Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 AM   #21
moviefan
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 143
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

I think the poster's tagline should be:

Who You Gonna Tweet?

moviefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #22
UnequalProductions
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 918
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
I'm not keen with the all-female cast because IT WAS DONE FOR THAT REASON, not because of interesting characters.
So?

It's not like they're taking the original script and just swapping pronouns. They're rethinking the story from the ground up. So they still could be super interesting characters. They might actually be MORE interesting. What if they're ahead of their field in the supernatural but dismissed because they're women? That actually sounds way stronger as a character motivation that the original film.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
Madbandit
Member
 
Madbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,405
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnequalProductions View Post
So?

It's not like they're taking the original script and just swapping pronouns. They're rethinking the story from the ground up. So they still could be super interesting characters. They might actually be MORE interesting. What if they're ahead of their field in the supernatural but dismissed because they're women? That actually sounds way stronger as a character motivation that the original film.
I'm just not keen with it. If there was one woman among the main characters, I wouldn't mind. If it was an original script, I wouldn't mind either. So, don't paint me as a misogynistic jerk, okay? Jeez...
__________________
"A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it. -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #24
UnequalProductions
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 918
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
I'm just not keen with it. If there was one woman among the main characters, I wouldn't mind. If it was an original script, I wouldn't mind either. So, don't paint me as a misogynistic jerk, okay? Jeez...
Oh, no. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to call you out as misogynistic at all. I would say the same thing if all the leads we switched to black. If they were taking the time to really rethink the characters and how being black would effect all aspects of the story, the fact that they made the decision in a seemingly arbitrary way doesn't mean anything to me.

Like they say about copyright. Ideas don't really matter. It's all about execution.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #25
Ronaldinho
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
I'm just not keen with it. If there was one woman among the main characters, I wouldn't mind. If it was an original script, I wouldn't mind either. So, don't paint me as a misogynistic jerk, okay? Jeez...
it's not that.

On some level, yes ... it's a gimmick.

But the only way it STOPS being a gimmick is by becoming something that happens enough that we all don't really think twice about it. So we're going to have to put up with a few things that feel a little gimmicky on the way to a world where we all have more freedom to tell more stories.

The thing that comes off as misogynistic is when you say that you wouldn't mind one woman. Given that your original complaint was that it was being done "FOR THAT REASON" that would be the case if somebody said, "well, let's do one woman just to have a woman in there."

So why is that logic okay with one woman, but not with four? That makes no sense.

The thing is, whether or not the original motivation was appropriate pure or not, what really matters is if the characters are fully realized and interesting, or if they're just pasting a new set of genitals on the existing archetypes. The latter is gimmicky. The former can actually lead to some interesting places. That is to say, making the four leads female - regardless of the motivation - can unlock different approaches to the story which leads to the discovery good and interesting things.

And if you're going to dig into "it was DONE FOR THAT REASON" one might just as easily say that the four original leads were male because they were male, in a time and place where women weren't given the kind of latitude to carry that type of movie. (It's really hard to argue that institutional sexism isn't behind a tremendous amount of all-male, or all-male-plus-one-token-woman casts).

Also, bear in mind that's its tremendously difficult to get original material made, even for established names. So if any sort of re-boot-quel has to stay pretty close to the racial/gender/etc makeup of the original, then we're tying ourselves to the diversity standards of a more racist/sexist age.

I hope the movie is good, but I'd rather see then take big leaps away from the original than try to copy it too closely. If I want to see the original film, I already have that option. If this choice helps give the filmmakers latitude to make a more original film, then it's 100% good.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #26
docgonzo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,159
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Male cast, female cast, doesn't matter. The whole enterprise is a gimmick. It's one thing to remake a bad movie or one that was made 50 years ago and nobody remembers the original anyway. But this is a culture landmark and a modern classic, and it's being remade only to generate money on its name. I don't care who's in it, who writes it, who directs it. This version is destined to pale in comparison to the original. But it'll make money, and that's really the only thing the studio cares about. What a cynical ploy.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #27
RogerOThornhill
Member
 
RogerOThornhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,247
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

We can decry the artisitic merits of remakes, reboots, and disposable blockbusters, but without that more predictable income the studios can't take as many chances on original material...and I hope someday they put some of that money towards my original material.
RogerOThornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #28
canela
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 197
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
The thing that comes off as misogynistic is when you say that you wouldn't mind one woman. Given that your original complaint was that it was being done "FOR THAT REASON" that would be the case if somebody said, "well, let's do one woman just to have a woman in there."

