TV/episodic hosting on the BL starts today!!!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV/episodic hosting on the BL starts today!!!

Check it!

http://http://www.thewrap.com/black-...les-television

Who's in???
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Re: TV/episodic hosting on the BL starts today!!!

Now we need to find a new question to ask Franklin every single time he pops in here.

Best of luck to you JoJo.
    "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
    Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
      Now we need to find a new question to ask Franklin every single time he pops in here.

lol Thanks, you too!
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post

I'll be around. Ask away.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
          lol Thanks, you too!
          Three cheers for Franklin in carrying through on his much-anticipated addition of TV script hosting!! Awesome to see him deliver on the promise! I just hope the BL and Hollywood trades are good about getting out the word to the TELEVISION-ORIENTED lit agents, managers and network/studio development folks to increase their scoping out of the site??!!

Good luck to you, JoJo and everyone else here!!

Here's the email I got from BL announcing it:

November 13, 2013

Dear Michael,

Big news about television and web series.

But first a recap: In its first year, the Black List website hosted more than 7,300 screenplays, completed more than 9,500 script evaluations, generated more than 12,000 script downloads film industry professionals, more than 40 major agency and management company signings, 20 sales, one two-script blind deal at a major studio, and one produced. (For more information on our first year, check out our Annual Report.

Today, we begin welcoming television, miniseries, and web series pilots (and optionally, series bibles.)

The goal of this new venture parallels the mandate of the feature film script hosting service: help those with great scripts get them to people who can do something with them and make it easy for episodic content makers, their employees, and their representatives to find great scripts and writers.

As with feature film scripts, the process is simple:

We host and index your pilot - and optionally your series bible at no additional charge. ($25/month/pilot)
          Our professional readers evaluate your script. ($30/evaluation for pilots meant to be 30 minutes or less; $50/evaluation for pilots longer than 30 minutes.)
          Based on those evaluations, our members - over 2,000 of them, including agency assistants, network and studio executives, and working directors and actors - read your script, and if they like it can contact you directly. (FREE!)
          WGA East and West members will be able to list their material free of charge (without hosting it).

Know also that the Black List's "do no harm" policy continues. Your evaluations are only made public to our membership community if you elect to make them public.

We encourage our members to contact you directly about their interest in your project (so be sure to include your contact information on your title page). You retain ownership of your screenplay and are free to negotiate its sale at whatever terms you like.

And right now, you can get started by heading over to the site.

Questions? Check out our FAQ. More questions? Feel free to contact us.

Best,
          The Black List

Comment

Huzzah! I'll be in.
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Franklin, congrats on this much needed service.

Question; a pilot and bible uploaded today would get an evaluation in how many days/weeks?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                I'll be around. Ask away.
                Yes, I have a few questions: Is it true that the decision to host TV scripts was motivated by a desire to make more money? Also, why do writers have to pay monthly fees and not, say, bi-annual fees? And, is there any reason why hosting on the Blacklist should not simply be free to all writers? On what, if anything, is the revenue "earned" from writers' fees spent?

Thanks!

Phil Gary
                Manager Tracker: Keeping track of what scripts managers are reading in Hollywood. http://www.managertracker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Gary Arts View Post
                  Yes, I have a few questions: Is it true that the decision to host TV scripts was motivated by a desire to make more money? Also, why do writers have to pay monthly fees and not, say, bi-annual fees? And, is there any reason why hosting on the Blacklist should not simply be free to all writers? On what, if anything, is the revenue "earned" from writers' fees spent?

Thanks!

Phil Gary
                  . . . asks the man charging fees for his own "consulting" services

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Gary Arts View Post

Thanks!

Phil Gary
                    The desire to host television scripts came from a recognition that our model could work effectively to advocate for writers in that space as well, and substantial, long term-demand from both television industry professionals and writers - both professional and aspiring professional - for an expansion of the Black List in that direction.

We charge monthly fees because it's the smallest reasonable division of time that would give writers freedom to remove their scripts if they realize that we're not helping them gain traction on their scripts (and again, if we're not getting you traction on your script, stop giving us your money.) I'm reasonably sure, for example, that writers would prefer to pay $25 per month (with the option to remove their script at any time) than $150 every six months.

I assume you're asking what people get for their $25 a month, and that's actually quite straightforward. We host the script in the database and index it in a way that makes it discoverable via our recommendations and searches, provide complete transparency on the volume of traffic to the script, provide access to information about the rest of the screenplay marketplace via our script insights pages, and the ability to download other scripts if writers have made them available for other writers to download.

It's also, consciously, a disincentive from uploading scripts that aren't yet ready for prime time. We don't want to be overrun by poor material, and by charging a minimal monthly fee, we assure that those who are uploading their script have at least some demonstrable belief in the quality of their script (even if our readers then inform them in their evaluations that they shouldn't necessarily.)

Comment

Thank you for the comprehensive response, Franklin. I'm an attorney, and those questions have been asked by a number of my clients, not just from the law side but from my consultancy too. My objective was to email you with these questions. It was purely fortuitous that I happened to encounter you here first. Thanks again.
                      Manager Tracker: Keeping track of what scripts managers are reading in Hollywood. http://www.managertracker.com

Comment

Sitting here waiting for my pilot script to upload... it's been over 5 min... So maybe people are clogging the system?

Tickled to see that one of the bazillion tags was for "passes the Bechdel test." Had to go back and check, and relieved that my pilot does.
                        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                          Sitting here waiting for my pilot script to upload... it's been over 5 min... So maybe people are clogging the system?

Tickled to see that one of the bazillion tags was for "passes the Bechdel test." Had to go back and check, and relieved that my pilot does.
                          System is definitely quite busy at the moment, but if it takes longer than 5 minutes, you'd be wise to email us so we can make sure there's not another issue.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                            It's also, consciously, a disincentive from uploading scripts that aren't yet ready for prime time. We don't want to be overrun by poor material, and by charging a minimal monthly fee, we assure that those who are uploading their script have at least some demonstrable belief in the quality of their script (even if our readers then inform them in their evaluations that they shouldn't necessarily.)
                            Wish I had read that it was $25 EACH not just $25 to be a member with active scripts. Got a surprisingly large bill this morning, which coupled with the coverage will be a pretty penny. Anyway, maybe I'm the only idiot and others didn't have the same surprise. But I do like the monthly system so if I don't get good coverage I haven't wasted the upload for six months.

Comment

The money grab is on!

And soon we'll start hearing from writers who's dreams were crushed by BL readers who know less about television than any aspiring writer who has taken even minimal time to learn about the industry/craft.

Mo'money mo'money mo'money...

Originally posted by killertv View Post
                              Wish I had read that it was $25 EACH not just $25 to be a member with active scripts. Got a surprisingly large bill this morning, which coupled with the coverage will be a pretty penny. Anyway, maybe I'm the only idiot and others didn't have the same surprise. But I do like the monthly system so if I don't get good coverage I haven't wasted the upload for six months.

Comment

Working...
                              X