No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trottier's bible still bibical?

Originally posted by R.D. Wright View Post
    Of course they have. And I probably wasted a whole year worrying about all that sh1t the gurus are telling us.

But let's be real about the rules. The first draft of my first script was modeled after a Hitchcock script I downloaded -- REAR WINDOW. They don't come much better than that. The problem was, I had paragraphs that ran ten or twelve lines, and "we see" coming out the wazoo. When the thing didn't place in a contest I entered, I bought a book, which happened to be David Trottier's. I rewrote the script, and I placed in the Top 10% in the Austin Film Festival. This minor achievement also got me a few reads, whereas before I got zilch.

So yes, a little education helped in my case. Now too much education, that's another thing...

And with regard to the "intelligence, experience and talent of those reading it," I wouldn't count on that at all. Is it not the lack thereof, that we writers must at least consider?
    No they don't come much better than Rear Window. So is it in fact the intelligence, experience and talent of those reading it? Not that I'm saying those reading for the Austin or whatever for $30 a time aren't intelligent, experienced or talented. I'm sure they're top chaps.
    http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by English Dave View Post
      No they don't come much better that Rear Window. So is it in fact the intelligence, experience and talent of those reading it? Not that I'm saying those reading for the Austin or whatever for $30 a time aren't intelligent, experienced or talented. I'm sure they're top chaps.
      Thanks. I knew you would. Yep, I just insulted everyone who has ever read a script of mine.

What I meant was that we don't have control over who reads the script. So we must write in such a way that is comprehensible whether the reader has those qualities or not. And yes, Austin is one of the most respected film festivals around. Now there may be a better way to break through the ice than entering contests...

Oh, that's right: "There is writing what is good and readable."

That's a bit general, though, isn't it? I mean, doesn't subjectivity come into play when calling something "good?"
      "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

That's a bit general, though, isn't it? I mean, doesn't subjectivity come into play when calling something "good?"
        Absolutely. I just blogged on it. There is a big difference between format and talent. You can teach format.You can't teach talent. Yes there are books out there teaching you how to format a screenplay, and they are great. Up to a point.

They are not gospel and are usualy written by people who haven't sold much. A good starting point so you don't look too dumb. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by English Dave View Post
          Absolutely. I just blogged on it. There is a big difference between format and talent. You can teach format.You can't teach talent. Yes there are books out there teaching you how to format a screenplay, and they are great. Up to a point.

They are not gospel and are usualy written by people who haven't sold much. A good starting point so you don't look too dumb. That is all.
          Precisely.

Hey, weren't we arguing a minute ago?

I don't know, I still haven't heard your comment on Ralphy's Rule #2. I thought that one was brilliant, too.

Rule #3 is way off, though. I think he just has a "pooey" obsession.

"THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Precisely.

Hey, weren't we arguing a minute ago?

I don't know, I still haven't heard your comment on Ralphy's Rule #2. I thought that one was brilliant, too.

Rule #3 is way off, though. I think he just has a "pooey" obsession.

Could have been. I have a short attention span

Ralphy's rule 2 is actually the dumb silence a writer feigns when an exec starts quoting the last guru they heard about at a Scientology meeting

Comment

true - there are no rules, only guidelines to steer you in the right direction.

i do believe trottier's bible is revised every few years to keep us updated with the newer guidelines and trends. i have the 3rd edition.

Comment

Working...
              X