Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post

The University of New Hampshire’s acronym is “UNH” (all capital letters). You'll have to do better than that for some passive-aggressive smackdown directed at me.
    Sorry you saw it as a smackdown. It wasn't intended as one. I honestly don't make any "N" sound in uh-uh, and can't think of anyone who does.

Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post
    Consult a linguistics expert.
    Uh-uh.
    ==========

Comment

Originally posted by Hasil Adkins View Post

Sorry you saw it as a smackdown. It wasn't intended as one. I honestly don't make any "N" sound in uh-uh, and can't think of anyone who does.

Uh-uh.
      Sorry, mate. May I extend my apologies to you. We are writers, and it read like a cut (to me).

This has been a more lively debate than I expected over what I believed to be an inconsequential matter. As previously mentioned, I use what I like to use based on what I've read other (published) authors use in their books.

The original post was not concerned with “Uh-uh,” “Unh-unh,” “Nuh-unh,” or any other combination of letters to put in written form the caveman grunts indicating “yes” or “no.”

The original question posed was whether anyone believed “Nnn-nnn” could ever catch on. It was something a transcriptionist guessed at and came up with for closed-captioning. I know I won't use that.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

For the sake of research, the same article link about the topic:

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/...77/117331.html

Comment

Surprised no one has reveled in the joy of typing, "Onomatopoeia."

The Fish Crow says, "Unh, uh": https://youtu.be/tGAH31tBFvs. (starts at 0.05 secs)

Comment

Thanks! Still hear that “n” sound in there, though. TEHO. ?

Comment

Working...
            X