So why is that logic okay with one woman, but not with four? That makes no sense.
Bingo! Women are still a commodity. A token amount would be acceptable. Fanboys feel so threatened these days. Unbelievable.

FWIW, I'd rather see new ideas. Too bad the studios are stuck in a hell of remakes. Cast won't make or break as much as the script will. Hoping for the best. Also, if I recall, the original was intended as a one-off and the sequel was barely watchable. Maybe the sequel should have been an all-female, small business loan startup of rival ghostbusters going after the same contracts as the guys.
canela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #29
Madbandit
Member
 
Madbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,405
Wink Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
it's not that.

On some level, yes ... it's a gimmick.

But the only way it STOPS being a gimmick is by becoming something that happens enough that we all don't really think twice about it. So we're going to have to put up with a few things that feel a little gimmicky on the way to a world where we all have more freedom to tell more stories.

The thing that comes off as misogynistic is when you say that you wouldn't mind one woman. Given that your original complaint was that it was being done "FOR THAT REASON" that would be the case if somebody said, "well, let's do one woman just to have a woman in there."

So why is that logic okay with one woman, but not with four? That makes no sense.

The thing is, whether or not the original motivation was appropriate pure or not, what really matters is if the characters are fully realized and interesting, or if they're just pasting a new set of genitals on the existing archetypes. The latter is gimmicky. The former can actually lead to some interesting places. That is to say, making the four leads female - regardless of the motivation - can unlock different approaches to the story which leads to the discovery good and interesting things.

And if you're going to dig into "it was DONE FOR THAT REASON" one might just as easily say that the four original leads were male because they were male, in a time and place where women weren't given the kind of latitude to carry that type of movie. (It's really hard to argue that institutional sexism isn't behind a tremendous amount of all-male, or all-male-plus-one-token-woman casts).

Also, bear in mind that's its tremendously difficult to get original material made, even for established names. So if any sort of re-boot-quel has to stay pretty close to the racial/gender/etc makeup of the original, then we're tying ourselves to the diversity standards of a more racist/sexist age.

I hope the movie is good, but I'd rather see then take big leaps away from the original than try to copy it too closely. If I want to see the original film, I already have that option. If this choice helps give the filmmakers latitude to make a more original film, then it's 100% good.
(deep breath...)

I don't know what you may assume of me, but misogynistic isn't one of my qualities. It's true I'm not keen with the idea of an all-female cast in the Ghostbusters reboot, but not because I don't like women, but it superficially fills out a quota.

When the original film came out, were they a lot of fangirls in the public eye? No. There was no Internet, no social media, etc. I don't think Dan Ackroyd and the late Harold Ramis were intentionally (or unintentionally misogynistic when they wrote the film. Now, in this PC society, everybody's expected to welcome everybody. Pure utopia, right? The thing is not everything is meant for everyone, depending on sensibilities.

I look at the twisted controversy, #gamergate, where feminist pundits are decrying video games, let alone its producers and customers, as misogynistic. These pundits have received death threats, and that's wrong. What's also wrong is said pundits have conveniently ignored the presence of women in the video games industry and the gaming community itself. Why does a subculture associated with a HOBBY have to adhere to the expectations of a society that distrusts them in the first place?

Movies are a different story since they're more traditional entertainment, but everyone has a right to see or not to see a certain film, depending on their sensibilities. In this somewhat PC society, I think we've lost our common sense in the bargain in order to live in a "perfect world".

Note: Janine Melmentz, the ''Busters receptionist, did have a proton-pack on some episodes of the animated series. So, did Skye, a new female character on the PC-centric "Extreme Ghostbusters" animated series.
__________________
"A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it. -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #30
canela
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 197
Default Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
Note: Janine Melmentz, the ''Busters receptionist, did have a proton-pack on some episodes of the animated series. So, did Skye, a new female character on the PC-centric "Extreme Ghostbusters" animated series.
Correction: Janine *Melnitz*. A nod to UCLA's film school, Melnitz Hall?
canela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker