Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
WriterManJimbo
User

Default You're the Producer...

you're handed a script with a lead role with a hot 'rebel without a cause' style High School kid.

Who do you cast? Is there a male 18-25 that can open a medium budget thriller?

And how about the love interest?

I'm guessing there's some Twilight or Hunger Gamer? But don't know those worlds/actors very well.

(subtext -- I'm worried I may have written a script that is very difficult to cast)
WriterManJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
EdFury

Default Re: You're the Producer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterManJimbo View Post
you're handed a script with a lead role with a hot 'rebel without a cause' style High School kid.

Who do you cast? Is there a male 18-25 that can open a medium budget thriller?

And how about the love interest?

I'm guessing there's some Twilight or Hunger Gamer? But don't know those worlds/actors very well.

(subtext -- I'm worried I may have written a script that is very difficult to cast)
If I'm a producer? I delegate. I hire a great casting director and let them do their job. Find great choices for the roles. As a writer, you can't worry about it. Write the best script you can. If it's a GREAT script, actors will line up to do it.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
WriterManJimbo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
If I'm a producer? I delegate. I hire a great casting director and let them do their job. Find great choices for the roles. As a writer, you can't worry about it. Write the best script you can. If it's a GREAT script, actors will line up to do it.
Truth be told...it's too late. Script is written. But what I'm trying to do is prepare myself for the question I am often asked -- 'who do you see starring in it?'

Johnny Depp in 1989 probably isn't a good answer!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
jtwg50

WriterMan: As stated before me, you'd hire a professional casting director. Producers do not cast. They collaborate. But a smart producer or director will listen to their casting director. Watch the free documentary currently on HBO about the two legendary masters, Marion Dougherty and Lynn Stalmaster. You'll be amazed... and learn a lot.
jtwg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
WriterManJimbo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwg50 View Post
WriterMan: As stated before me, you'd hire a professional casting director. Producers do not cast. They collaborate. But a smart producer or director will listen to their casting director. Watch the free documentary currently on HBO about the two legendary masters, Marion Dougherty and Lynn Stalmaster. You'll be amazed... and learn a lot.

Sorry, I might have been too cute with my question. I wasn't asking 'how do movies get cast'...I was asking -- who are the hottest 18-25 year old males? Are there any that can play a high schooler that can open a movie?

I guess Taylor Lautner did it for Abduction. Who else is out there?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
carcar

Look, this is a question that people ask writers all the time. So while the CD will do the job once she comes on, I think you're right to have an answer in hand. The CD will probably be the first one to ask it. But without reading the script, it's hard to say who's right for the part. My first thought would be someone like Liam Hemsworth. But I'm not sure there's someone in that age range who can open a movie right now. HOWEVER, that could change in six months.

You should take a look at the upcoming movies geared at the under 25 female audience and see who those leads are, because, IMO, they will be driving that market and when they get behind a guy, he's golden. I would also look at television, a good breakout ground for young actors (Aaron Paul's too old, but someone like that (and you can say stuff like that) and any one who's gotten a lot of buzz in the indie circuit lately. The trick is finding someone who appeals to both young men and young women. And you should have some knowledge of their work. Like, you may have to watch Twilight or films of that ilk, along with the other stuff (preferably in the company of the intended audience so you can try to figure out what it is they like.)

The odds of you actually getting the actor you mention in this round are very slim. They just want a peg to hang their hat on. (And I would also mention a veteran actor for the older, but supporting part that is no doubt in there, so when they say so-and-so can't open a picture, you can say yes, but Aging Superstar is there, so so-and-so won't be carrying the weight all by himself.) They really only expect you to have a thoughtful conversation about it. But you should do a little research and come prepared. Have a least one obvious choice and one not-so-obvious.
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
emily blake

Liam Hemsworth, Robert Pattinson.

A good way to find a list of names is to look on IMDB and filter by Starmeter.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Hamboogul

Miles Teller.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
ducky1288

Max Irons, Matt Lanter, Jake Abel.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar View Post
Look, this is a question that people ask writers all the time.
When I get asked that, I say... "It's not my job to cast. I don't write characters with actors in mind. I try to write a great story and hope that the best actors will be drawn to it."
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote