How to become a Manager for screenwriters?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to become a Manager for screenwriters?

Hello Community,

This is my first post and it's ambitious but I come with humility, respect and candor.

I am an independent film producer. I have two films in distribution, two in negotiations and one in post. One of the features won the prestigious Platinum Award at Houston World Fest and its on the film festival circuit. Mind you that these films are in the $100k to $250k budget ranges. The distribution deals and negociations are the result of taking three of our films to AFM last year. The next feature film we are working on will be in the $500k budget with notable actors.

As with all things I want to continue evolving not only as a producer but as a cultivator of great screenwriters! Currently, I have access to six phenomenal scripts in diverse genres by three talented screenwriters. In order for these films to be properly produced they need to be in the $5.5 million to $25 million budget range.

I tend to be drawn to material similar to the screenplays like; The Rover, Drive, Fargo, Memento, True Detective, Homeland, Three Colors: RED, Lone Star and Mulholland Drive.

Now I'm not to familiar with the business and legal structure of being a professional screenwriter manager other that what I have research and spoken to a few colleagues about.

So I have a few questions?

1. In order to be a talent agent or agency you have to be licensed. Is this the same for managers?

2. What is your definition of an ideal manager? Besides getting you in contact with an agent, helping you negotiate the best contract, expose you to independent production companies, what else would you need from your manager?

3. What would be the perfect balance in a contract between you and your manager? 10% is standard but what about the expectations, timeline to see productivity, etc.

4. I'm familiar about optioning a screenplay as a producer but would it be similar for a manager? Would I have to option the script for a period of time so I can sell the script to an agent or independent studio?

Here are a few things I will continue to focus on;

1. Studying WGA regulations
    2. Getting an Entertainment Lawyer who specializes in script options
    3. Attend screenwriting workshops, seminars, networking events
    4. Build a rapport with talent agencies
    5. Continuing to build rapport with independent studios, producers and directors

Special Note; I live in San Antonio, Texas.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to learning, networking and contributing!

www.mistersifuentes.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3005621/
    Last edited by mistersifuentes; 06-14-2014, 12:07 PM.
    "Independent Film Producer/Aspiring Screenwriter"

www.mistersifuentes.com

Re: How to become a Manager for screenwriters?

You don't have to be licensed to be a manager.

Most managers/agents work their way up after being an assistant because as an assistant you get to see the ins and outs of the company and you learn the ropes as you go.

I'm not sure how to go about it any other way. Even those who used to be producers or execs were at some point assistants and interns starting out.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
      You don't have to be licensed to be a manager.

Most managers/agents work their way up after being an assistant because as an assistant you get to see the ins and outs of the company and you learn the ropes as you go.

I'm not sure how to go about it any other way. Even those who used to be producers or execs were at some point assistants and interns starting out.
      Hey Ducky,

Thank you for your input. An important thing I forgot to mention was that I am in San Antonio, Texas. Two of my screenwriters live in San Antonio and another one lives in Dallas. Austin, is the closest city to any real direct connections to LA. New Orleans being another city. Not living in LA would make it a bit more challenging for presenting and selling. For the most part it would be email, phone and Skype meeting and once there is some serious traction then take a flight to LA for a few days.

I do have some contacts and resources in both LA and NY that I can finally start using. I just would hate to have these screenplays just lingering on a computer with out giving them a good fight.

www.mistersifuentes.com

Comment

Get business cards printed.

Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

"2. What is your definition of an ideal manager? Besides getting you in contact with an agent, helping you negotiate the best contract, expose you to independent production companies, what else would you need from your manager? "

My definition, aside from having a keen sense of story and what is selling/what is not in the market place, is obviously contacts at the right places (agencies/prod companies/studios) and a track record of actually selling material to studios/indies.

Do you have trade announcements on these recent deals?

Being based in LA is also important (IMO).

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by mistersifuentes View Post
            Hello Community,

This is my first post and it's ambitious but I come with humility, respect and candor.

I am an independent film producer. I have two films in distribution, two in negotiations and one in post. One of the features won the prestigious Platinum Award at Houston World Fest and its on the film festival circuit. Mind you that these films are in the $100k to $250k budget ranges. The next feature film we are working on will be in the $500k budget with notable actors.

As with all things I want to continue evolving not only as a producer but as a cultivator of great screenwriters! Currently, I have access to six phenomenal scripts in diverse genres by three talented screenwriters. In order for these films to be properly produced they need to be in the $5.5 million to $25 million budget range.

I tend to be drawn to material similar to the screenplays like; The Rover, Drive, Fargo, Memento, True Detective, Homeland, Three Colors: RED, Lone Star and Mulholland Drive.

Now I'm not to familiar with the business and legal structure of being a professional screenwriter manager other that what I have research and spoken to a few colleagues about.

So I have a few questions?

1. In order to be a talent agent or agency you have to be licensed. Is this the same for managers?

2. What is your definition of an ideal manager? Besides getting you in contact with an agent, helping you negotiate the best contract, expose you to independent production companies, what else would you need from your manager?

3. What would be the perfect balance in a contract between you and your manager? 10% is standard but what about the expectations, timeline to see productivity, etc.

4. I'm familiar about optioning a screenplay as a producer but would it be similar for a manager? Would I have to option the script for a period of time so I can sell the script to an agent or independent studio?

Here are a few things I will continue to focus on;

1. Studying WGA regulations
            2. Getting an Entertainment Lawyer who specializes in script options
            3. Attend screenwriting workshops, seminars, networking events
            4. Build a rapport with talent agencies
            5. Continuing to build rapport with independent studios, producers and directors

Special Note; I live in San Antonio, Texas.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to learning, networking and contributing!

www.mistersifuentes.com
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3005621/
            Why would you want to be a manager? Why not just be a producer?

