Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Writing Exercises
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 04:56 AM   #1
dpaterso

Default Entries - Xmas/Yule/seasonal contest 2015

Okay we have 9 entries, I put the titles through random.org for a random sort, so they are:

App
The Escape
Final Year Report
The Gift
Every Dog
Give Generously
Christmas Beauty
The Christmas Hat
The Immaterialist

If you perceive any errors in your entry, just PM me and I'll correct them ASAP.

You know the drill, read the entries and pick your 3 favorites. Please PM or email me with your picks in the format:

1st - title1
2nd - title2
3rd - title3

How about aiming for Sunday 3rd Jan 2016 for voting deadline? If all contestants vote before then, I'll post the results earlier.

Once the results are posted, feel free to add any comments you made into the results thread, and discuss the entries there.

Non-contestants are most welcome to read and send your votes also!

If you don't like the code windows which preserve formatting, then select Thread Tools > Show Printable Version

For posterity, the discussion thread is here and the results thread is here.

Halloween contest results posted!
And maybe start thinking about a Yuletide contest also!

Last edited by dpaterso : 01-06-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:07 AM   #2
dpaterso

Default Re: Entries - Xmas/Yule/seasonal contest 2015

Code:
App FADE IN DANIEL Lester, listen, it's very loud there, I'm- going-to- make- my- way- across- town- to- meet- you. Yeah, yeah, I know it very well, a retro bar, used to be called "Babes"? Daniel scans the indices and pies and various red and green colored bars bobbing up and down on his screen. DANIEL (CONT'D) I said, it's peaceful up here. Okay, one hour's time, I'm there. Take a moment to peruse Daniel's desk: a drama of the self, spread out in card-deck-like-order. A temple to narcissism, the chaos-order of this life of the prophet Daniel, always the man at the center of the action, that group hug there, selfie with girl in bikini, selfie with Indian yogi, selfie with girls on dance floor, selfie by swimming pool. Selfies of selfies, the parachute jump and snow-boarding selfie.On the edge of this photo plantation, a much-thumbed photo of what appears to be mum: the only smile in the whole ensemble which hasn't gone nuclear yet. DANIEL (CONT'D) I've downloaded this exciting new dating App. Daniel notices something above his eye line. DANIEL (CONT'D) Listen, Simone is here, I'll speak to you later, got-to-go-go. We see a tall slender woman, gorgeous, blond, sophisticated, a fellow bond trader dressed in the giveaway expensive suit as she begins to weave towards him. INT. RESTAURANT- LATER Simone is sipping ice water whilst Daniel is in slumped-back mode with his new Iphone. SIMONE What's so demanding? DANIEL Lester sent me a new App. SIMONE Mum and dad would love to see you over the holiday. DANIEL I can't promise anything because there's so much going on. Simone stares down at her glass. SIMONE Other women for example? DANIEL Please don't start in on that Simone. SIMONE Your Iphone keeps beeping. DANIEL It's uploading old data. Daniel seems evasive for once. SIMONE You'll ring? Daniel is distant. DANIEL Yeah....... sure. Simone glances at her watch. SIMONE I'd better go if I'm to catch my connection. Daniel finally puts his Iphone down. DANIEL Take care Simone, we'll speak soon. SIMONE Sure. They share a moment. DANIEL Call me from your parents. SIMONE I will. So long. Daniel watches here go, as graceful as she entered. His cell phone rings, an annoying sleigh-bells tune. DANIEL Lester. It was a nice drink. We talked, you know? A bar maid scoops up Daniel's glass and smiles, he smiles right back. DANIEL (CONT'D) Lester. I've just downloaded that App. The bar maid places a fresh beer down and they lock eyes. DANIEL (CONT'D) I don't know, I didn't read the small print. It asks for basic details, a photo, a few other details and it does the rest. Says it will do everything - whatever that means? I'll work my way up towards you, where are you now? Daniel flips his cell shut. The Iphone has finished downloading, a message instantly appears inside the Apps s logo. DANIEL (CONT'D) Whoa? Screen reads: "your perfect girl will be with you in 5 seconds" TAMARA Hi! Daniel jumps, his beer slops. TAMARA (CONT'D) Oooh, you should be more careful. DANIEL Wait... do you know me? TAMARA Sure. I've seen all of your photos! DANIEL All? Where? On this App. I only uploaded one. TAMARA Sure. But then the App looks for all of your photos right across the web and uploads everything. Take me. I uploaded just 3 photos but the App found and uploaded 533 other photos into the "additional photo bucket" on the App. I didn't even have to request it and it only took 5 minutes. DANIEL That's insane. Tamara sits down, she's dressed like a bunny rabbit, one with boobs pushed up high and out. DANIEL (CONT'D) How many "additional" photos did my profile hold? TAMARA Oh, I think it was something like 843, including that one where you had your thing out in Corfu. Daniel seems confused and ends his sentences in burbling. DANIEL Wait but I deleted all of those.... pictures. They were from back in the days of the trader apocalypse. TAMARA Oh it's there alright. That's why I responded... trader-what? DANIEL 2007 ring any bells? TAMARA I don't know about all that. I remember that stripping was hard to get by in back then, listen, my boyfriend is a rigger on World Trade Center 1 just now, which is cool but if he sees me here he might kind of kill you. Want to get a room? DANIEL Tamara? TAMARA Daniel? DANIEL Forgive me, but I've got to go. EXT. MANHATTAN - STREET SIDE Daniel piles out of the bar and joins the flow of people on the side walk. He's panicking. Sweating even. People are looking at him, all about Manhattan is turning into night. DANIEL (cell) Lester, where are you! Pick up! Daniel passes a glamorous couple who seem to be watching him intensely, especially the girl who has dark eye liner shadow. Although he returns a smile he seems very nervous and suspicious. DANIEL (CONT'D) Message from Danny. I'll be in "Babes" in 30 minutes. I downloaded that App and minutes later, some chick who was a stripper appears in the bar right in front of me, a stripper! I don't know. This thing has a life of its own, I can't find how to turn it off. She knew all about me. She knew everything, even about Corfu. Daniel flips his cell phone shut. Beep. The Iphone again: Message reads: "...hotter than a volcano and walking towards you right now - meet Lyra." DANIEL (CONT'D) Holy mother of god. What-is-this. How can they do this, this has to be in breach of some Amendm- LYRA Hi there you bad BAD boy? Daniel, visibly shaken. DANIEL Who the heck are you? LYRA I'm Lyra and I liked your profile. Daniel notices the eye shadow. DANIEL Wait, didn't you just pass me just now with a guy? LYRA Oh, that was Larry, but he's not into "fun to all hours of the night and just love a sauna." DANIEL That sounds like something I wrote on.... LYRA I think it said that it was on Craigslist before, the App knows everything, so cool. That was you... right? DANIEL Sure, but it was another time, I was going through a- ... wait, forget it. Whoa, hold the phone, just-a- reality-check-moment. How did you find me? I'm not in a bar, this is state side. LYRA Okay, well, my friend Lonny, he's an IT whizz and so super-clever looked at the App and Lonny says it looks like some ex-military code that's been adapted from tracking people for the military and doing other stuff to now tracking people and doing other stuff that's really useful as a dating App. He says it's got some really clever algor-somethings built into to be able to do that. That's how it puts people together, it scans your past life, on the web, and makes a suitable match. Lonny says the triangulation-of-cell-phone- tracker is really cool. You only get that one you've had it for a month and it when it knows you are trustworthy, Lonny calls it a weak- AI program. Daniel is running, he sprints past a hot dog seller and rounds a corner into an alley. Wheezing with the effort, wiping his brow, he's thinking hard. He looks at his cell. It rings. DANIEL Hu---hu--hu--- hello. LESTER (O.S.) Daniel, is that you, are you okay? Where are you man? DANIEL Lester, listen, I'm being tracked, no, I'm being stalked, it's crazy, it's dangerous. I'm not that far away, listen, I'm turning off my cell for a while, it will be safer for everyone. Beep. DANIEL (CONT'D) Got to go. Daniel cautiously retrieves the Iphone. Message: Lyra wrote in your profile that she was "disappointed" but she promises to forgive you if you invite her to "Elite Saunas", a favourite haunt of yours back in the day, she's seen those photos. She'd like you to buy a day-ticket which includes her best friend Stavros. However, great news, Henrietta is waiting for you at the bar at "Babes". INT. "BABES" RETRO BAR - MOMENTS LATER Daniel gliding through the bar with a serviette he's grabbed covering his mouth. We can only see his eyes darting about. He chances the cell, a text from Lester, "I'm in the Rest Room at Babes". The message was sent seconds ago. Daniel steals a glance at the bar. A sophisticated-looking woman with pearl ear rings is waiting and keeps checking her Iphone. INT. REST ROOM - SECONDS LATER Daniel doing circles. Lester, red hair, taller, keeps wiping his hand through his hair. LESTER You could lick these they're so clean. DANIEL What are you taking about Lester? LESTER The urinals. DANIEL Listen, Lester, you may think this is funny... hilarious even. But I was nearly a murder victim today and nobody would find you if you were buried under World Trade Center 1. Lester trails his finger along the top of one of the urinals and licks. LESTER I reckon I wouldn't even catch a cold. Daniel scans him. DANIEL You're sick. You know that? LESTER It's not so bad, I mean, let's just go out and meet this girl. She might be terrific? INT - BAR Daniel sips ice water. Lester, keeping distance down wind glances up the bar and nods as he downs a shot. Daniel acknowledges him over the shoulder of.... Cynthia... who is twirling her hair, red lips, piercing blue eyes, as Daniel leans in earnestly and is concentrating furiously. CYNTHIA I really would like to circumnavigate. DANIEL Do you mean.... to travel? CYNTHIA My two puppies are my most precious assets and haven't really been anywhere and I just know that they'd really enjoy it. Daniel glances nervously at Cynthia's breasts. DANIEL I sort of understand that. CYNTHIA I was referring to my Cocker Spaniels. They're very intelligent dogs and at home now. (continued)

Last edited by dpaterso : 12-27-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
dpaterso

Code:
App (continued) INT. YELLOW TAXI - RUSHING TOWARDS UPPER EAST SIDE Daniel deleting files from his Iphone. Lester looking puzzled, out of the window we see Manhattan flashing by. LESTER I mean who cares if you once snow- boarded nude? DANIEL I have that Wipeware software at the apartment. It deletes your history from the web. INT. APARTMENT - CLOSE TO MIDNIGHT Daniel stares in disbelief at his laptop screen, something is running off data from his files like crazy. We recognize the blinking icon, it's the App. DANIEL What-the-heck-is-it-doing? LESTER Oh, it looks like it's transferering your files to the cloud somewhere. Meanwhile on the table, vibrating on its axis... Daniel's Iphone: Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. DANIEL Listen to this: "...there are several dates tracking you right now, you have interest from Missy....Doreen....O'Hara... Trey... LESTER Is that message on your cell too? Daniel steps back, the screens on his laptop, cell, Iphone all look the same, they have become...one. Daniel suddenly grabs his cell and dials 911. DANIEL This has to end... LESTER Look at this... Lester reads from the screens: LESTER (CONT'D) You got Felicity... Michelle... Babs... and Crazygal en route it says. DING! DANIEL I think I still have my gun somewhere. LESTER That little pistol? Daniel shares a look with Lester. WOMAN'S VOICE Daniel Mason... is there a Daniel or a Danny in there. DANIEL Wh wants to know? WOMAN'S VOICE The NYPD! Daniel slips the dead bolts and unlocks the apartment door. A very tall and attractive NYPD cop steps inside. NYPD OFFICER Daniel Mason? DANIEL Yes. For now. NYPD OFFICER We got your 911 call sir. But I chose to come in person. DANIEL What do you mean exactly? NYPD OFFICER I'm Trey, well, not Trey, that's not my real name of course, my real name is Barbara! Daniel backs away. NYPD OFFICER (CONT'D) I love yoga too, I've eaten locusts, we've done the same Jungle Creep trips in Indonesia. DANIEL What? NYPD OFFICER I found you on my new dating App and when the 911 call address and the address on my App were the same, I knew it was a sign. NYPD OFFICER (CONT'D) I told Joe, that's my NYPD partner, to stand down, let me handles and so here I am. Wipes her brow. NYPD OFFICER (CONT'D) So, do you want to go and get Pizza. I know you like pizza... Sleigh bells plays as we suddenly cut to BLACK.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #4
dpaterso

Code:
The Escape FADE IN. INT/EXT. CAR - DAY Subtitle: New York City "Empire state of mind" by Jay-Z plays in the car. Our driver, a thirty something male with a scruffy beard hits the breaks. He breathes heavily and observes his surroundings. This is JOE. He looks at his phone, 7:30 AM. December 25th JOE What the f*ck? REVEAL MARGIE (27) on the passenger side. She is dressed like a fairy. MARGIE What? Joe is startled! JOE AH! MARGIE What? JOE Who are you?! MARGIE What? JOE Where am I? MARGIE Dude... You... were just... MUTHAF*CKING DRIVING A CAR IN THE HIGHWAY WITH ME IN IT! Joe gets out of the car, having abruptly stopped in the middle of it all traffic starts to build. Margie gets out as well. MARGIE (CON'T) Joe, what the f*ck are you doing? JOE I don't know you! And who's Joe? MARGIE What? Dude. You okay? Joe walks down the middle of the street, the cars passing by his side just stare at the man. JOE DON'T FOLLOW ME! Margie continues to follow. MARGIE Can you stop for a second? Just STOP! Joe takes his shirt off. MARGIE (CON'T) What is wrong with you? STOP! He takes his pants off and with them his shoes. JOE It's hot. So hot! MARGIE No it's-- She picks up his shoes and pants. MARGIE (CON'T) Joe, STOP! Joe takes off his underwear, now totally nude in the middle of the highway, still walking. MARGIE (CON'T) Oh my God! Joe gets in the middle of one of the moving lanes, stopping traffic now on that side. Two out of the 3 lanes are now out of commission. DRIVER Move *sshole! The horns begin to sound out of various upset drivers. MARGIE (CON'T) Joe! You need to put your clothes back on, you are going to get arrested! JOE So hot! Sure enough, from the only moving lane a cop car shows up. In it, Rookie OFFICER MANN (mid 20's). He stops, closing off the third lane, and gets out of his vehicle. The officer approaches carefully, with his hand by his weapon. OFFICER MANN (to the girl) What's going on? MARGIE He just went crazy I-- DRIVER (to officer) HEY! Can you make this *sshole move? OFFICER MANN Calm down! (then to girl) Is he on any medications? MARGIE No, not that I'm aware of. Joe is now dancing on top of the hood of the car, with the driver who has been cursing him out. OFFICER MANN What is your relationship to this man? MARGIE He is my boyfriend. We were on the way to his ex-wife's house to deliver the gifts for his three kids. Celebrate Christmas. Randomly, a second man gets out of his car, and takes his clothes off. He also starts dancing around. A third man does the same. then a fourth. OFFICER MANN What the hell is going on? (to the men) HEY! HEY! You all stop that! A NEWS HELICOPTER shows up. They are now being recorded and transmitted live! OFFICER MANN (CON'T) This is getting ugly. Tell you what, that your car there? MARGIE Well, our car yes. OFFICER MANN Go in it, and move it out of the road. I have to take these men in before they harm themselves. MARGIE And then what? OFFICER MANN I don't-- (to the men) Hey, STOP THAT! I will have to taser you! (then) Just get if off the road. The officer proceeds to one by one place the men in the back of his car. He gets in, turns on the sirens and leaves. They drive for a while, with the four men in the back each observing the other. the officer breaks the silence. OFFICER MANN Joe, you didn't tell me you were going to have friends with you? JOE I don't know these guys. The officer SLAMS on his brakes, the car stops. OFFICER MANN WHAT?! JOE Why did you guys take off your clothes? MAN 1 Well... I figured you were getting arrested, and when I saw the helicopter, I figured if my family saw me getting arrested they would understand why I'm not at Christmas with them. MAN 2 I, kinda figured the same. I don't wanna see my f*cking family. So boring. MAN 3 Oh. I don't have a family so, figured I could join you guys in jail, have a story to tell. The officer starts laughing. MAN 1 Why did you do it? JOE I didn't buy any presents, I didn't want to. It's f*cking stupid and gay. Jimmy and I planned this weeks ago. OFFICER MANN Yeh, if they saw me arresting him, that means I wouldn't have to go to my family's either. MAN 2 Oh. MAN 3 Guess, we are kinda f*cked up people, huh? The officer pops open a bottle of eggnog. And a bag of plastic cups. He hands each one of them a cup and serves them. The officer starts his car again and they head to an empty lot. EMPTY LOT. A news helicopter lands. the PILOT (male 40's), REPORTER (female 20's) and CAMERA MAN (male 20's) come out. PILOT (to officer) Hope you got my nog' ready Jimmy! The 4 naked men step out of the vehicle. REPORTER Oh you brought the entertainment too? The men, now in a more intimate setting, feel a little embarrassed and cover their privates with the free hand. Cup in the other hand. JOE Wait, you got them involved too? OFFICER MANN Of course! I wasn't going to not share this opportunity with my friends! CAMERA MAN That's why I love you Jimmy! Got to do my job, and dodge a bullet. JOE We really are ****ed up people. OFFICER MANN Guess we are. Merry Christmas? JOE Best one I've had. EVERYONE Me too/me too/hell yes! MAN 2 Amen! They all laugh and drink up. EXT. SKY - SAME Santa Claus rides his sleigh, empty toy bag and tired. He looks down and sees the naked men, cop, and news crew celebrating, having a great time, drinking and toasting down under. SANTA (to reindeers) That's the spirit! Ho, ho, ho! THE END.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:11 AM   #5
dpaterso

Code:
Final Year Report INT. MEETING ROOM - NIGHT A MONTAGE of a series of GRAPHS and CHARTS display on a TV monitor. We are watching a presentation. A new graph with bars fills the screen, showing a slight tendency to increase. The last bar is significantly higher. A laser pointer scans the bars. A HIGH PITCHED VOICE comments. HIGH PITCHED VOICE (OS) ... with an increase this year of the number of casualties about 2%. DEEP VOICE (OS) Was that the negligence issue in Beijing? HIGH PITCHED VOICE (OS) (a bit nervous) Er... well, it-it was an accident, but yes. We lost three men there. DEEP VOICE (OS) And we couldn't deliver in time. Continue, please. PULL BACK to finally reveal a very nervous BERNARD, the owner of the high pitched voice. He's near the screen, with a MOUSE on one hand and a LASER POINTER on the other. He's short, wearing a green costume and a red hat, like an ELF. Actually he's an elf. And yes, he has pointy ears. And no, he's not jolly happy. Same as all the other elves seating at the Board meeting table. GLORIA seats near Bernard. She nods quickly at him in approval and taps the table next to her (finish and sit down). BERNARD (relieved, quick) And this concludes this final year's report. The owner of the deep voice claps his big hands thunderously at the other end of the table. He's a big man wearing a red outfit and probably needs no presentation. His red hat is on the table. SANTA CLAUS Ho, ho, ho! Fantastic report, Bernard. Please, sit down, my little friend. Bernard slumps on his chair, a huge weight off his shoulders. Gloria taps his hand (good job). The rest of the elves clap after Santa in a not too enthusiastic manner. They all look so tired. Santa Claus stands, his massive body dwarfing the elves even more. SANTA CLAUS I'm not going to lie and say I am happy with the decline of quality of service. Santa scans each of the elves, who shuffle uneasy on their chairs. You could call this a dramatic pause. GLORIA That was an accident, Santa. SANTA CLAUS Accidents happen because people are lazy and don't follow procedures. You should know more than anyone, Gloria. Gloria simply smiles and hides her hurt feelings like a pro. SANTA CLAUS Children from all over the world expect the most of us and we cannot fail. Specially not in China. Not in these days. Elves look at each other and frown. They don't approve Santa's lack of tact but no one dares to say. SANTA CLAUS However! We are in Christmas and the job was done, so I think we all deserve our well earned holiday, ho, ho, ho! Santa claps once and gathers the papers in front of him. He turns and gets ready to leave. SANTA CLAUS So, if there's nothing else... Gloria nudges Bernard. BERNARD S-Santa, there's-ss actually something we'd like to... Santa stops, surprised. This is new. Without losing his humor, Santa turns to the meeting table. SANTA CLAUS Ho, ho! And what is it, my dear Bernard? Do I need to sit? BERNARD It might be better, Sir. Santa frowns slightly. What do these elves want? He slowly sits back on his chair. A long silence. SANTA CLAUS Well? BERNARD It's about over... time. Santa doesn't understand. And he looks scary when he doesn't understand. The elves move uneasy on their chairs. SANTA CLAUS What overtime, Bernard? Bernard freezes for a moment, the figure of Santa is a bit overwhelming. Gloria moves her chair closer to him, for moral support. SANTA CLAUS What's this all about, Gloria? BERNARD (regaining courage) We-we work too many hours. There are too many kids and we are not enough. Accidents happen. So that was the problem. SANTA CLAUS This is our job, Bernard. I wish I could have more elves but they don't grow on Christmas trees. GLORIA (sarcastic) We don't have time to make new elves, if you know what I mean. SANTA CLAUS Ho, ho, ho! Now, that's funny. Maybe you should stop being a sad widow and find a nice little elf for you. (winks) If you know what I mean. Gloria flushes, a mix of anger and shame. A disapproving murmur fills the table. SANTA CLAUS We cannot stop just because we lose some elves, it's part of the business. Bernard stands up, his face red in anger. BERNARD Some elves? Those elves killed in Beijing included two of my cousins, Twinkle and Bluestar! Santa pauses and messes his white beard, realizing this is more personal than it seems. SANTA CLAUS I cannot guarantee your safety if you don't follow the procedures. BERNARD Twinkle told me they were exhausted wrapping the toys the whole night, they didn't want to go out, but you forced them. Gloria touches Bernard's arm. Bernard looks at her and calms down a little. He sits down. Santa shrugs. SANTA CLAUS What can I do? It's Gloria's turn to stand up. She addresses all the elves making sure not to make eye contact with Santa. GLORIA We have talked and the Board has decided to propose a vote of no confidence against you, Santa. Santa Claus pauses for a moment, trying to find the right words. SANTA CLAUS Don't fvck with me, Gloria. The elves gasp at the swear word. Gloria ignores him. GLORIA Who is in favour? Please rise your hand. SANTA CLAUS Nobody's going to-- One by one all the elves rise their little hesitant hands. The last two are Bernard, then Gloria, more confident. Santa looks around in shock. Gloria looks at Santa, defiant. SANTA CLAUS For Heaven's sake. What do you think you are doing? GLORIA (as firm as possible) It's unanimous. Santa, you are no longer part of this company, or the North Pole. Santa looks at the elves, he cannot believe what's happening. He addresses one of them. SANTA CLAUS Zachary, you too? You rode with me on the sledge. You don't remember? Zachary's hand trembles a little. He looks at Santa with sadness in his eyes but his hand stays up. He knows what's he's doing. Gloria smiles. SANTA CLAUS This is all your doing, Gloria... GLORIA I think you should leave, Santa. Santa stands up slowly, his head a bit dizzy. The elves slowly lower their hands. Santa turns to Bernard. SANTA CLAUS Bernard, I picked you up when you were a little boy, starving and cold in the snow. Bernard looks sadly at Santa, painful memories flowing. He looks away. SANTA CLAUS I gave you shelter and food. I gave you a purpose. To all of you! BERNARD We are slaves. SANTA CLAUS I should have left you to the wolves. A long pause. Santa nods, understanding. So this is it. He looks at all the elves, as the father of this big family. A family that doesn't want him any more. SANTA CLAUS All right. All right. If this is what you all want. Santa turns and walks to the door. Gloria cannot hide her triumphant grin. Santa stops at the door frame and turns. SANTA CLAUS I only have one question. The elves sitting at the table, with Gloria standing at the head, look up at Santa. SANTA CLAUS Who is going to replace me? GLORIA We haven't decided yet. We will have a vote. SANTA CLAUS Really? Ho, ho, ho... Santa turns around and sits back on his chair, which creaks under his weight. Bernard looks at Gloria. She shrugs. They have no idea what's happening. SANTA CLAUS (to Gloria) It might be better if you take a seat, dear. Gloria doesn't. SANTA CLAUS The regulations state that only a person living on the North Pole can take command of Christmas. GLORIA Any of us could do the job. We all live on the North Pole. SANTA CLAUS Yes, but you are not... persons. Not in a human way at least. GLORIA But-- SANTA CLAUS (disgusted) You are just... elves. Many people don't believe you even exist. GLORIA Many people don't believe in you either. SANTA CLAUS Alas! But even those consider me a person, don't they? A human person. You are nobody. Gloria sits down slowly. She looks down, holding her tiny hands. Bernard looks for an answer in her face but Gloria doesn't look back at him. The rest of the elves are really concerned about the turn of events. SANTA CLAUS Ho, ho, ho! It seems I'm going to be around a bit more. Santa claps his knees and stands up. He looks at all of his elves. Bernard looks at him. What's gonna happen? SANTA CLAUS However! Don't be so sad. It's Christmas! Ho, ho, ho! Look, this is what we'll do. Bernard looks at Santa and smiles slightly. The old good Santa? SANTA CLAUS All those who want to leave, there's the door. No hard feelings. It's the worst of Winter and you are old and not used to the wilderness... But freedom comes with a price. Santa looks at Gloria and smiles victorious. SANTA CLAUS I'd suggest you, Gloria, take the lead for that group. You will be able to command something, as you always wanted. Maybe not for long but... ho! Gloria cannot help start weeping softly. Bernard doesn't dare to comfort her. Santa looks at Bernard in the eye, his blood evaporating from his face. SANTA CLAUS To all the others, I want a smile stuck on your rat faces from now on and move your tiny butts to the production line... NOW! ZACHARY And the holidays? Bernard puts a finger to his lips (shut up!). Santa walks to the door. He remembers something else. SANTA CLAUS Oh, and Merry Christmas to all! Ho, ho, ho! END

