Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much action/description in a scene?

Huh? No, that's exactly what the A.D. does. He breaks down the script with notes for each department detailing special requirements for the day. The A.D. is responsible for making sure every department has what they need on the day.

"Dailies" are just a print or video copy of selected takes from a previous day of shooting.

Comment

Okay.

But at what point does the actual breakdown occur with regard to the overall production? In order to plan and budget a movie, it would seem to me that the head of each department would need to concur with the director, in order to commit actual details and changes to paper. I'm guessing this is what "department heads" are for.

So with regard to Jon's question, I think this is where those creative changes would be made -- especially with regard to stuntwork, cinematography and things that would actually change the script. I don't doubt that that they sometimes "wing it," but I'm sure this would have too many risks without proper planning, or "breaking down," far in advance. In other words this the stage where a "fight scene" might turn into an "explosion."
      "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Everyone gets a script. Department heads go on a technical scout with director and A.D. Everyone talks through requirements at location. Each night, A.D. publishes a breakdown sheet with daily requirements based on everyone's needs. It's really just a reminder for everyone, so they know what's coming up.

The script isn't necessarily updated to reflect all these changes, though everyone has their own system for marking up a script.

In Eastern Promises, when they decided on ending the fight with plunging a knife into an eyeball that has implications for props and makeup, but the script wasn't necessarily rewritten to reflect the change. Usually, there's too much going on -- changes to script are pencilled in.

None of this has anything to do with winging it -- though problems occur all the time that require you to figure out a solution on the spot.
        Last edited by altoption; 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM. Reason: Added note about winging it.

Comment

Originally posted by altoption View Post
          Usually, there's too much going on -- changes to script are pencilled in.
          Okay, that's what I was looking for; the changes are generally "penciled in." That still doesn't explain how a significant change can be made in accordance with the budget, but I guess that's not my problem.

By the way, here's the definition of "breakdown" I was using:

"The process of reading through a script and pulling our critical information needed by each department to do their job. For example, the property master breaks down all the needed props; a costume designer counts the number of changes per character."

That's in my HOLLYWOOD 101. Then I guess there's the definition you were using for the AD's daily breakdown sheet (what I erroneously referred to as "dailies"). And there is also the "breakdown" that is submitted to agents and managers for casting.

Sorry about my misuse of terms, and thanks for the info....
          "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Originally posted by altoption View Post
            Everyone gets a script. Department heads go on a technical scout with director and A.D. Everyone talks through requirements at location. Each night, A.D. publishes a breakdown sheet with daily requirements based on everyone's needs. It's really just a reminder for everyone, so they know what's coming up.

The script isn't necessarily updated to reflect all these changes, though everyone has their own system for marking up a script.

In Eastern Promises, when they decided on ending the fight with plunging a knife into an eyeball that has implications for props and makeup, but the script wasn't necessarily rewritten to reflect the change. Usually, there's too much going on -- changes to script are pencilled in.

None of this has anything to do with winging it -- though problems occur all the time that require you to figure out a solution on the spot.
            Thanks R.D. and Altopian. Your discussion reveals much about the process.

I think this scene is an example of where the screenwriter could have expanded the action in his original script. Although it's a fine script, it seems the script would have read even better if he had written the scene with more detail.

But if page space is a problem, it's good to know that professionals can improve and enhance the action when and if it the screenplay is produced.

All this is good to know -- and use.

Comment

Working...
            X