This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Done Deal Managers

I think we can take this angle of the conversation to PMs or drop it, please. Everyone's had their say, more than once, and folks are either convinced or not convinced. Also, tone arguments are the zombie hordes of internet discourse; deadly and never-ending.

You are all more than welcome to continue contributing to the conversation on the health of the forums and, if you like, to offer suggestions to make this place more welcoming or positive, as long as we can please refrain from calling out individual posters in doing so. Thank you.
    Patrick Sweeney

Comment

I'm yet another who's recently had a script read by Cyfress. He had it finished, notes and all, within days. Did he tear it apart? With ****ing butchers knives--because it needed it. It wasn't personal. It wasn't offensive. It was constructive and honest and exactly what I would expect from a paid read.

In an industry where 'no' is probably the most common word, being told your script is amateurish and then having a page of notes detailing why (for free) shouldn't be dispiriting, it should be a wake up call. And for me, at least, it was.

Look, the board needs a Simon Cowell. If you want varnish and sugarcoats and smoke blown up your ass, give your script to your mother or Paula Abdul. Cy isn't charging anyone for his advice. If he was, then you might be justified in attacking his credentials. As it stands, I hope most writers DO get turned off by the 'negativity'. It just weeds out the weak, makes the pond smaller and in the end, gives me more of Cy's time to get advice. For free. Did I say it was for free?

This thread began as 'where did all the pros go?' Remember the pros and their criticism?

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=66974

Todd Karate: "Read that out loud. It's fvcking BORING. You can't put boring stuff into a script."
      Craig Mazin: "illuzin... is this serious? Because if so, I gotta say... this is not for you."

Was that too negative? Or was it just because they were pros that it was acceptable? Honestly, that's the kind of criticism most people need, and Cy's was never, ever that harsh.

Comment

Add me to the list.

Cy provided insightful and constructive notes. Even had a good back and forth follow-up. I don't know what Cy got out of this, but I know I (and my screenplay) benefitted.

This sounds like a bunch of Millennials crying in their flavored water. This is what happens when you hand out awards and trophies for kids who come in 10th place.

Ignore it/him or get thicker skin.

Comment

It's great that people are getting helpful notes. But there is nothing constructive about generalised tirades against the many failings of 'amateurs' on the forums. One does not justify the other. Clearly not everyone feels that way and that's fair enough. So I'll bow out of this discussion here. I'd only be repeating myself anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by fastfreddie View Post
            This sounds like a bunch of Millennials crying in their flavored water. This is what happens when you hand out awards and trophies for kids who come in 10th place.
            Perhaps if everyone refrained from making huge generalizations about other writers it would be helpful -- whether it be the repeated use of the loaded word "amateur", or this quoted post in defense of that. Yes?

BTW, I think I'll just pay for notes from now on. It's much less dramatic. I recall no such drama when I used TitanCreed's coverage a week or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
              Perhaps if everyone refrained from making huge generalizations about other writers it would be helpful -- whether it be the repeated use of the loaded word "amateur", .
              What's loaded about 'amateur'?

Comment

This isn't some big mystery. The guy never get his ego stroked when he tried to write, because he wasn't good enough. So he gets his ego stroked by criticizing newbies. He may not be as good as a professional writer, but he's better than some guy who's just starting.

The sad thing is that five years after quitting, he's still hanging around a place for writers who are trying to make it. I get it. You didn't f the prom queen. Doesn't mean you need to keep hanging out at high school.

And all the "most of you don't stand a chance" bs is transparent. The harder it is, the more it's all luck or God given talent, the less embarrassing it is that he didn't make it.

Don't you have some imaginary million dollar software empire to run, dude?

Comment

Working...
                X