Old 12-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #6
dpaterso

Code:
The Gift EXT. DESERT - DAY The SUN. It beats down upon CALIFORNIA'S INTERSTATE 10. The heat rises from the road as a Dodge Challenger zooms past. INT. DODGE - DAY MARK, single and self-absorbed, changes channels on his XM radio. The car slowly drifts to the left lane. A loud car horn and Mark quickly jerks the wheel. Back in his lane, He watches in the rear view as a car goes the opposite way. Mark shrugs. He goes back to the radio. EXT. DESERT - DAY A TARANTULA, the typical hairy, big, shivers down your back type,scurries across the dusty and arid ground. It dodges rocks and other debris as it hastily moves across the desert floor. It stops abruptly. A HAWK scouts the desert from atop a large rock. The Tarantula creeps from rock to dead wood to cactus. Suddenly, traditional Mexican music blares. The Hawk, startled, flies away. The Tarantula hesitates under a barrel cactus. He scans the area. He sees a brightly painted gas station. The Tarantula moves. His legs are almost a blur as he jukes and jives the obstacles in his path. INT. DODGE - DAY Mark sees the gas station. He slows down and pulls in. EXT. DESERT - DAY The Tarantula enters the open back door of the GAS STATION It scurries along the floor and takes refuge in the shadow of a large table. It climbs one of the legs. Mark stands on the other side of the table. He scans the many fruit baskets crammed on it. One of the baskets, in the back row, has a large red and green bow on the handle. Mark picks it up, turns, and walks out the door. INT. / EXT. DODGE - DAY The GAS ATTENDANT peers in the driver's side window. GAS ATTENDANT Forty for the gas and ten for the fruit, Amigo. Mark hands the man a Fifty, rolls up the window, and dons his shades. EXT. GAS STATION - DAY The dodge blows out of the station and back onto the Interstate. INT. / EXT. DODGE - DAY Mark goes back to fidgeting with his radio. He hits the buttons, changes channels, and occasionally looks up at the road. The car drifts once again into the wrong lane. Mark doesn't notice the 18-wheeler rushing his way. The Semi lays on the horn. MARK ****! Mark jerks the wheel. The truck narrowly zooms past. The fruit basket flies across the back seat. Mark regains his composure, laughs, and drives on. He reaches back with one hand and uprights the basket. He reaches around for the loose fruit while keeping his eyes on the road. He gropes around until he grabs an orange. He lifts the orange up, revealing the Tarantula, unseen by Mark. Mark tosses the orange toward the basket. Mark reaches and feels around for more fruit. The Tarantula dodging his every move. Mark's hand is about to clutch the spider. It rears up to sink its fangs when the phone rings. Mark's hand quickly retreats from the back seat. He hits the answer button on the radio. MOM (O.S) Mark, honey, don't forget your sister and little Beth's gift. Mark huffs. MARK I've got it Mom. I'll drop it off at their place before coming home. MOM (O.S) Okay dear. Did you get them something from Vegas? Mark scratches his head. MARK No, I picked something up along the way. Mom's voice changes from sweet to sour. MOM (O.S) Dammit Mark you didnt get them something lame again like a fruit basket did you? Mark looks shocked. MARK Traffic's bad Mom gotta go. Mark hits the "end call" button. EXT. INTERSTATE 10 - DAY A Cadillac rolls up next to the Dodge. INT. / EXT. DODGE - DAY Mark looks over at the old car. An old woman looks back at Mark, horrified. An old man screams and points at Mark. INT. / EXT. CADILLAC - DAY CONTINUOUS The Old Man and Old Woman scream frantically at Mark. The Tarantula rests on Mark's shoulder. Mark gives them a funny look. INT. DODGE - DAY MARK Crazy old people. Mark presses the gas pedal. He glances back in his rear view as the Dodge zooms ahead. He sees his exit. The Tarantula creeps along the top of the head rest. It brushes by Mark's hair. Mark reaches up to scratch his head, narrowly missing the spider as it goes over the back of the seat. The Tarantula goes under the seat. Mark stops at a red light. His hand on the steering wheel, taps to the beat of the music. His right foot taps the gas pedal the same way. The Tarantula emerges from under the seat. It watches Mark's tapping foot. It curiously creeps to it. Mark presses the gas pedal. Mark's foot move from one pedal to the next as the spider playfully moves his legs at it. EXT. DRIVEWAY - DAY The Dodge pulls into a driveway. Mark gets out of the car. He opens the back door. He gets into THE BACKSEAT Mark grabs up the loose fruit, shoves them in the basket. He reaches under the driver's seat. His face turns concerned. MARK What is this? Mark pulls back his hand, holding a dried up old sock. Disgusted he tosses back in the floor. He shrugs and exits the car. EXT. DRIVEWAY - DAY Mark walks up to the front door. He knocks while entering THE HOUSE His sister Kim and his niece BETH stand waiting. Beth, a twelve year-old goth, stares, unimpressed. Mark looks uneasy. Beth's eyes burn a hole into Mark's soul. He nervously extends the basket to Kim. She gives a half-hearted smile. At that moment, the Tarantula crawls over Mark's shoulder. Kim is aghast. Beth smiles like never before. BETH Thank you uncle Mark! It's the best gift ever! Mark looks confused. The Tarantula crawls down Mark's chest as Beth snatches it. Mark's eyes go wide. He is paralyzed. Kim takes the basket and shakes her head. Beth runs off with her new friend. Mark is barely able to speak. MARK Merry Christmas?! END

Old 12-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
dpaterso

Code:
