Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple formatting questions...

hey all. I am starting a new screenplay and, amazingly, new formatting questions hit me that I haven't thought of before. you truly never cease to learn...

1) Re: POV... what is more effective? "POV Anthony: he sees the woman enter the building" or "Anthony watches the woman as she enters the building" ?

2) How do you format a sequence that is mostly composed of shots, rather than scenes? I don't want to do "Ext. Air Traffic Control- DAY" if all I am doing is showing an Air Traffic Control tower.

3) How would you format a chase sequence in which a character barrels through, say, 5-6 different locations without really focusing on any? The nature of the sequence is kinetic, and again I don't want to have scene headings.

4) if you flashback for, say, 20 pages, do you put the year of the flashback in each scene heading for the sake of clarity? or does that confuse even more?

5) do you write FLASHBACK for the flashbacks? or just dissolve (or cut) to the flashback with the date in the slug line and leave it at that?

Thank you !

TP

1. Second reads better.
    2 and 3. I'd use mini slugs.
    4. I'd put the year in each scene heading.
    5. Probably not a bad idea to use a flashback transition instead of just putting in slug line.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. mini slugs is 101% the way to go, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. how does one format them in FD? as in, what category do they fall under (Action, General etc.) ?

Comment

If I may, you can add them as a line of ACTION and just put in all CAPS. Some might add them as a SCENE HEADING and FD will note them as such especially with imports due to the all caps. But from what I recall, I think labeling them as a ACTION should work fine. (If you add a mini Slugline as a SCENE HEADING then it gets counted by FD as a new scene in the Navigator, which isn't really accurate.)

The First AD can/could later decide when boarding the movie and laying all out for the shoot how they personally might like to label mini slug for organizational purposes. But since they are really part of a/the scene, and not a whole new scene, then probably as Action lines with CAPS is "best." General can work but as soon as you label a mini Slugline as General you lose the space above it, which doesn't work as well.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
          If I may, you can add them as a line of ACTION and just put in all CAPS. Some might add them as a SCENE HEADING and FD will note them as such especially with imports due to the all caps. But from what I recall, I think labeling them as a ACTION should work fine. (If you add a mini Slugline as a SCENE HEADING then it gets counted by FD as a new scene in the Navigator, which isn't really accurate.)
          I just use the SHOT element for mini slugs, is that wrong? At least in Trelby, Fade In and WriterSolo they don't count as scene headings. Can't speak for Final Draft though.
          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post

I just use the SHOT element for mini slugs, is that wrong? At least in Trelby, Fade In and WriterSolo they don't count as scene headings. Can't speak for Final Draft though.
            It should work just as well especially in terms for a reader since all they will see is a mini slug. FD does offer that and I should have noted that as an option as well, but I was typing a bit too quickly.
            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 11-14-2022, 02:01 PM.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Do mini slugs have to follow 'regular' slugs? or can one just jump from mini slug to mini slug without ?

Version 1:

INT. HOTEL- DAY xxxxx
              HALLWAY xxxx
              ROOM 205 xxxx

But that implies that we are in the same location.

What if you want to show snippets of action that are not geographically connected, but also want to give the sequence rhythm and pace without resorting to long slug lines?

e.g.

Version 2:

NYC AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL xxxx
              PERUVIAN MOUNTAIN FACE xxxx
              INSIDE THE BOEING COCKPIT xxxx
              JOHNNY'S LIVING ROOM xxxx

Comment

From what I've seen, from doing production and my own personal writing, it would and could depend on the location, but in most cases I think one should go...

INT. HOTEL - LOBBY - DAY

INT. HOTEL - HALLWAY - DAY

INT. HOTEL - ROOM 205 - DAY

And so on. If you are imagining a steadicam shot which tracks with the person all in one shot for like 10 minutes, then throw in mini sluglines for the different parts of the hotel they walk through or enter. Mainly just keep it clear for the reader, of course.

Then for your example, I'd probably go with an actual "official" looking/full on slugline for each to start.

Then if you need to do "fast cutting" between the locations as different things take place at the same time, then throw in INTERCUT at the top of a group shots/scenes then use short mini sluglines to keep it an easy read from there on out. So maybe something like:

INT. NEW YORK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - DAY

EXT. PERUVIAN MOUNTAIN FACE - DAY

INT. BOEING AIRPLANE COCKPIT - DAY

To start it all off then go....

INTERCUT:

AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL

Whatever action & dialogue.

MOUNTAIN FACE

Person hikes and talks on phone.

COCKPIT

Pilot and co-pilot reassure a flight attendant.

END INTERCUT:

I can't think of any scripts right at the moment since I'm working on other stuff, but if I do will drop back in with some examples to suggest you look at. I'm sure some others will jump in with better suggestions, but maybe the above could work for you or at least get you started.

But if you are cutting slowly between locations and you stay in each scene for say a page or more then go with regular sluglines. Use the above for pacing sake to emphasize the tension & drama of the moment on paper.
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thank you Will. You're a prince.

Have you seen ESTABLISHING a lot? it's kind of a weird thing I've noticed in a couple of scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                    Thank you Will. You're a prince.

Have you seen ESTABLISHING a lot? it's kind of a weird thing I've noticed in a couple of scripts.
                    It is used some. Not tons from what I have seen over the years. But it is.

Personally, I never use it, but it's really up to the writer. I just don't like to add anything in, if at all possible, to remind them they are reading a script. I want it to play like a movie in their head with as few "distractions" or "reminders" as possible as they read it.
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                    X