X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scene Headings

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    With who? 1st ADs?
    If that's where it's going, why not do it now instead of later?

It still has to be done, why *not* do it now?

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Because mini slugs can be a tool that makes for a better read.

By your logic, I assume you put scene numbers in spec scripts?

Comment

Agreed.

There are several layers of people who don't give a FVCK about anything except the read...including actors and directors. It makes no sense to use production slugs if they're less effective than minis. That's why so many writers use them.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
          If that's where it's going, why not do it now instead of later?

It still has to be done, why *not* do it now?

- Bill
          Because sometimes it interrupts the flow of the read.

I never use INT or EXT in a script. Haven't in 7 years. I try to make the whole thing read smoothly to make it inviting and seductive to read.
          Now, clarity is crucial. So I do set the scenes. But I try to make that stuff as noninvasive to the reader as possible.
          And then, if the thing moves into production, I ask either the ADs to add the formal slugs (which I then review, of course).

Comment

Sure, you can do mini slug lines or take them out all together... it's all a matter of choice. In my experience, I find it easy to follow what's going on if I know the place where a scene is set. It does come down to a matter of style. A sale isn't going to be made or not based on sluglines. BUT, a muddled script that lacks focus (like some of the ones I've read without sluglines) isn't going to move very far up the ladder.

And its not so much about impressing 1st ADs as it is the frontline of who is going to be reading your script first: exec and agent assistants, studio readers. Those are the folks you need to get through.

Comment

Except that wasn't about mini slugs, it was about whether you should care about using DAY or NIGHT in a full slugline.

But I *do* care about the 1st AD for 2 reasons:

1) Though this is my unique situation, probably more than half of my sales and assignments come from the production side. So if I have my choice between writing a script that looks like a script to the First AD or the same *content* in something that looks strange and non-script-like to the First Ad, I go with the method that gets my script passed to their best connection.

2) It's eventually going to get to the First AD and be broken down and filmed. The purpose of a screenplay is to become a movie (or get you a job writing one). If I'm looking to compete in an Olympic Marathon, I don't show them how well I sprint. Even if that might impress them. Because if I get picked, sprinting doesn't matter - endurance does. So I also don't train by sprinting - since that doesn't prepare me. Hey, a guy that runs fast *looks great*... but that doesn't matter. Makes no sense to me to write something one way, when in the end it *must* be written in another way. I'm just wasting my own time. And since the *content* is what matters, might as well not try to be a contrarian and do it the way they (eventually) don't want it if it also serves no real purpose.

I use mini-slugs all the time, and I also pop them as "shots" in MM so that if the First AD uses MM Schedule they automatically get assigned #s and get broken out as sub-scenes. That takes me all of a second.

And the First ADs love me.

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                Except that wasn't about mini slugs, it was about whether you should care about using DAY or NIGHT in a full slugline.
                To get pedantic, actually it was about mini slugs vs full sluglines (which would include time of day).

But to the more important point:

Makes no sense to me to write something one way, when in the end it *must* be written in another way. I'm just wasting my own time. And since the *content* is what matters, might as well not try to be a contrarian and do it the way they (eventually) don't want it if it also serves no real purpose.
                But... you use mini slugs, and that's what this is about. You're writing in a way that has to be changed to sluglines for a production draft.

So I guess I don't understand what you're arguing against...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Koppelman View Post

I never use INT or EXT in a script. Haven't in 7 years. I try to make the whole thing read smoothly to make it inviting and seductive to read.
                  Now, clarity is crucial. So I do set the scenes. But I try to make that stuff as noninvasive to the reader as possible.
                  And then, if the thing moves into production, I ask either the ADs to add the formal slugs (which I then review, of course).
                  Wow. No INT or EXT at all? Not even a new scene slug?
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                    Wow. No INT or EXT at all? Not even a new scene slug?

Here's how much "INT" and "EXT" don't matter...

I've been reading one of Brian's scripts and not until this post had I even noticed he wasn't using them.

Seriously. Had not even noticed.

And it actually does give an easy flow to the script.

A lot of you guys have "instincts." You inherently know what would read best. If it's clear, if you're sure someone will understand it, write it that way...even if it's unconventional.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Koppelman View Post

Yeah, BK. I'm confused. Would you be so kind as to elaborate and/or give an example of what you mean? Not that us mere mortals could get away with it...
                      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                        Not that us mere mortals could get away with it...
                        My thoughts on that trope.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                          Here's how much "INT" and "EXT" don't matter...

I've been reading one of Brian's scripts and not until this post had I even noticed he wasn't using them.

Seriously. Had not even noticed.

And it actually does give an easy flow to the script.

A lot of you guys have "instincts." You inherently know what would read best. If it's clear, if you're sure someone will understand it, write it that way...even if it's unconventional.
                          I understand. The clarity thing though ... well, for example, here's slug from one of mine where I think it could be unclear without the EXT:

EXT. COBBLE HILL BROWNSTONE – MOMENTS LATER

Without the EXT it may be unclear. Or - maybe not.
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

OUTSIDE COBBLE HILL BROWNSTONE - MOMENTS LATER

Comment

Oh, I get it. If I did that I would no longer be mortal and I could write however I pleased.

Ah, I see.
                              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Sadly, I can not tell if you are kidding.

To be clear: there are not different formatting rules for Brian Koppelman and you.

Comment

Working...
                                X