Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2003, 08:15 AM   #1
Dean

Default Microsoft Works 2000 users?

Does anyone here have it on their computer? I've tried using templates written for Microsoft Word, but the Works word processor won't open them. I've spent the entire weekend trying to find templates that would work with Works, with no success. Money is very tight, and I can't afford formatting software like MM or Final Draft. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
ExtHollywoodDay

This is meant in the best possible way-

But back when I used to do Tech Support the saying was "Any program named Works- DOESN'T"

But you should be able to set your own styles. I won't pretend to know how. but you should just set one Action style with wide margins and a tab at the far right for your occasional CUT TO:s, then a Dialogue style with the slim margins and one tab which centers to where the Character name belongs.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
Deus Ex Machine

Templates written for Word will not function on Works.

You can create your own template on it which is fairly easy to do, or you can try downloading a free stand alone program. Check the links in my link secetion for software at www.thewriterslist.org
Old 04-01-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
diehardatthegetty

You might want to try this:

office.microsoft.com/down...2krtf.aspx

It can convert/save a word document as a Works 2000 document. Hopefully it will work for templates.

You could also try finding someone with the latest version of Word, have them open up the template and Save As a Works 2000 file - should be a pull-down under "file Type".

in general, there are a lot of converters that you can download at the microsoft support site. Between having Works and having a Friend who has Word, I think you should be able to get something workable.

Please let me know how it goes.

good luck.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:40 AM   #5
Dean

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I have tried using converters for Works, but haven't still haven't been able to open them. I have discovered a free program called RoughDraft, but I haven't used it yet.

I have thought about creating my own templates, but if I'm having this much trouble just opening a word template, I don't trust my ability to create a functional template. I'll give it a try, though, and I'll try everyone's suggestions.

Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:19 PM   #6
ExtHollywoodDay

Are you trying to open the word template in word or in works?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
Dean

I was trying to open any of the templates I found in Works, with no luck. I just gave up, and took advantage of the Sophocles discount offer.

Thanks for trying to help, Ext.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:24 AM   #8
taurbabe

What IS the Sophocles discount offer?.......... Is it a good one? Since I upgraded to Windows 2000 none of my previously d/l screenwriting software will work. I'm thinking about just going ahead and footing the bill for a real software program, but I can't afford too much.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #9
Dean

The discount is 50% off. There's a link posted here in Services & Software.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:47 AM   #10
taurbabe

Dean.... what other programs have you used? and why didn't they work for you? I've found that Scriptmaker is not very user friendly, is this the way it has been for you? I like to keep things simple, such as.... tree good, fire bad. http://rilngard.com/forum/emoticons/bg.gif Anyone know of anything this simple?