Every Dog FADE IN: INT/EXT. CAR - MICHIGAN - NIGHT SUBTITLES APPEARS: DAGGET, MI - 2014 A man drives through an uninhabited neighborhood. On and off he looks at himself in the rear-view mirror. He is wearing thick, dark glasses, and speaks with a THICK Russian accent. This is EROL (50). He smiles. EROL You vant camera, Dad buy camera. You vant, I get! We pan to the box on the passenger side from Erol's POV. It says: "HD HIDDEN CAMERA GLASSES" The box has a picture of the glasses Erol is wearing. The camera is mounted on the bridge of the glasses. We view everything from that camera's perspective. The smiling man again glances on and off to see himself in the rear view mirror. EROL (CON'T) No one can tell! Kid how you like my pretty face now? Number von Dad right? (huge laughter) Aah! That's meee! He puts his index finger up pointing at his cheesy smile. EROL (CON'T) I see your face already when you see gift! This so great! EXT. EROL'S HOME - SAME Erol parks in front of his home. It's a poor, almost deserted block. His broken down house is the only one decorated for the Christmas season, there is even a faint digital jingle bells tune playing from the front yard. He tried. The man gets out. EROL (CON'T) Look at this! MTV Cribs. Happy lights all over! happy si-- MAN (O.S.) YO! We pan to the right with Erol, it's his only neighbor, JAN (40's). A fat, trashy man holding an over-sized can of beer. Any other day, you'd mistaken him for homeless. EROL Janny boy! Ey! Happy Christmas. JAN Merry Erol... It's Merry. EROL Same chit. JAN New glasses, eh? EROL For kid. Look, camera. Erol's TAPS the lens with his finger, making our view Dark/image/dark/image. JAN Ah, yeah. Look at that. F*ckin' gadgets. He's gonna love it. How's the acting? EROL Grade A! My son almost good as Keanu Reeves. JAN That's horrible, don't say that. EROL Why not? American super star! JAN Ah... Sure, as long as he got no lines. Jan's dog CHASE starts BARKING in the background. JAN (CON'T) ****ing dog. He smells whatever piss those feral dogs leave at night. Makes him crazy. Erol puts his arms in front of him and grabs Jan's face. EROL It's fine! All happy today. Even wild dogs should have Christmas! (beat) Give me hug you smelly man! They hug. JAN Ah, you big puss. Erol walks towards his front door while speaking to Jan. EROL (CON'T) Say hi to family for me. JAN (O.S.) Chase is my family. EROL Then say woof for me! JAN (O.S.) That's funny... Keanu funny. Erol laughs, he fiddles with his keys. INT. EROL'S HOME - SAME As we walk in, a glorious Christmas tree lights up Erol's living room, but our sight quickly moves to the couch. A woman lays in that dirty couch, that's his wife (45). EROL (quietly) Oh, your Mother sleep! Quick glance at the watch. EROL (CON'T) Only 10 p-m. Ver are youuuu? Pan up as Erol turns around to shut the door REVEAL masked man POINTING GUN directly at him! EROL (CON'T) (startled) Woah! BLAM! The man fires. We fall over with Erol who amidst some moans and crawling ends up facing the inside of the house. There, around the couch, the legs of his son motionless. The dog barks outside, Erol crawls towards him but the masked man walks in front and block his path. His shoes block the view. BLAM! Another gun shot. With each gun shot the camera shakes violently. BLAM! BLAM! Then... Silence. The camera is lifted. We are shut off. EXT. OHIO AFFLUENT NEIGHBORHOOD - NIGHT SUBTITLE APPEARS: TERRACE PARK, OH - ONE YEAR LATER A group of carolers singing joyous Christmas music fill the air's sound! This is a neighborhood of wealth, the houses are extravagant, and the front yards spare no expense on their seasonal decoration. This is the best Ohio has to offer. INT. VADIM'S HOUSE/BASEMENT - NIGHT VADIM (55), a bearded man with a mangled face comes to, he is tied up in a chair. A quick examination of the room and he panics! VADIM What the f*ck is this? In front of his chair is a table, with his son's MATH TOY, and a butcher's cleaver. A man, dressed as SANTA, sits across the table. VADIM (CON'T) Where is my son!? Santa runs his thumb through his own neck. There is a moment of silence, as tears develop is Vadim's eyes. VADIM (CON'T) He was a child. He tries to move, but can't. VADIM (CON'T) A F*CKING child! Santa just tilt's his head curiously then turns on the son's math toy. The toy's sound, is a kid friendly female voice. TOY (V.O.) Hello! Ready for some math? Santa presses "yes" TOY (V.O.)(CON'T) Great! Let's start. VADIM (CON'T) If this is about business, I'm sure we can fix this somehow. Who sent you? Tell me! (beat) Who is the coward? Boris? Huh? The question on the toy reads: "4+4 = ?" Santa presses the number "3". TOY (V.O.) Try again! VADIM Vladimir? That cockroach? TOY (V.O.) Try again! Vadim tries to kick in anger, but his feet are also tied. VADIM F********CK! (in a calmer tone) Fine! Fine. Whatever they are paying you I-- I can double. TOY (V.O.) Try again! VADIM What is it? Standard? Ten G's? TOY (V.O.) Try again! Santa picks up the butcher's cleaver and lifts it up in the air when-- VADIM AH! I can give you Fifty! A hundred! I give you A HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS Just-- Vadim pants as Santa lowers the cleaver. In a thick Russian accent: SANTA That is same thing I said to man you sent to kill me. Where? Santa pulls down his beard, it's EROL. VADIM Erol? EROL Don't like the costume? For what I vill do I could also be dressed as Robin Hood if you like. VADIM But... I saw the tape... I saw-- EROL You saw what I vanted! Top grade A acting no? My son, he good as Keanu Reeves now... As long as no talk required. Runs in family. (beat) No? Lighten up, It's bad accent joke. Erol lifts up the meat cleaver again. EROL (CON'T) I have to pay that man. Vere's the money? VADIM Wait, wait! It's upstairs, in my safe. Erol, you have to-- EROL Combination? VADIM (nervously) It was the boss, it-- it was not my call Erol. You know me! Erol GETS UP and SLAMS the cleaver into the table! EROL (screaming) COMBINATION! VADIM Okay! Sh*t Erol! Sh*t! It's my son's birthday. Ten, sixteen, zero-zero. EROL Very Cute. And Don't vory, boss get his. Santa visiting bad boys. VADIM Erol. Please. Erol cracks his knuckles. ` VADIM (CON'T) I just-- I had to... You can't just split from the mafia like that Erol. EROL Vhy not? You are about to. Erol raises the butcher's cleaver anew. Christmas music softly takes us to the next scene as Santa CHOPS! CHOPS! CHOPS! EXT. VADIM'S HOUSE - NIGHT A child (5) plays outside in the snow. Erol, coming out of the house still dressed as Santa and dragging a huge red bag, hands the child the Math toy. EROL Go inside, vait for your Mother. The child RUNS inside. INT/EXT. CAR - MICHIGAN - NIGHT SUBTITLES APPEARS: DAGGET, MI We drive in same desolate neighborhood we've come to know. Christmas music blares out of Erol's car, he sings along. EROL Deck the halls with... Fa-la-la-la-la-la... He comes across the pack of feral dogs in his neighborhood. He stops, reaches into his red Santa bag, and throws pieces of freshly cut meat to the dogs while yelling: EROL (CON'T) Ho-ho-ho! Happy Christmas! REVEAL Jan in the passenger side with Chase on his lap, he counts the money. JAN Merry Erol... It's Merry. Erol smiles. EROL Same chit. KONETS.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
dpaterso

