Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Earl S. Court
User

Default Couple of questions on querying production companies

So when I'm querying a manager I say that I'm a writer looking for representation. If I'm querying someone at a production company do I just say that I have a script I think they'll like / is a good fit for them and I'd love for them to read it?

Also, when people have lawyers send scripts to companies on their behalf - is that completely unsolicited? There doesn't have to be any prior contact between the writer and the company, the writer just pays the lawyer to send the script? I understand this is an expensive option and I'd only use it for a handful of companies at most.
Earl S. Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
AnconRanger

Default Re: Couple of questions on querying production companies

i don't know anything.

but it may help to focus on your story in the query, and don't worry about a lot of other stuff. want to put enough out there to gain interest, but not give away the farm. the below may be way too much, actually. but off the top of my head and this is not good-

Dear big shot movie person,

"I see dead people."

Title: THE SIXTH SENSE

When a psychiatrist struggles to help and heal a boy who believes he sees dead people, the boy ends up helping to heal him so he can move on...he finally realizes that he is actually, dead.

(perhaps a brief sentence or two about you, what you've published or whatever, you are actually a psychiatrist, etc...or just leave this part blank if isn't going to help pitch your story.)

I'd like to send for your consideration.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
your name

your contact info
AnconRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Earl S. Court
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnconRanger View Post
i don't know anything.

but it may help to focus on your story in the query, and don't worry about a lot of other stuff. want to put enough out there to gain interest, but not give away the farm. the below may be way too much, actually. but off the top of my head and this is not good-

Dear big shot movie person,

"I see dead people."

Title: THE SIXTH SENSE

When a psychiatrist struggles to help and heal a boy who believes he sees dead people, the boy ends up helping to heal him so he can move on...he finally realizes that he is actually, dead.

(perhaps a brief sentence or two about you, what you've published or whatever, you are actually a psychiatrist, etc...or just leave this part blank if isn't going to help pitch your story.)

I'd like to send for your consideration.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
your name

your contact info
Sorry, I probably should have said that when I query a manager I also include a logline and a couple of other brief sentences keeping it way to the point.

When I'm querying a prodco, I'm not looking for representation so I was just wondering how people phrase it - I'm guessing with some variation of "I think you'll like this, I'd love for you to read it."?
Old 07-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
AnconRanger

may not understand. i try to focus on the story in a pitch. what is the damn thing really about. i do not focus on the specific job of the person (agent, manager, producer, etc) i'm pitching to. the pitch is pretty much the same, but as said before, i don't know anything. i sort of try different things until find something that works the best, but i really try to hone in on the very first line in a query (something to grab a reader by the neck, hopefully) and then a compelling log line which will urge them to reply, 'yes, please send' or a variation. will add something about me in the query (i used to get shot out of circus cannons), etc, if i think it will help.

good luck!
AnconRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
catcon

My experience with submitting through a lawyer has been only when I've pitched a prodco directly and they've responded with "get your agent or entertainment attorney to submit". Then, it's not unsolicited.

To just have your attorney fire off blind/cold/thaw (all names for the same thing) queries to prodco is not useful or advisable. First of all, you admit it'll be expensive. Secondly, it bores the hell out of most lawyers, who want to use their training and expertise to either negotiate deals or litigate plagiarism lawsuits on your behalf.

My attorney's a good enough guy on this, but in the beginning he did want to read the script he was sending out (which he billed me for) and to even send the query cost me a tenth of his billing hour (which is still far more than a VPF query costs, and not much less than the entire 4-month run of the InkTip Preferred Newsletter, both of which are better options IMO).

Actually, at one point I did send queries that included "I can have such and such forwarded by my attorney", but I think I only got a .01 percent response rate on those. It may have been due to the fact my queries weren't as mature then, as they are now, but in any event it didn't nudge the prodcos toward the desired response.

But, if you have a great query, maybe you could offer up that.

Then, if your lawyer is "following-up" on your initial contact, they can say so in their email, which should get them past the initial round of filtering.

g'luck
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Earl S. Court
User

AnconRanger, catcon, many thanks for your replies, some things for me to consider in there. The lawyer route will definitely be a last resort and for a tiny number of prodcos if cold queries and VPF fail to deliver a result.