No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scene Headings

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Sadly, I can not tell if you are kidding.

To be clear: there are not different formatting rules for Brian Koppelman and you.
    Even when we send our scripts in to readers and agents? I know there's no need to follow the perceived rules of screenwriting but with omitting EXT and INT is there a risk they think you can't format and toss the script before finding out you write awesome?

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
    The lesson here is, if it comes naturally to you, and it's clear, do it. If you're having trouble with it, don't do it. No one cares. NO ONE CARES. No one even notices as long as it's done well.
    Again, my only concern is that as it's on the first page, they will care as they think you're another muppet. I am fine with using "we see" and all other mythical transgressions but this one makes me nervous.
    Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 01-28-2012, 04:56 AM.
    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Someone in this thread said they're going to start bolding slug lines like a particular pro. What's the deal/significance of bolded slugs?
        Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 01-28-2012, 07:30 AM.
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Nothing. They like the way it looks more. They hope that it'll increase the odds that an exec notices the slug but it probably won't. Most writers have their own style quirks that they put into a script. Some don't use slugs at all, some connect action descrip to mini-slugs so that the action flows (me), just do your thing and make sure it's clear, some use numbers in place of slugs.

Or do the traditional sh!t if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
            Even when we send our scripts in to readers and agents? I know there's no need to follow the perceived rules of screenwriting but with omitting EXT and INT is there a risk they think you can't format and toss the script before finding out you write awesome?
            I read scripts for 12 years for William Morris.

I was Jim Wiatt's reader for 6 years.

I did not care about formatting. As long as you're in control of your story and characters and your voice is strong, formatting doesn't matter.

That being said, e.e. cummings spent a long time writing sonnets before he wrote free verse.

Comment

Someone in this thread said they're going to start bolding slug lines like a particular pro. What's the deal/significance of bolded slugs?
              IIRC, a/some contest style-guides now call for/recommend bolded sluglines. The Page contest, perhaps.

I've only read about 200 scripts, so maybe my occipital lobe will do better after I read a lot more, but in a script without scene numbers, I find it easier to recognize/see/grab sluglines if they are bolded - especially if there's only 1 blank line before the slugline and/or if the writer has used ALL-CAP call-outs and mini-slugs.
              Last edited by Manchester; 01-28-2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Jeff/JC,

Sounds awesome and liberating. But at the risk of labouring the point, will you even be given the chance to impress if they see "creative" slugs? You know, in that "I've got 100 scripts to read this weekend and I bet 99 are turd so any chance I get to give up I'll take it" way?

And what about the lowly readers & assistants? I hear they're either wannabe writers too or just out of film school and if so, maybe they're brainwashed by these rules (as most of us were before you guys showed the light) and will see a non conforming script as not worth reading?
                M.A.G.A.

Comment

And what about the lowly readers & assistants?
                  I'll just quote myself to answer your question:

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
                  I read scripts for 12 years for William Morris.

As long as you're in control of your story and characters and your voice is strong, formatting doesn't matter.

Comment

That is not a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      That is not a concern.
                      Not even on the opening pages?
                      M.A.G.A.

Comment

Not even on opening pages.

Comment

...sed the papa bear to the baby bear.

Comment

Formatting doesn't matter. Great writing matters. People who teach formatting aren't great writers.

Comment

And to continue the point -- people who criticize your formatting aren't worth listening to.

If the note is anything more than, "Proofread your script," or, "I bumped up against your unusual formatting," then you can disregard it. Page notes of "You used INT. when it should've been INT./EXT. and you single space before your sluglines instead of double space" are worthless and inconsequential and the province of readers who don't know how to discuss story and character.

Comment

Cool then! Thanks for rolling with me as I pushed the point. I just had visions of some lowly reader, fresh from Film School and Trottier imprinted on his brain, tossing the script after 2 pages because he believes in the "rules".

Thanks again.
                                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                                X