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              Get business cards printed.

Bill
              Took your advice and found that they were running a two for one special. So, not only am I now a manager but I am also a Space Travel Agent.

Booking flights to the Moon of Endor soon.

Comment

It sounds like you have a plan... your path sounds a bit similar to mine, but I am based out of Dallas.

90% of what I have accomplished has been through hard work to earn the connections and proving myself at finding quality material to these connections. From what I have seen so far the successful managers represent the best writers/material they can find. As a producer it is a virtually identical process to secure funding as in selling a script-- it's selling. The best sales people get the writers and get the deals. Who you know is important, but being known is even more important.

Mark
                "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                  Why would you want to be a manager? Why not just be a producer?
                  Great and fair question, Geoff. Just like the majority of anybody who makes their living in the film industry I have to diversify my income. Even screenwriters need multiple sources of income; options, buyouts, consultations,rewrites, workshops/seminar/school lectures, how to books etc.

As mentioned I have access to six phenomenal screenplays. I personally don't have the financial resources to produce them all, so why not expose them to the market. Considering they would need financing in the 5 million to 25 million dollar budget range.

I'm about to break ground on pre-selling a feature film I am producing were I will take a visual pitch deck with me for my second round at AFM. Even then I am looking for financing at the 2.5 million dollar range budget. It's a process but for the time being why not expose these other screenplays instead of them just lingering on a computer.

Thank you for your input, Geoff.

www.mistersifuentes.com

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                    "2. What is your definition of an ideal manager? Besides getting you in contact with an agent, helping you negotiate the best contract, expose you to independent production companies, what else would you need from your manager? "

My definition, aside from having a keen sense of story and what is selling/what is not in the market place, is obviously contacts at the right places (agencies/prod companies/studios) and a track record of actually selling material to studios/indies.

Do you have trade announcements on these recent deals?

Being based in LA is also important (IMO).

EJ
                    Hey Penny,

At the moment I am in the "development stage" of being a manager. Gathering information, regrouping my contacts, setting up the LLC, finding an entertainment lawyer, studying the WGA regulations and business plan.

No doubt living in LA would make it easier. At the moment just testing the waters so to speak.

Once those goals are lineup I will make my announcement on the trades.

www.mistersifuentes.com

Comment

Originally posted by markerstone View Post
                      It sounds like you have a plan... your path sounds a bit similar to mine, but I am based out of Dallas.

90% of what I have accomplished has been through hard work to earn the connections and proving myself at finding quality material to these connections. From what I have seen so far the successful managers represent the best writers/material they can find. As a producer it is a virtually identical process to secure funding as in selling a script-- it's selling. The best sales people get the writers and get the deals. Who you know is important, but being known is even more important.

Mark
                      Absolutely, Mark! Selling and packaging. I see selling a script about the same as selling a completed feature film. I know the distribution world very well now. Scripts need to tailored differently but the concept is the same. I'm not only selling the screenplay but the concept and possibility. Over the years I developed my own visual pitch deck that has been very successful.
                      Last edited by mistersifuentes; 06-14-2014, 12:40 PM.

www.mistersifuentes.com

Comment

As mentioned I have access to six phenomenal screenplays. I personally don't have the financial resources to produce them all, so why not expose them to the market. Considering they would need financing in the 5 million to 25 million dollar budget range.
                        Producers don't finance movies. Producers produce movies, and all the people involved (including the producer) are paid by the studio.

I think you're going to find it very hard to do a good job representing writers from Texas. No offense to you, but if a writer told me they were thinking of signing with someone who lived outside of LA, I would say "pass." Managing is about relationships with people who live in Los Angeles.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                          Producers don't finance movies. Producers produce movies, and all the people involved (including the producer) are paid by the studio.

I think you're going to find it very hard to do a good job representing writers from Texas. No offense to you, but if a writer told me they were thinking of signing with someone who lived outside of LA, I would say "pass." Managing is about relationships with people who live in Los Angeles.
                          Hey Jeff,

No offense taken. I'm glad people are challenging my expectations. I knew coming in that I was opening myself to scrutiny. Rightfully so. It's a huge undertaking.

I can only speak from my personal experience from the distribution companies I have locked down deals with. The majority of them are in LA and one is in NY. Not once was I asked to fly to LA or NY. Everything was done over the phone and via emails. Then again these deals are based on the promise or potential of a profit as opposed to money upfront (depending if a studio buys out the script or options it).

Would my goals be easier if I was in LA? Of course! For the initial stages I will just be corresponding via emails and phone. If there is traction then I will make a trip to LA for a few weeks.

Just to clarify I am not trying to convince LA screenwriters to sign with a Texas manager but helping Texas screenwriters sell their screenplay.

This business is a series of Catch 22's isn't it?

Thank you for your input, Jeff.

www.mistersifuentes.com

Comment

Hey Penny,

At the moment I am in the "development stage" of being a manager. Gathering information, regrouping my contacts, setting up the LLC, finding an entertainment lawyer, studying the WGA regulations and business plan.

No doubt living in LA would make it easier. At the moment just testing the waters so to speak.

Once those goals are lineup I will make my announcement on the trades.
                            To be candid, it sounds like you're more in the exploration stage. You have a lot of very basic questions. Find a manager to learn from. Build your track record in the industry. Can you squeeze more juice from the properties you're still working with? What's been your experience working with writers?

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X