Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcast recommendations

Besides Scriptones and Nerdist, what are some good screenwriting podcasts? I'm especially interested in things that focus more on the business side (agents, managers, query letters, managing a career, starting a career etc.) rather than the craft, but I'll take anything.

Re: Podcast recommendations

If you want to write for TV, the Children of Tendu podcast is essential listening. They very much focus on the business side over craft stuff, and they're very thorough and specific.

Austin Film Festival's "On Story" podcast is pretty good too, though it lands more on the craft side of things more often than not.

And I like the Blacklist Table Reads because I usually have more time to listen to screenplays than read them.

Comment

Scripts & Scribes hosted by Kevin Fukunaga features interviews with managers, agents, show runners, writers etc. Good mix of business and craft. It's worth going into the archives to listen to managers etc. when you're ready to start marketing your latest.

The Vomit Draft/Broken Projector podcast with Geoff LaTulippe
      Scott Beggs is entertaining and helpful.

Comment

Draft Zero is decent. It's two Aussie writers, so can occasionally be a bit parochial, although because they have a similar system of state funding to the UK I actually find some of their discussions more relevant than Scriptnotes et al.

www.draft-zero.com
        My stuff

Comment

I've found 3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast helpful. I've listened to a few and it seems the format is that they have someone from the Guild explain their part (credits/signatories/legal/etc) and then they have an interview with a writer.

Comment

Thanks, fellas!

Comment

Aside from the two that I produce, I also like Seated at the Writer's Table.
              Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
              3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Script and Scribes is my favorite. For a while, they had an amazing lineup of managers each week.

I found some major directors and screenwriters interviewed on Q & A with Jeff Goldsmith. And really like Pilar's podcast.

But, I find a lot of random stuff on youtube just by typing the name of whatever person I'm looking for. My favorite was the Steven Spielberg advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                  Script and Scribes is my favorite. For a while, they had an amazing lineup of managers each week.

I found some major directors and screenwriters interviewed on Q & A with Jeff Goldsmith. And really like Pilar's podcast.

But, I find a lot of random stuff on youtube just by typing the name of whatever person I'm looking for. My favorite was the Steven Spielberg advice.
                  That's who I really want to hear. Managers and agents. Or, I should say, I want to hear about how a career should be managed in the initial phase of trying to get in and how to get in, what are the things to think about etc.

Obviously, writers can talk about this, too, but I find they'll usually get asked "craft" questions, which is complete BS, you can't learn to write (you get better by doing it yourself) and that stuff is useless.

Comment

Try out "On the Page." Pilar does interview different industry folks including managers, writers who discuss working with reps, execs, etc. You might find some of those useful.
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                      Try out "On the Page." Pilar does interview different industry folks including managers, writers who discuss working with reps, execs, etc. You might find some of those useful.
                      That's a really good recommendation. She has even interviewed a few reps herself for those who are looking for that type of interview in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post
                        That's who I really want to hear. Managers and agents. Or, I should say, I want to hear about how a career should be managed in the initial phase of trying to get in and how to get in, what are the things to think about etc.

Obviously, writers can talk about this, too, but I find they'll usually get asked "craft" questions, which is complete BS, you can't learn to write (you get better by doing it yourself) and that stuff is useless.
                        Me too. Managers are always my favorite guests to hear on the podcast. Managers tend to be a little more creative than the agents or at least more into seeing the possibilities. They will often talk about the writing career from a big picture perspective, since they are entrepreneurs and looking to build something to pay off in a movie or a successful client, rather than just a one-off sale. And I love it when they explain what "voice" means. You hear everyone throw that term around and half the time I don't even think people know what that term fully means. And I think a lot of them secretly dreamed of being a filmmaker themselves before switching to this role. It's very interesting to hear their take on what it really takes and also questions on craft.

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                          Thank you!

Comment

I wish there were more podcasts out there interviewing managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                              I wish there were more podcasts out there interviewing managers.
                              The Scripts & Scribes archives has A LOT.

Comment

Working...
                              X