No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Managers -- What Is and Is Not An Ideal Relationship

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    Ha! Gotcha. Good for you for being that confident about your material. I honestly am not. I used to be, when sh!t was going well, but now that every script only has a few fans (some big ones, but not wide like my first time at bat) I'm way less confident. But good for you, I wish I was where you're at!
    For the record, I'm not one of those people who thinks that everything I write is genius! I make it a point to canvas my braintrust for brutally honest opinions. It's just that, on the list of people whose creative opinions I value, most reps rank somewhere near the bottom. There are exceptions, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
      For the record, I'm not one of those people who thinks that everything I write is genius! I make it a point to canvas my braintrust for brutally honest opinions. It's just that, on the list of people whose creative opinions I value, most reps rank somewhere near the bottom. There are exceptions, of course!
      Gotcha! Yup, my list is slim too. I hate everything. Problem is I don't trust MYSELF. LOL

Way easier for me to pinpoint what's not working in someone else's work... and how to, potentially, fix it.

The issue is probably just that you're a better writer than me. If I was that good I'd be confident too... Ha!
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

My pleasure, but IDK how experienced I am with these things. Truthfully, I feel like the longer I'm in this biz the less I know. Feels like it's a total crap shoot all the way around.

Good luck!

Hahaha, that's exactly how I feel. The more time I spend on it, the more I feel like there's more I need to know. But, you do seem to know a lot.

Actually, I don't have better intel on that. All I can say is that from an insidery perspective, my ex never (not once) looked at any of that. The mid-level agents and above seriously don't give a fukk about ANY script competitions. God's honest truth. How's that for a miserable stat? I believe all of that is for the "baby" managers and agents.

Swear to God, I once asked my ex if she read any Nicholl scripts and she's like "I've heard of it, but I don't really know what that is." That's how spoiled some of these reps are. That's how fukkin HARD it is to get signed at a BIG.... (not that you, specifically, don't now that. Speaking generally)

Do you know which competitions move the needle for managers?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
          Hahaha, that's exactly how I feel. The more time I spend on it, the more I feel like there's more I need to know. But, you do seem to know a lot.

Lol... nah, IDK sh!t. Don't listen to me. Ha!

Competitions? Not sure, probably depends on the manager. I'd guess winning Nicholl for many, beyond that, I really don't know. I don't really follow the competition arena.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post

Adam Kolbrenner mentioned using The Black List and getting in the top 10 at least of Nicholl or Austin. i would image that The Page and Final Draft are well respected, but if you place as a quarterfinal he's not looking at your script.

he also said that he doesn't look for "the diamond in the rough" anymore. and that the two most important things to him for a new writer is great writing and a great voice.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I guess I can add that: my buddy was top 10 in Page and no one cared. He's still repless.

Comment

I guess I can add that: my buddy was top 10 in Page and no one cared. He's still repless.
                I will second that. I would be shocked if 1 out of 500 people in this industry had ever even heard of the Page contest.

Comment

I've got a friend who was one of the winners of the ScreenCraft fellowship and I was pretty shocked how much they did for him. It seemed like he went on a full water bottle tour of managers (including some of the bigger shops) and ended up signing with someone. He also met with and formed relationships with execs from some prodcos too. The contest seemed to run point on the whole thing, getting his script in front of people, setting up the meetings, etc.

Just my view from the outside, of course, but I've been recommending that contest (for those looking to go that route) since seeing the experience my buddy had.

Comment

I think Trackingb and Tracking-Board are worth checking out. Their judges are legit managers and agents, and lots of people do get signed. Access to reps is their sole promise, and they live up to it. I got my manager after I was a finalist in the pilot competition (though the story's a little more complicated, as is my history up to that point-- still, getting my rep is directly related to being a finalist!)

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                      I will second that. I would be shocked if 1 out of 500 people in this industry had ever even heard of the Page contest.
                      Yup, agreed. I can guarantee you (whomever) that my ex has never heard of "Page." (let that sink in... NEVER HEARD OF IT!).

These contests are pitched as "EVERYONE IN TOWN WILL READ YOU IF YOU WIN AND WILL SCRAMBLE TO SIGN YOU!!! Sign up NOW!" Not true. Again, with Nicholl she was kinda like "Yeah, sorta heard of it, don't really know what it is tho."

What works best IMO: Referrals!

Good luck to us all, this town is hell!

Comment

DLev24 & docgonzo: Cool!

Not saying it can't work, it obviously can, I'd just recommend also hitting the streets and knocking on doors, so to speak. Do BOTH IMO.

Comment

BTW - docgonzo, I lost the thread of where you were talking about your new project, maybe it was here. But. Question: Is this new project based on IP or wholly original?

I'm sure you saw those lists of IP they sent out. Curious if this story is derived from one of those IPs. In general, I thought it was a pretty useful tool to dig into if we're stuck on ideas for new material. I appreciate them putting those deals together and looking for ways to hook us up with virgin material. Pretty smart IMO.

Thanks!

Comment

Lol... nah, IDK sh!t. Don't listen to me. Ha!

Competitions? Not sure, probably depends on the manager. I'd guess winning Nicholl for many, beyond that, I really don't know. I don't really follow the competition arena.

Good luck!

It must be the Gucci glasses in your avatar picture. It gives you a certain air that you've arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                              Adam Kolbrenner mentioned using The Black List and getting in the top 10 at least of Nicholl or Austin. i would image that The Page and Final Draft are well respected, but if you place as a quarterfinal he's not looking at your script.

he also said that he doesn't look for "the diamond in the rough" anymore. and that the two most important things to him for a new writer is great writing and a great voice.

Thanks FinalAct.

LOL, yeah, no one's looking for quarter final scripts... a writer should just pretend they don't have those and just mention their finalist scripts. Too bad most of those deadlines have passed and there isn't something that equivalent in the October 2019 to January 2020 time period when I think I'll probably have a vetted script. Those top contests are a great boost for your confidence, though, even if you don't win it. They at least give you a measure of where you are.

The only thing I really care about is what vehicle will get the attention of the superstar managers.

Comment

Tracking Board is good, IMO. They actively push their finalists. I had the least commercial historical thing possible that was a finalist and a year later a producer contacted me about it. Plus those judges are at least going to read your logline. You've got Boxerbaum and guys that are heavy in the spec market who pay attention to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X