Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Writing Exercises
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
dpaterso

Default Results - Voluptuous Valentines contest 2013

Without further ado, the vote spread and totals:
Code:
Title 1st 2nd 3rd Total Bestiality 2 2 1 11 You Had Me At Hello 0 It Would Have Been Great 3 1 3 14 Valentine's Days 2 4 Bad Romance 1 3 Buick 1 1 Secret Admirer 3 6 No Bunny 5 2 2 21 London Underground 2 1 1 9 She's The One 1 5 8 Oysters 1 2
1st place vote earns 3 points, 2nd place = 2 points, 3rd = 1 point

And the authors were:

Bestiality - Rich Weems
You Had Me At Hello - Jai Brandon
It Would Have Been Great - Colin Holmes
Valentine's Days - Rene C
Bad Romance - polfilmblog
Buick - Centos
Secret Admirer - Mr. Earth
No Bunny - sc111
London Underground - Road Warrior
She's The One - dpaterso
Oysters - Umo

Big congrats to sc111, author of No Bunny, which romped ahead of the litter, with Colin Holmes and Rich Weems snagging 2nd and 3rd places for It Would Have Been Great and Bestiality.

Thanks all for your participation and votes. Mucho thanks also to karlosd, Fortean and LMPurves for taking time to read and vote.

You're invited to post comments on the entries in this thread, if you have 'em, and discuss what worked for you, what didn't work for you, why you think you deserved to win, etc.

If you're feeling down because you didn't score big points, please don't, it's a writing exercise and you've successfully written to theme and deadline, congrats!

If you spot any errors or stupidities... shhh! Er, I mean, please let me know ASAP, thanks.

For posterity's sake, the entries thread is here.

Fun contests:

That script you didn't finish: results

Summer Camp - possibly coming up!

Last edited by dpaterso : 02-23-2013 at 07:52 AM.
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Centos

Default Re: Results - Voluptuous Valentines contest

Well, I knew I was in trouble when I found out I couldn't stuff my own ballot box. This is un-American!

Congratulations to the top 3 ... 4 ... 5. I had "No Bunny" in first. "London Underground" in 2nd. and "It Would Have Been Great" in 3rd. So close to the consensus. The most amazing thing is that some gullible dweeb gave my entry a third place vote. He/she must have been incredibly sizzled at the time. (But I'll take it!)

Thanks for the contest. I always enjoy these. If anyone wants, I'll post the other entry (the one I didn't enter) on the Script forum. I doubt it would have done much better, though.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
The Road Warrior

Good stuff, look at those votes, so many contributors!

Congratulations to the winners, and Mr Weems, I knew that was you, I just knew! haha.

Sc111, we're really tight here at "WE" but if you'll accept this, please picture a bunch of roses arriving at your gaff from the contest heads for that win!

If anybody could copy in a good picture of some flowers, that might be good.

Centos, yeah, please put your other writing up sir, nothing goes to waste that way.
I abandoned an idea: TWIN DESIRES, said twin is sent on a date by her sister -- the other twin -- to test a boyfriend's intentions, he rumbles it. We learn that true love is about something bigger/inscrutable.
Then I went all dark and scribbled out LU.

Last edited by The Road Warrior : 02-23-2013 at 02:54 PM.
The Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
The Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centos View Post
Well, I knew I was in trouble when I found out I couldn't stuff my own ballot box. This is un-American!

Congratulations to the top 3 ... 4 ... 5. I had "No Bunny" in first. "London Underground" in 2nd. and "It Would Have Been Great" in 3rd. So close to the consensus. The most amazing thing is that some gullible dweeb gave my entry a third place vote. He/she must have been incredibly sizzled at the time. (But I'll take it!)

Thanks for the contest. I always enjoy these. If anyone wants, I'll post the other entry (the one I didn't enter) on the Script forum. I doubt it would have done much better, though.
NEVER SWEAT THIS.

I enyoyed yours, and the votes I cast, without looking I can say I could have done a switch and put in a whole other 1,2,3... sequence, I was discussing this with Derek after in PM. Criteria was tough here.

What's interesting is what we write is pushing some buttons in the some readers, we had more 'outside' readers in on this one than ever. Those spread of votes are interesting.

The best bit comes next, the gang turns up again, rolling in like dudes after a heavy night out, and we all get to chat and give some feedback.

Last edited by The Road Warrior : 02-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.
The Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Road Warrior View Post
Centos, yeah, please put your other writing up sir, nothing goes to waste that way.
Okay, it's posted. Now everyone can blame YOU.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
The Road Warrior

Yep, they can!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Richmond Weems

Here's my votes (with my notes indicating the top two could've swapped places at any given moment, depending on which way the wind blew)

#1 - she's the one
#2 - no bunny
#3 - it would have been great

Congrats, guys!

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that "She's the One" didn't get more first place votes, and I think part of that had to do with the female character being (initially) so reprehensible. But these three were clearly head and shoulders above the rest.

And a definite shout out to SC for being able to pen a sentimental story that affected even a non-sentimental sort like me.

Again, congratulations!
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Colin Holmes
Regular

Will there be a recount?

(kidding, Derek)

I had No Bunny and Bestiality on my top three as well.

I really want somebody to make one of Weems' movies so I can leave a theatre with that compelling "i need to shower, now" feeling.

You're sending stuff to David Lynch, right?
Colin Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Holmes View Post
You're sending stuff to David Lynch, right?
He has a restraining order against me.
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Jai Brandon

Well look at that... The only one who didn't receive a single vote! I don't care what any of you say, that has to be some kind of accomplishment! Haha.
My votes and brief comments to Derek were:

1 - It Would Have Been Great

Was able to stay ahead of my first place finisher, so I KNEW the guy was in on the robbery from the start. Was hoping for a nice twist on a twist, a shocking reveal, or betrayal of some sort, but all in all, a good piece.

2 - Bestiality

Peculiar, peculiar, peculiar! Ultimately, it received 2nd place for being the most original idea - this author definitely thought outside of the box. Couldn't give it first place dibs, because it was too... strange. A man lusting after animals? Send this guy to the psych ward ASAP!

3 - No Bunny

Debated this selection among 3 others, but ultimately went in this direction. Why? I have no clue. Perhaps it was due to the red bow that was placed on the ending. I think it resonated for me a tad bit more. This decision was close though.

Congrats to the winners!
Jai Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote