Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
CJ Walley

Post Script Revolution

There's not a great deal to say really. It's all pretty simple. I've created a website where writers can add all their scripts for free, complete with a bio about themselves. Anyone can visit the site and select from over thirty different options to filter content. When someone views a script they also get the writer's bio and all their other scripts. Plus the writer is notified via email who's downloaded their work.

There's some other features too. Members can follow writers to stay updated on their latest activity. Members can also bookmark scripts they like ready to come back and read at a later date. There's also a private messaging system. You don't have to upload your script pdf, you can just upload the details about the script if you prefer and then handle your own read requests.

All scripts are listed randomly. There's no ratings or reviews. The ethos is about discovery and not promotion. There's enough services out there trying to rate material. This is more like an archive. I've created what I as a screenwriter have been wanting to see for some time.

I fund it all myself and I've made it all myself. It doesn't cost me much to run. There's no real end game. No plans to make money from it. I just want to make a positive difference to the filmmaking world and I think this might be the best way for me to do it.

It's best suited to those scripts that have been put in a draw but still may appeal to the right person. It's also ideal for short scripts which are always in high demand.

Since I launched it a couple of weeks back, 83 people have signed up and around 140 scripts have been uploaded to the database. Obviously it's going to take some time to get established and for any success stories to come out of it, but I'm pretty proud of that. UPDATE: There's now over a 1200 scripts uploaded and over 608 people signed up.

DDP members are of course more than welcome to check it out, sign up, and add scripts. Although I do appreciate and respect most of you guys are looking for something a bit more focused on the established prodcos, studios, and industry members. The more the merrier though.

The link to the website itself is www.scriptrevolution.com

Last edited by CJ Walley : 04-11-2017 at 03:05 AM.
CJ Walley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
jsay

Default Re: So Iíve Created A Free Script Hosting Website; Script Revolution

Cool site... I like the spirit behind it.
jsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
ClintW3
Regular

Thumbs up Re: So Iíve Created A Free Script Hosting Website; Script Revolution

I just posted a couple of scripts.

The site is pretty groovy.
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
Southern_land

Very cool; book marked for later use

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 AM   #5
CJ Walley

Thanks guys, great to see some DDP members signing up.

Clint's done a great job of setting up his bio page script pages. You can see an example of one of them here; http://www.scriptrevolution.com/scri...r-us-from-evil
Old 08-17-2016, 02:52 AM   #6
ComicBent

I like it!

Very nice concept, and it looks good.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ó ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:08 AM   #7
CJ Walley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
I like it!

Very nice concept, and it looks good.
Thanks for that.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
Goliath
User

Great job! However, I feel that someone should create a script database with these certain criteria:

1. Any writer can create an account and upload their works there for FREE.

2. The writer can choose to let readers download their script for ANY AMOUNT they desire. Therefore, amateur writers will probably do well to start their scripts off as free downloads. However, if you get better/popular/have scripts in high demand, you can charge a nominal fee for each download. (Even $1 or $2 helps). I believe ebooks are selling for slightly more, why can't a decent, entertaining screenplay command such a fee too?

3. How do you get people to read your script? I think the answer is the other writers on the site. Maybe a requirement for membership is to download, read and feedback/rate an X number of scripts a month. (I'm guessing X can be 2, 3, 4?). Reading a couple or so scripts a month doesn't sound so bad.

4. There has to be script ratings. However, these should be split into at least these two categories:

Overall (Every rating since your very first uploaded draft); &
Latest Draft (Every rating for your latest script uploaded in say, the last 3 months).

This will not handicap you as much since the Latest Draft rating can be used as a barometer by new readers to take a fresh look.

5. There could be a feedback box/message/email system for readers to voice their opinions or thoughts on the script, so the writer can improve on it.

6. There can even be a donation option to the writer if possible. This platform can possibly be a different way to let semi-pro writers earn some pocket money. And it costs nothing.

7. If this site takes off and a particular script gets high praise and ratings, the big fish (production studios and what not) might take note. The creator of this site can then stand to benefit with deals/competition ads/etc. from various parties.

Thanks for reading and sorry for hijacking this thread, if I did. Again, it's all just a long shot. Setting up such a platform (especially where I live) won't come easy or cheap. But the benefits to writers are enormous. We can potentially bypass the middlemen (lower/mid tier competitions) and their fees to improve our craft and possibly more.
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
nativeson

Good job. Keep those *other people* on their toes
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:11 AM   #10
CJ Walley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
Thanks for reading and sorry for hijacking this thread, if I did.
No problem at all. I'm more than happy for people to put forward their views on what they'd ideally like to see out there. Script Revolution is my version of the ideal which I'm thankfully in the privileged position to make a reality. My view is that the subjective cannot be objectively rated and that the technology is there to match writers and readers on each side without the need to charge or filter either. I may be wrong. I just wish it was easier for individuals to implement their ideas and see if they work. That way we'd see a gradual evolution toward an ideal.

In a way that's kind of beginning to happen. Every month I seem to stumble upon a new platform for screenwriters. I connected the other day with someone starting a new social network for filmmakers. Hoping to form a relationship that links writers and their scripts back and forth. That's what's needed really. Break down the walls rather than build them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
Good job. Keep those *other people* on their toes
Hey! Nearly 1% of the time they are successful every time.