Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning with a clip of a television broadcast

(First off, it is a fictional, nonexistent TV show, so there shouldn't any licensing entanglements.)

So, my question is: Does this require sluglines?

Edit: Oops, I think I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.

Re: Beginning with a clip of a television broadcast

Originally posted by alitel View Post
    (First off, it is a fictional, nonexistent TV show, so there shouldn't any licensing entanglements.)

So, my question is: Does this require sluglines?

Edit: Oops, I think I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.
    I dunno, seems like the right forum to me.

Whether you include scene captions/sluglines in the tele-show footage would probably depend on how you're presenting it. If you want it to fill the screen as per normal then you'd probably want to slug it; if you're presenting it as something that one or more of your characters are watching on a television, then a more generalized description would probably serve.

If you do the former you'll have to identify what the footage is by some means, otherwise the audience will take it as being part of your movie, eh?

FADE IN:

INT BEACHFRONT APARTMENT, SANTA MONICA - NIGHT (FICTIONAL TV SHOW FOOTAGE)

or some such. This dosn't help your audience but it does tell the director how the footage should look, that is, like a TV show.

Comment

Well if it's fictional and nonexistent, you'll need to shoot the footage when the movie gets made. In that case, it probably makes life easier for everyone if you include sluglines.

Comment

Originally posted by grant View Post
        Well if it's fictional and nonexistent, you'll need to shoot the footage when the movie gets made. In that case, it probably makes life easier for everyone if you include sluglines.
        Indeed, however, use of the word "clip" indicates the member isn't talking about extensive footage as would be represented in more than a page of script and is, rather, considering something much less than that and hence a more generalized description might serve.

It's a question that's difficult to address because we don't know the extent of the "clip" nor do we know if it's being included as something the picture's character's are watching on a television or if it's to be a full screen presentation. We'd need some clarification on these points to provide a robust answer.

Comment

Originally posted by FADE IN View Post
          Indeed, however, use of the word "clip" indicates the member isn't talking about extensive footage as would be represented in more than a page of script and is, rather, considering something much less than that and hence a more generalized description might serve.

It's a question that's difficult to address because we don't know the extent of the "clip" nor do we know if it's being included as something the picture's character's are watching on a television or if it's to be a full screen presentation. We'd need some clarification on these points to provide a robust answer.
          It's intended to be a full screen; it is a page or so, fleeting glimpse of a title sequence for the TV show - a Charlie Rose-esque talk show - and some dialogue. I guess given that in the case it is actually filmed, I should include sluglines for the show itself.

Comment

Originally posted by alitel View Post
            It's intended to be a full screen; it is a page or so, fleeting glimpse of a title sequence for the TV show - a Charlie Rose-esque talk show - and some dialogue. I guess given that in the case it is actually filmed, I should include sluglines for the show itself.
            I don't think this is going to work very well as a way to open a feature ... because the audience is expecting to see a feature, not a television show and hence it'll be confusing. You might consider starting with an interior in which there's a television set that's ON and pushing in on it immediately and then cutting to its footage. This way, you've used three or four seconds of screen time (during which you might include the show's title sequence) to estabish what's going on and your audience knows what it's seeing.

If the show is indeed Charley Rose-esque you'd not need any slugs because a show like that is simply shot in one continuous run with two or three cameras and then segments of footage from each camera are edited together to give a pleasing sequence of images, first one speaker, then the other, then the both of them, or whatever. You can describe the show's title sequence (assuming you don't do this at the outset) and then just write its dialogue.

Comment

Working...
            X