Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scene Headings

Cool then! Thanks for rolling with me as I pushed the point. I just had visions of some lowly reader, fresh from Film School and Trottier imprinted on his brain, tossing the script after 2 pages because he believes in the "rules".
    If your concerned, post some stuff up in the script pages. It doesn't necessarily have to be from the screenplay your working on.

You can even mention it's for a critique of your super cool new way of writing action scenes or whatever.

If what you're doing is completely bonkers somebody will let you know.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

It's not my pages I'm concerned about, just how a lowly studio reader (not a prod or exec) would react. That if they saw a hopeful script that opened like Brian's then they'd stop reading, thinking it's another deluded wannabe and a waste of their time. Like I said, I have no problem dismissing the myths of camera angles, songs and "we see" - just that many scripts hook the reader before these kick in whilst the first thing in a script is the slug line and could stop the reader before they've started reading the script.

I accept what the guys here have been saying, they know best. I'm just worried that the person who reads your script doesn't, that they incorrectly think you must follow the myths because that's what screenwriting classes told them and so the don't pass your hot script to their boss.

Eg: a guy on TriggerStreet claims to have been a reader for competitions and studios and is a slave to the myths of screenwriting. (I don't go there anymore). He's always quoting Nicholl about how to format, not to include camera angles etc, and some pro who concurs. Sure, his experience could be BS but this is the type of Film School grad-wannabe-writer who tries to get in the studios by being a reader for them and if clowns like this are vetting scripts then.......

And yeah, I'll be posting excerpts soon

Comment

From the Robotard8000 (BDZ) classic Balls Out:

Code:
        FADE THE F*** IN:

A brief, painful MONTAGE establishing THE COD:

CAPE mother****ing COD.
        That screenplay made the Black List.

Don't worry about the rules so much.

If something doesn't work you can always rewrite it.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
          This.

As you embrace this technique you will find it much easier to keep a sense of movement in your scenes.

Next level is...

IN THE HALLWAY -

LITTLE KID fvcks with everything as he walks. Jiggles the vase, jars the paintings, jiggers the plugs in the sockets. His mother steps out looking for him so Little Kid...

DUCKS INTO THE BATHROOM -

Where he finds his pops taking a dump. Pops "shh"s him. Winks.
          This - and the entire thread - has been a revelation and I've bene playing aroudn with it. It saves on space but mainly keeps the momentum flowing. Just to be sure I've got it right, is the following okay?

JENNIFER'S BEDROOM
          Jeny eyes the clock - it's almost eleven. She tosses the magazine. Grabs her jacket.

AND STRIDES UP TO THE CLUB*

BOUNCER
          First set's over.

And

SCOTT'S BEDROOM - DAY
          Scott slots a CD into his hi-fi and presses play - air guitar at the ready.

AND IN THE THOMAS LIVING ROOM
          The music booms as MUM sets the table.

* is a scene heading

Basically, as you can see, I've been using doing away with INT and EXT and also adding words to scene headings to maintain momentum as in:

LIVING ROOM

IN THE LIVING ROOM

MEANWHILE IN THE LIVING ROOM

OUTSIDE THE BAR

STEPS INTO THE CROWDED BAR

Etc.

Comment

It saves on space but mainly keeps the momentum flowing.
            Music to my ears.

Rule #1: Write for the reader

Rule #2: Keep them reading

Rule #3: Remember Rules #1 & 2

Comment

Sundown,

the transitions have to be natural. I didn't understand going from her bedroom to the club.

When I use action slugs it's usually because A) it keeps the scene moving and B) it saves space.

I usually use traditional slugs to first EST locations/camera-placement before using action slugs unless the proceeding action slug is intuitive.

Meaning, if I'm doing two cars in combat I might do...

EXT. BLACK CAR -

Jeff decides to ram FRANK'S SEDAN off the road.

INT. FRANK'S SEDAN -

Frank is too busy staring at himself in the rearview to notice...

THE BLACK CAR - veering towards him...

FRANK'S SEDAN - shakes violently. But Frank doesn't bother looking to see why. He steadies the wheel without looking away from the rearview.

THE BLACK CAR - arcs away, preparing for another nice hard ramming.

okay, that sucked but you get that I EST'd the cars first.

If you're doing something where the locations are more intuitive (like the earlier Kid in the hallway examp) then I might not bother EST'ing the following locations. Your audience instantly understands that the bathroom is down the hall.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                The transitions have to be natural. I didn't understand going from her bedroom to the club.
                I think those are two separate examples from different scenes.

Might be wrong, but that's how it came across to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                  I think those are two separate examples from different scenes.

Might be wrong, but that's how it came across to me.
                  Ahh, missed that.

Sorry, Sundown.

Comment

Working...
                  X