Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
HeadlessHorseman
New User

Default Finding a good Line Producer

Putting together my first feature (although I am a 10 year TV vet). Everything is done, along with a business plan, also have a tentative budget and schedule, website, marketing collateral, etc. I have a known actor currently reading the script. Going to AFM in November to network and talk with sales agents to find out what kind of package I will need to assemble to justify my budget, in order to get presales, to start the financing wagon moving forward.

My next order of business is to find a strong Line Producer to help move things forward. Since I already have the initial budget and schedule, guess I am looking to go to the next level and get the wheels rolling, explore the most beneficial tax-incentive state to shoot in, etc. I know an LP is the foundation of an indie feature and top on my priority list. So, anyone know a good avenue to find an experienced line producer?

Of course the conundrum is Iím still in the pre-finance/packaging stage, so it would be a deferred or low pay kinda thing until progress is made. Iím hesitant to post on a job website for that reason. And of course craigslist is out of the question.
HeadlessHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
LRic54
User

Default Re: Finding a good Line Producer

I would look amongst recent graduates of the top film schools, especially USC, NYU and AFI. I know several producers that came out of AFI and have now worked as line producers on commercials and some features.
LRic54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Isah Abedini
New User

You can get a bankable actor to work for guild minimums, a producer and a director to work for deferred pay, but good luck trying to find an experienced line producer to lower their fee unless you have a strong working relationship with them, and they trust you with their life. Unless of course they're desperate and you're lucky enough to be there when they're at their desperatest.

If you're going to hit the film markets, try to get an established indie producer attached. You'll meet plenty. You're already doing a lot of the work of the producer, but an established feature film producer will know several line producers that might do a script breakdown for you, if not for differed payment and a blood oath to hire them at their full fee once you get the funding, then maybe for a "reasonable" price.

Also, a decent indie producer will have a wealth of knowledge on tax incentives (which aren't as incentivie these days), foreign sales (hit and miss), and all sorts of other alternative funding options where the rules will have changed by the time I hit the "post quick reply" button. That's where you should start. Once they're confident with the route you're going to take, they'll hire a casting director to see which actors they can get that are hot enough in the foreign markets to justify your budget. Do not attach an actor without consulting these two individuals.

Btw, who did your budget and schedule? Usually that's the job of the Line Producer. Or a 1st AD if they're your friend and you promised them something.
Isah Abedini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
spacefarer

A good way to get a LP is to contact, what we call here in the UK, diary services (the terminology might differ in the US) which have production personnel under their books.

Diary services are not exactly talent agencies as they are not actively pursuing work for their clients as they represent below-the-line talent but still find work for their clients by managing inbound requests from producers and/or production managers.

Seek diary services that deal with TV drama, features, etc. instead of TV commercials as the two worlds are far part and the expertise you require is totally different.

Also, you may want to contact regional film offices (the offices where licenses for filming are obtained from) as they usually have databases with production staff in their region.

Producing a film is such a long drag and you have only just began. Best of luck.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Last edited by spacefarer : 12-04-2015 at 09:51 AM.
spacefarer is offline   Reply With Quote