No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much is too much

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    I have it on DVD - was very disappointed. Sounded like a violent, twisted film but came across as a tepid play. And John Hurt was embarrassing.
    I know what you mean. The problem I think I had was I was expecting something similar to Sexy Beast. And 44 Inch Chest moved much slower.

But it's worth it just for Ray Winstone. He really is ridiculously amazing.

Comment

Just imagine scrungy jungle rats who've been over there way too long.
      Why so much vulgarity?

Does every character have the same voice?

Remember, the military is a melting pot. Treat your soldiers accordingly. It'll make them more interesting.
      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
        Why so much vulgarity?

Remember, the military is a melting pot. Treat your soldiers accordingly. It'll make them more interesting.
        Like Deadwood.

Every other word from Al Swerengen's mouth was a swear. He'd ramble on and on presumably to hear himself talk.

Seth Bullock spoke with control, at minimum, without a single swear, but his delivery carried far more weight.

Al was frightening, but Seth was scary.

Comment

Here's what I do...

I write it freely. Then on each pass I cut the word out as often as possible. My standard is A) if it "lands" -- meaning it makes a line funny or punchy or threatening or whatever, B) if it is absolutely necessary to make a line flow -- if no other word will fit in there as naturally.

Comment

I've dated some military folk. I have yet to meet one who didn't cuss in every sentence.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              I've dated some military folk. I have yet to meet one who didn't cuss in every sentence.
              Are you sure they weren't simply repeating what you had just said to prove how attentive they were being?

Midnite

Comment

This ****ing thread is too ****ing much. Write the mother****** the way you want to ****ing write it, and if that includes ****ing swearing, then include the ****ing swearing. Don't worry about all this ****, and especially don't worry about these mother******s here.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                  This ****ing thread is too ****ing much. Write the mother****** the way you want to ****ing write it, and if that includes ****ing swearing, then include the ****ing swearing. Don't worry about all this ****, and especially don't worry about these mother******s here.

HH
                  You forgot about the mother ****ing snakes on the mother ****ing plane.

Comment

Why so much vulgarity?

From what I've read, Vietnam wasn't the Land O' Rainbows and Cinnamon Buns. I took the weekend to go over the lines, and I noticed the level of swearing was on par with heightened tension in each of the scenes.

As far as Deadwood goes, haven't seen more than a couple of episodes. I just couldn't get into it like my husband did.

I definitely will just f****** write the son-of-a-b****.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Comment

From what I've read, Vietnam wasn't the Land O' Rainbows and Cinnamon Buns.
                      Watch platoon. Oliver Stone did some time in Nam. It's a good example of character diversity.

I believe Vietnam was the land of me love you long time.

Comment

Watch platoon. Oliver Stone did some time in Nam. It's a good example of character diversity.

I believe Vietnam was the land of me love you long time.
                        I did see Platoon back in the day of VHS, and read the script not too long ago.

I have to say all my characters are quite diverse. That's what I've spent the most time on, but that's not to say they don't have potty-mouths (one guy doesn't.)

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                          My standard is A) if it "lands" -- meaning it makes a line funny or punchy or threatening or whatever, B) if it is absolutely necessary to make a line flow -- if no other word will fit in there as naturally.
                          Stressing this.

Doesn't really matter how much profanity you use, it's how you use it. A litany of fucks and shits will be as boring and off-putting as any form of stilted dialogue. But put to good use, cursing can be like music.

Or as Clay Davis put it: Major crimes? Shit...
                          ==========

Comment

Originally posted by Hasil Adkins View Post
                            Stressing this.

Doesn't really matter how much profanity you use, it's how you use it. A litany of fucks and shits will be as boring and off-putting as any form of stilted dialogue. But put to good use, cursing can be like music.

Or as Clay Davis put it: Major crimes? Shit...
                            I've been reading everything aloud, and if it doesn't sound right, it gets changed. I definitely hear what your saying. It should be...poetic.

Comment

Originally posted by SusanTF View Post
                              It should be...poetic.
                              Got bit.
                              Fever hit.
                              World gone to shit.
                              Might as well quit.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SusanTF View Post
                                I did see Platoon back in the day of VHS, and read the script not too long ago.

I have to say all my characters are quite diverse. That's what I've spent the most time on, but that's not to say they don't have potty-mouths (one guy doesn't.)
                                It's all good. It's your story, do whatcha gotta do.

Comment

Working...
                                X