Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
figment

Default Voltage

Anyone have dealings with Voltage -- they produce and finance films in the 15-40 million dollar range. Tons of movies but lots that seem to go straight to video.... They requested a script of mine which they found out about from my Nicholl placement (its a high budget script; I told them that and they still want to read it).

Is this a dead end if my script is straight up a studio "high" budget?
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Gary Dragan Milin
Regular

Default Re: voltage

Someone at Voltage just requested my script, and it's insanely high budget.

So maybe they're looking for a big tentpole project now?

And best of luck with your submission!
Gary Dragan Milin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Anyone have dealings with Voltage -- they produce and finance films in the 15-40 million dollar range. Tons of movies but lots that seem to go straight to video.... They requested a script of mine which they found out about from my Nicholl placement (its a high budget script; I told them that and they still want to read it).

Is this a dead end if my script is straight up a studio "high" budget?
What's the worst case outcome? They pass. Big deal. What's the best case outcome? They think they can get the movie made and they pay you.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
What's the worst case outcome? They pass. Big deal. What's the best case outcome? They think they can get the movie made and they pay you.
Well, I suppose I'm thinking that the worst case would be they said yes, ripped everything cool about it out in order to get it to a low budget (locations, set pieces, plot points that are expensive) and give it a D-list cast that no one cares about -- because they don't have money to pay them, either.

And then, what could have been a great "studio" film with a good director and recognizable cast goes straight to video like 95 percent of their other films.

(it got an 8 on the Blacklist -- it's better than straight to video, imo. If I didn't feel it was a "studio" film I wouldn't care as much)

So I guess my question was more along the lines of -- Has anyone sold to this or a similar company and it turned out better than straight-to-video and actually helped start your career?
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Well, I suppose I'm thinking that the worst case would be they said yes, ripped everything cool about it out in order to get it to a low budget (locations, set pieces, plot points that are expensive) and give it a D-list cast that no one cares about -- because they don't have money to pay them, either.

And then, what could have been a great "studio" film with a good director and recognizable cast goes straight to video like 95 percent of their other films.

(it got an 8 on the Blacklist -- it's better than straight to video, imo. If I didn't feel it was a "studio" film I wouldn't care as much)

So I guess my question was more along the lines of -- Has anyone sold to this or a similar company and it turned out better than straight-to-video and actually helped start your career?
If you don't feel like it's a good fit, then don't sell it to them. Beyond that, Voltage is a solid company, unless your script is a 100m tentpole, and you may not be the best person to judge the budget unless you have physical production experience, they can probably get it done right.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Harbinger

Default Re: Voltage

Geoff is a better person to judge if memory serves, but I've had some dealings with them through HMB.

They used to be very much a D-2-DVD sort of company, then smashed with Hurt Locker. Since then I hear they focus on theatrical releases. Nothing huge tentpole, but mid-range budget features (and still the odd D-2-DVD).
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
EvilRbt

Default Re: Voltage

While it's currently in dev hell of sorts, I have a project with Voltage which will have a budget of $40m+. Recent events in the world are forcing some story changes, but last year they made a $5m offer to Chris Pine (he passed to do Star Trek and Jack Ryan).

Sure, they have a library stock full of crappy Straight-to-DVD stuff and handle sales of small films, but they also work on bigger projects with A-list actors.

Chartier has the access to money and talent, as much as any producer, and I've always found him (and their other execs) great to work with. I spent four days with the guy in Germany too. He's legit.

If they want to read your material, don't hesitate.

NOTES / COVERAGE
10,000+ Screenplays
DD Thread Facebook
screenplaymechanic@gmail.com
EvilRbt is offline   Reply With Quote