No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The disappearance of punctuation.

Hi all,
    I hope this is in the right forum topic.

I am confused by this new thing about how punctuation offends the younger generation. Also, as new screenwriters of the younger gen come along, if they are cancelling punctuation, what happens to scripts? Will there be no punctuation in the future? Will there be only run on sentences? (which in my school days would get me an F real quick)
    And speaking of school, what will they teach kids in the future if they cancel punctuation?

I think right now it is just limited to offending young peeps on text messages. I was floored when someone I sent a text to told me that periods in sentences are offensive and insulting and how dare I do that.
    I even saw that Chuck Lorre recently wrote on his blurb he writes at the end of his tv shows about the disappearing question mark.

What is happening in the world when a simple thing like punctuation offends and insults people now?
    (sorry if my periods and question marks offends anyone)

... Huh?

No offense, but this post gives some serious "Old Man Yells at Clouds" vibes.

Comment

I agree with Darthclaw. All writing should follow the basic principles of punctuation. Notice I said "principles," not "rules," because punctuation is mostly (almost entirely) based on sound reasons, not on arbitrary rules.

I am unaware of what is actually taught in schools these days, but I know that it cannot be anything as rigorous as what we had in school (and even later in college, too).

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Punctuation is still taught in school. Not to worry.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. If someone is offended, why would you care? My daughter is 18 and she uses, "ur," "ikr," and other shorthands. Not worried that we'll see that in any kind of textbook, novels, news, or screenplays.

I did read an annual black list script recently that didn't have periods at the end of sentences. It was still a fine read, but I did think about it as I read, which means that lack of punctuation was minimally distracting. I didn't remember the writer, which was probably the reason for doing it.
          "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            I wouldn't worry about it. If someone is offended, why would you care? My daughter is 18 and she uses, "ur," "ikr," and other shorthands. Not worried that we'll see that in any kind of textbook, novels, news, or screenplays.

I did read an annual black list script recently that didn't have periods at the end of sentences. It was still a fine read, but I did think about it as I read, which means that lack of punctuation was minimally distracting. I didn't remember the writer, which was probably the reason for doing it.
            Hi finalact, which script was it, out of curiosity? I know Nightcrawler took some liberties with what's considered standard screenplay formatting, and I personally loved it.

Comment

Working...
            X