Code:
Give Generously FADE IN: INT. POLICE SQUAD ROOM - DAY TEN SANTA CLAUSES stand in a line. They carry bells and charity boxes. DETECTIVE JERRY DONNER and LIEUTENANT CLARK KENT face them. Donner's a rumpled modern-day Columbo with a bad attitude who does things his way. Kent's an uptight pr!ck who detests the very air Donner breathes. DONNER Gotta say the boys are looking pretty smart, Clark. KENT That's Lieutenant Kent to you, Donner. (to the Santas) We're all clear on the signals? "Sleigh Bells" means they're in motion. When we have positive visual of the perps going into the bank, the signal is "Reindeer." Donner rolls his eyes, Jesus. KENT (CONT'D) The "go" signal is, "The presents are beneath the Christmas tree." On that signal, you converge on the bank and arrest the perps. Dumb Santa holds up his hand. Kent lifts his chin, inviting him to speak. DUMB SANTA Are we allowed to use lethal force? KENT You may use whatever force is appropriate for the situation. The perps will most likely be armed. You will challenge them and demand they surrender their weapons. If they refuse, you may open fire. DONNER These guys are professional crooks, they're gonna be packing heat and they're not gonna give it up. KENT You don't know-- DONNER Seriously, you should call SWAT and tell them to set up a death zone, no one comes out alive. KENT Jesus, Donner, will you just-- HUGGABLE SANTA We're gonna let them enter the bank? KENT If they don't enter the bank and attempt to rob it, we have nothing! They walk! We have to wait until they go inside and demand money from the bank staff. That's when I'll give the "go" signal. DUMB SANTA The Christmas tree? KENT The presents are beneath the Christmas tree. Beneath the tree. LARCENOUS SANTA Do we get to keep the money they give us? HUGGABLE SANTA That money's for the kids, man. DONNER No, you drop the boxes and the bells and you run into the bank and you shoot those motherfuggers. KENT Jesus Christ, Donner. RELIGIOUS SANTA When you blaspheme at Christmas, it's ten times as bad. Kent glares, barely able to stop himself from twitching. DONNER You sure the Captain approved this? KENT Of course he did, he gave me total authority. (to the Santas) Saddle up! Let's move out! INT. RENTAL TRUCK - DAY Engine noise. TEN BAD SANTAS are crowded inside. They're jostled around by the truck's movement. These grim-looking felons are led by NIRO, a professional heist artist who takes cool to a new level. Niro pulls his fake beard down to speak. NIRO Let's go over it one more time. Mister Partridge? MISTER PARTRIDGE I take care of the guard inside the entrance, on the left. NIRO Mister Turtle Doves? MISTER TURTLE DOVES I take care of the guard inside the entrance, on the right, bam. NIRO Nobody told you to bam him. Take his gun and make sure he doesn't cause any trouble. Mister French Hens? Mister French Hens holds up an electronic gizmo. MISTER FRENCH HENS I got the security cameras and the alarm systems. NIRO Mister Calling Birds? MISTER CALLING BIRDS These names are the stupidest thing I ever fuggin heard. Why can't I be called Mister Blue or something? MISTER PARTRIDGE Mister Blue gets shot by the cops. MISTER CALLING BIRDS The fugg are you talking about? NIRO Maybe we can discuss film appreciation some other time. Mister Calling Birds? MISTER CALLING BIRDS Yeah yeah, I take care of the locks and get us into the vault. NIRO Thank you. Mister Golden Rings? MISTER GOLDEN RINGS I take care of anyone in the vault. NIRO Mister Geese-A-Laying? Everyone chuckles at this stupid fuggin name. Someone makes a "Bwawk!" noise. Mister Geese-A-Laying angrily looks for the culprit. NIRO (CONT'D) When you're ready. MISTER GEESE-A-LAYING I jimmy the main vault's time lock and pop the door. NIRO If you can't do it in two minutes, we drop everything and walk. MISTER GEESE-A-LAYING I'll do it in one. This ain't my first rodeo. NIRO I like a man with confidence. Mister Swans-A-Swimming? MISTER SWANS-A-SWIMMING Safety deposit boxes, I pop 'em, me and Mister Golden Rings empty everything into the bags and get the fugg out of there. NIRO Outstanding. Mister Maids-A- Milking? Chuckles and giggling from the others, this is an even stupider nickname to have. MISS MAIDS-A-MILKING (woman's voice) I ask the bank manager to open the secret safe in his office and give me the bearer bonds inside. Everyone looks at Miss Maids-A-Milking because it's obvious now he ain't a Mister, he's a Miss. NIRO What if he says no? Miss Maids-A-Milking pulls a syringe from her pocket. MISS MAIDS-A-MILKING I inject this into his neck, then ask him again in thirty seconds. MISTER GEESE-A-LAYING Why not just inject the fugg right away? Why waste time? Miss Maids-A-Milking looks away, doesn't answer. NIRO It might kill him. Everyone looks at Niro. NIRO (CONT'D) We get caught, we do fifteen to twenty for bank robbery. If he dies, she gets a life sentence. He lets this sink in. NIRO (CONT'D) I think I'd want to ask him nicely first. Wouldn't you? The truck horn meeps three times. NIRO (CONT'D) Get ready. Let's do this. Everyone draws their piece and checks it's loaded, except for Miss Maids-A-Milking and Nico. They give each other another look. They all jerk as the truck stops. The engine falls silent. EXT. ALLEYWAY - RENTAL TRUCK - DAY Snow lies on the ground. The rental truck's back doors swing open. A ramp slides out, its end drops, hits the ground. The Bad Santas emerge from the back of the truck, empty sacks slung over their shoulders. KENT (V.O.) Sleigh Bells, Sleigh Bells. EXT. STORE OPPOSITE BANK - DAY Nico studies the reflection of the bank entrance in the store window. He turns his head to the left, and nods. The Bad Santas cross the street. EXT. CHARITY SANTA IN STREET - DAY Huggable Santa rings his bell. HUGGABLE SANTA Yo ho ho! Give generously, it's Christmas! Yo ho ho! A PASSER-BY drops change into the box, but Huggable Santa's attention is on something further along the street. EXT. DONNER'S CAR - DAY Donner sits parked some way up the street, his window down, smoking. He sees the Bad Santas crossing the street, WTF? KENT (V.O.) Reindeer, I repeat, Reindeer. We have gone to Reindeer. Donner ditches the cig and snatches up his radio mike. DONNER (INTO RADIO) They're wearing Santa costumes, repeat, they're dressed as Santas, watch out for blue on blue. Donner gets out, draws his piece, starts running. INT. BANK - DAY The Bad Santas enter the bank. BANK STAFF and CUSTOMERS think it's a joke, until the Bad Santas show their guns. Mister Partridge and Mister Turtle Doves cover the guards. Mister French Hens points his gizmo at a security camera, its red light goes out. Mister French Hens smiles. Nico jumps up onto a desk. NICO Merry Christmas! We're here to rob the bank, not you personally. Stay calm and nobody will get hurt. Miss Maids-A-Milking goes to the Manager's Office door, she knocks politely, enters and closes the door. The rest of the Bad Santas head for the vault. EXT. BANK ENTRANCE - DAY Donner meets up with the converging undercover cop Santas. They huddle at the door, peeking inside. HUGGABLE SANTA We haven't heard the "go" signal! DONNER Where the hell is Kent? EXT. ALLEYWAY - RENTAL TRUCK - DAY The driver's door opens, a black Santa boot steps down. The Bad Santa truck driver holds a smoking gun. Kent lies dead, crimson spatter in the snow. INT. BANK MANAGER'S OFFICE - DAY The BANK MANAGER gapes as Miss Maids-A-Milking pulls her beard down and smiles at him. BANK MANAGER Matilda? MISS MAIDS-A-MILKING Hi, Pops. Got a second? INT. BANK - DAY Donner leads the undercover cop Santa charge inside. The Bad Santas spin and start shooting! The undercover Santas shoot back! Staff and customers duck for cover, screaming! Guns blaze, Santas go down everywhere! Nico realizes he's screwed. He runs for a side door, grabs a FEMALE HOSTAGE on the way. Donner sees him making his getaway, and gives chase. INT. LONG CORRIDOR - DAY Nico sprints like Tom Cruise, dragging the yelping Female Hostage. Donner slams through the door, takes aim. DONNER That's far enough, pal! Nico skids to a stop, his back to Donner. A slow smile. FEMALE HOSTAGE Oh my God please don't kill me. NICO Lucky for you it's Christmas. Nico pushes her away and spins, shooting! Donner shoots back. Nico goes down. Female Hostage screams. INT. BANK MANAGER'S OFFICE - DAY Miss Maids-A-Milking holds the syringe needle at the terrified Bank Manager's throat. MISS MAIDS-A-MILKING Last chance, Pops. Open the safe. The Bank Manager peers over her shoulder. She looks back. Donner's in the doorway, gun aimed at her. She puts the syringe on the desk, kisses the Bank Manager on the head. Donner cuffs her and leads her to the door. BANK MANAGER We'll always love you, Matilda. MISS MAIDS-A-MILKING Say hi to Mom for me. INT. BANK - DAY Many Santas lie in various positions of violent death. The still-living Bad Santas are cuffed and led away by the undercover cop Santas. INT. DONNER'S CAR - DAY Miss Maids-A-Milking is in the passenger seat, still cuffed. Donner climbs into the driver's seat, pulls his door shut. MISS MAIDS-A-MILKING Don't I get a ride in a squad car? DONNER How about you come back to my place for the holidays instead? I'll be your daddy. MISS MAIDS-A-MILKING You had me at "come". Donner makes out with her. She gives as good as she gets. Cue sleigh bell music, and-- FADE OUT

Old 12-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #9
dpaterso

Code:
Christmas Beauty EXT. ROBIN HOOD TRAIL - EARLY MORNING We're FLYING above mountains, snow covered forests, backwoods America, DESCENDING SLOWLY over a dirt road that cuts through a grove of trees. DOUG (V.O.) My name is Douglas Pine. This is my neighborhood. This is my road. This... is my life. I'm forty-two years old. In less than a month, I'll be dead. Quiet shot of the woods. A faded, beat up Ford pick-up appears on the mountain road and pulls to a stop. DOUG (V.O.) Of course, I don't know that yet. (beat) And in a way I already am. An overweight, tired looking middle aged MAN gets out. He grabs binoculars from his truck and wades through knee deep snow to the middle of an open field. The man stares through the field glasses at something in the woods. He talks on a hand held radio but we can't hear him. DOUG (V.O.) Look at me, standing there. (then) This will be the high point of my day. It's all downhill from here. A large flatbed truck pulls up and parks behind the pick-up. Several BURLY OBNOXIOUS MEN spill out and look over at the man in the field. They SNEER and HOOT. DOUG (V.O.) Lest you think otherwise, this is not some sappy holiday story. This is a tale of torture and slow death. Mine. The burly men LAUGH as they throw back beer. DOUG (V.O.) And these are my killers. A cacophony of sound and confusing images SMASH into view before us. Snow FLIES. THWACK. GRUNTS. THWACK. The FLASH of an ax. More snow. MAN (O.S.) Ouch! Damn, I'm bleeding! Dirty rope. GRUNTS. A silent SCREAM. DOUG (V.O.) I scratched and fought my attackers with all my might. But in the end... they were stronger. An earth crushing THUMP. BURLY MAN (O.S.) Quick, grab that limb so he doesn't flip back. A DRAGGING sound. We follow a track in the snow of someone being dragged through it. On the snow next to the drag mark is a trail of crimson blood droplets. Something is hoisted with GRUNTS and drops with a THUD. We see an oily tarp and rope now hide something on the back of the flatbed truck. Doug's POV: Inside the dirty tarp. A truck engine ROARS to life and the tarp bounces as we RUMBLE along a road. DOUG (V.O.) It was the last time I would see my family. Unable to move in the tightly wrapped tarp I could only focus on the severe sharp pain in my lower limb. I knew I was losing too much fluid and my time was near. EXT. CITY PARK - NIGHT A park blanketed in snow glistens in the moonlight. The burly men grunt and drag something in the dark. We can not make out what they are doing as they move around with purpose in the black of night. DOUG (V.O.) I catch my breath as they remove the tarp but they quickly muzzle me with an electric cord wound tightly around my entire body. They ensured I would not escape in the night by putting my lower limb in metal vice with screws tightened deep into my flesh. A white house is seen a short distance away. A LARGE white house. THE White House. A field of small Christmas trees lights up all at once. And then they shut off just as quick. DOUG (V.O.) Through that last long night I had countless hooks stabbed into my skin which dangled weights from my broken and painful limbs. They stood me up and left me to die. The men high five each other and laugh as they wander out of the park. The moon shines down creating long shadows, one of which we assume is Doug, tied up and near death. DOUG (V.O.) Alone in the frozen night with only my thoughts. I suddenly wished I had done more with my life. I should have been a better father, brother, son and friend to all those that stood solidly by in my life and rooted for me... EXT. WHITE HOUSE BACK LAWN - NEXT DAY - DUSK The PRESIDENT walks across the back lawn with his WIFE, two CHILDREN and SECURITY. They exit the White House lawn and cross into the small city park. EXT. CITY PARK - DUSK The First Family meanders through rows of beautiful Christmas trees from every state. The same ones we saw flick on briefly the night before. They stop periodically and admire the ornaments. A large crowd parts to allow the Presidential family through. DOUG (V.O.) Things were quite fuzzy at this point so I don't know exactly where they came from, but there they were. Hundreds of people all staring at me. I must have been quite a sight. I guess they knew the end was near... maybe they were here to say goodbye. Doug's POV: We see the President and his family eye to eye. A huge crowd gathers behind them. Everyone stares. Suddenly their faces LIGHT UP in a warm glow of Christmas lights. CROWD PRESIDENT (in awed whispers) Wow. Wow. On the President, his family and the crowd. We swing around to see their POV: Meet Doug, or Douglas, the majestic and gorgeous National Christmas Tree. DOUG (V.O.) I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. FLASHBACK: EXT. SKY - DAY We are flying across a white blanket of clouds. DOUG (V.O.) First of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... EXT. WOODS - NIGHT In BLACK & WHITE: Doug's POV, A DOT OF LIGHT falls against an unbelievable starry night. DOUG (V.O.) For me, it was growing up watching falling stars... EXT. ROBIN HOOD TRAIL - DAY In BLACK & WHITE: Maple trees in autumn. Ghostly LEAVES FLUTTER slowly toward blowing grass. DOUG (V.O.) And yellow leaves, from the maple trees, that lined our field... EXT. ROBIN HOOD TRAIL - DAY In BLACK & WHITE: CLOSE on two squirrels as they make chase up and around inside a pine tree. DOUG (V.O.) The first time a squirrel tickled me... EXT. WOODS - DAY In BLACK & WHITE: small pine saplings wave and flap in the wind. DOUG (V.O.) And my children... (with love) And... my wife. BACK TO: EXT. CITY PARK - NIGHT - CONTINUED Kids run and laugh as they chase each other around Doug, the National Christmas Tree. A group of carolers sing O'Tannenbaum in the background. DOUG (V.O.) I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. And somehow my insignificant existence has contributed in some small way to the beauty of Christmas for others to enjoy. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... EXT. ROBIN HOOD TRAIL - DAY We're FLYING once again over Robin Hood Trail, ASCENDING SLOWLY above a fresh cut tree stump and then the remaining grove of trees from the opening scene. DOUG (V.O.) ...And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... (amused) You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... FADE TO BLACK. DOUG (V.O.) You will someday. Merry Christmas. THE END.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:18 AM   #10
dpaterso

Code:
The Christmas Hat FADE IN: INT. GROUND FLOOR APARTMENT- DAY WILLIAM REID (40s, never married, Accountant, loveable guy)is in his living room decorating his Christmas tree. The doorbell rings. William opens the door and a UPS DRIVER is standing at the door with a package. UPS DRIVER Package for Mr. Reid. WILLIAM Thank you. William takes the package inside and closes the door. He walks over to the kitchen table and sets the package down. It's from EDNA REID (His favorite Aunt). William opens the package and inside is a flannel hat complete with ear flaps. He stares at it completely surprised at its sight. He then sees a Christmas Card inside with a painting of a group of boys sledding down a hill. He opens the card and it reads- CARD I found your old hat in the attic. Thought you might want to capture your youth again. Merry Christmas- Aunt Edna. William puts on the hat and walks over to a mirror and begins laughing at himself. WILLIAM I can't believe it still fits. EXT. APARTMENT BUILDING- DAY The front door opens and William walks out of his apartment building into the cold air wearing a coat, gloves and the hat Aunt Edna sent him. He is carrying his garbage and is going to take it to the curb for garbage pick-up. William closes the door behind him. William starts to walk to the curb when the wind blows his hat off of his head. He becomes upset as he looks at it lying on the ground a few feet from him. He walks over to it and starts to pick it up, but as soon as he reaches for it the wind blows it away. William becomes frustrated and begins chasing his hat around the yard. The wind just keeps blowing it further away each time he thinks he's about to get it. Now the hat ends up in the street. William starts to go get it when a car comes by and runs over it. William has a horrified look on his face. The hat just lies in the street squashed. William goes over to the hat and picks it up and hurries back out of the busy street. He goes over to a grassy place and puts the hat down. He stares at it hoping it will move. He even tries to move it a few times by pushing on it, but it doesn't move. William begins to cry. EXT. PARK- DAY William is walking in the Park and is carrying a shovel in his right hand and a hat box with his hat inside it tucked under his left arm. He finds a suitable spot, sets the hat box down on the ground and starts digging a hole. A tear runs down his face. After he gets the hole dug deep enough to place the hat box inside he turns to the hat box and gets down onto his knees and opens it up. He takes the squashed hat out. He then tries to puff it up with his hands and he gives it a gentle kiss. William places the hat down on the ground and reaches back into the hole and tosses some small rocks out of it. As he does a gust of wind picks up and the hat begins moving slightly. William quickly looks at the hat, but it's not moving now. William then goes to pick the hat up, but a gust of wind comes by and blows the hat away from him. William is startled and then he smiles. He gets up to go get his hat and the wind blows it from him again. He then begins chasing his wind blown hat through the park having the best time of his life. FADE OUT: THE END

Closed Thread