didn't actually do any of the writing? How can I make sure I'll stay attached to the script as director?
    film director & screenwriter
    http://www.hugokeijzer.com

Re: Developing a story as director

As far as I know, if you didn't do any actual writing, you aren't entitled to a co-writing credit. Perhaps a "story by" co-credit might be appropriate, but only if you contributed to the story.

As for staying attached to direct, well, the only way to guarantee that is to produce it yourself...
    il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Originally posted by Hugokeijzer View Post
      Currently I'm developing a screenplay together with a screenwriter. Once we're done with the outlines he will start on the first draft and I will review and contribute from the sideline.

He does most of the work, but still, once it's finished, I'll have a lot of time invested in the whole process.

How do I make sure my rights are protected? Should I ask for a co-writer credit even though I didn't actually do any of the writing? How can I make sure I'll stay attached to the script as director?
      Was it your idea? If so, share story by. If not, no credit.

To protect your rights, i.e., investment of time and energy, either option the material or create a shopping agreement with the writer.

Comment

Option or buy the script, or pay the writer as a work for hire.

In either case, you need a contract and to pay the writer consideration.

Comment

If you ask for a co-writer credit even though you didn't actually do any of the writer, please offer a co-directing credit to the screenwriter in return, even though he won't actually do any of the directing.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
            If you ask for a co-writer credit even though you didn't actually do any of the writer, please offer a co-directing credit to the screenwriter in return, even though he won't actually do any of the directing.
            I wish DD had a "like" button.
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

ZING!

lol

Comment

Alright, this is clearly a controversial subject.

Let me ask you this;

Two guys get locked into a room. To kill time they decide to write a screenplay.

They come up with a story and together they develop every step of it. The idea originated out of their combined creativity, the outlines were shaped and structured together, the characters brought to life, giving them backstory, depth and dimension, all as a combined effort.

Because this room has only one computer they decide one of them will use it to start typing the first draft. Though every word, line and paragraph are discussed, created and reviewed together. While one types, the other one studies and does research for the story.

Then the first draft is done. Both read, examine, review and comment. They discuss the story, think of ways of improving it and 'one' uses the computer to execute their choices, while 'the other one' looks over his shoulder every step of the way.

Finally they're rescued. One of the firemen, who also happens to be the nephew of a famous producer, reads the screenplay, loves it, wants to plug it and then asks the two men:

"who is the writer?"
                film director & screenwriter
                http://www.hugokeijzer.com

Comment

"who is the writer?"
                  I dunno -- but that's a helluva pitch for a movie.

"People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

]
                    "who is the writer?"
                    Both -- they're a writing team. Provided that actual sentences and actual dialog came from both of them. If one of them just provided his "vision" and "great ideas" the writer is the one who put those into sentences and words. Because this is actual work. Everyone has vision and ideas.

Edit:
                    You said "Once we're done with the outlines he will start on the first draft and I will review and contribute from the sideline" -- if so, he is the writer, you are not.

Comment

Can't you just do up a written agreement stating it is your movie but he will be given the writing credit and you will produce/ direct?

I did that recently, as the writer, and the director contributed to the story, even wrote the first act (that I completely revised), but he isn't trying to put his name as the writer because I wrote it.

Just shoot the movie and you don't have a problem.
                      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

'one' uses the computer to execute their choices, while 'the other one' looks over his shoulder every step of the way.

"who is the writer?"
                        Answer: the one on the computer executing the choices.

Comment

You're making a tremendous mistake not having a written agreement with the writer indicating the terms (for both of you) ahead of time.

You should get "story by" credit if you came up with the story together.

You should not get writing credit if he's writing it.

If you want to ensure you're attached as the director, put it in a written agreement. Have your entertainment attorney review and then you sign.

After that - begin your project.

Comment

Q: "Who is the writer?"

A: Whoever negotiated to be the writer in the contract.

You don't have a contract? There's your problem.

Comment

Alright, this is clearly a controversial subject.

Let me ask you this;

Two guys get locked into a room. To kill time they decide to write a screenplay.
                              Okay. So far, so good.

They come up with a story and together they develop every step of it. The idea originated out of their combined creativity, the outlines were shaped and structured together, the characters brought to life, giving them backstory, depth and dimension, all as a combined effort.
                              Got it. Seems clear that they have co-authored the *story* of what will eventually be a screenplay. So far on my scoresheet, I have "story by A & B".

Because this room has only one computer they decide one of them will use it to start typing the first draft.
                              I'm sorry. Wait. What? Typing?

Typing is a manual activity.

Do you mean that the two people agree on what should be typed, and then one person's fingers make the words appear on the page?

Or do you mean that the two people agree on what the scene and story should be, and then one person's brain executes that vision as a written scene?

If the former, then screenplay by A & B. If the latter, then screenplay by B.

Though every word, line and paragraph are discussed, created and reviewed together. While one types, the other one studies and does research for the story.
                              Please explain. He writes, then you read, then you discuss, then you both agree on exactly what should be changed and how, and then his fingers push the keys to effectuate this? I'm very confused, particularly in light of how you first characterized this collaboration.

Then the first draft is done. Both read, examine, review and comment. They discuss the story, think of ways of improving it and 'one' uses the computer to execute their choices, while 'the other one' looks over his shoulder every step of the way.
                              Sounds like he's writing, and you're producing/directing.

Finally they're rescued. One of the firemen, who also happens to be the nephew of a famous producer, reads the screenplay, loves it, wants to plug it and then asks the two men:

"who is the writer?"
                              Naturally, you point to the writer and say, "He is."

Comment

Working...
                              X