Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ghost" appearance

My character "sees" and "hears" persons that only exist in his mind. Do I treat such persons as normal persons in the script, i.e.

MAX:
    You're an idiot.

Or do I have to clarify that this is not a real person? And if, how? With italics?

It is not a whole dream sequence. Only imaginary persons standing in the normal scene.

Thanks

Re: "ghost" appearance

If the audience sees and hears them as well, then an actor will be required, so, I'd say, yes. (knee-jerk reaction)

Maybe something like...

==============

Bob looks up and sees MAX, a figment of his imagination.

MAX
    You're an idiot.

FRED (O.S.)
    So are you.

Bob spins around to see FRED, another figment of his imagination.

==================

Seems clear to me.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Twain Weck View Post
      If the audience sees and hears them as well, then an actor will be required, so, I'd say, yes. (knee-jerk reaction)

Maybe something like...

==============

Bob looks up and sees MAX, a figment of his imagination.

MAX
      You're an idiot.

FRED (O.S.)
      So are you.

Bob spins around to see FRED, another figment of his imagination.

==================

Seems clear to me.
      And if the audience doesn't see them, you can probably leave off their dialogue. Beautiful Mind did this one way and Fisher King did it the other. I think both those scripts are online.
      wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

Thank you - yes, the audience sees the "ghost". I put "figment of imagination" into it, so it will be clear.

Comment

Do the viewing audience realise they are a figment of his imagination -- or is there a reveal later on?

Comment

By the by, I think it's always worth remembering that the script is doing its best to replicate the experience of watching the film. So if the audience sees a guy on screen and assumes he's real, calling out that he's a ghost/vision in the script will undercut that instinct. Obviously if you intend him/her to be ethereal and weightless then fine; but if your intention is make us think this person is real then reveal they're not, I'd write them as real right until you pull the rug.

Hope that makes sense...

JJ.
            My stuff

Comment

Originally posted by VanceVanCleaf View Post
              Thank you - yes, the audience sees the "ghost". I put "figment of imagination" into it, so it will be clear.
              I see JJ addressed this. But you might want to read Beautiful Mind, because iirc, the reader isn't in on the hallucinatory nature of the character when he first appears. Of course, perhaps in your script the vision is a purposeful fantasy he's created, which is different.
              wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

Re: "Ghost" appearance

OP,

Check out the scripts for Battlestar Galactica (the 21st century reboot). One of the main components is that Gaius Baltar sees and talks to a hot blonde that only he can see - often leading to comic results.
                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                  Do the viewing audience realise they are a figment of his imagination -- or is there a reveal later on?
                  Yes the audience should realise it as the person does not belong there (clothing and everything else)

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town.

Comment

Everyone's right that the experience of reading the script should feel like watching the movie. So no italics are needed. You wouldn't expect Zool in Ghostbusters or the visibly-seen ghost of Obi Wan to have some specialized form of dialogue just because they're not living people.

It sounds like your real problem is how you decide to describe that character upon their first appearrance. If you want it immediately obvious to the audience that it's a hallucination, like say Elvis in True Romance, you might want to state so plainly in the description.
                    - - - - - - -
                    Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

As I said, the audience should notice it, if suddenly a third person pops up in a sealed compound, who does not belong there. Let's say you write about about a prison cell, and suddenly that Viking guy pops up. There's still the possibility the story will include SF and time travel, however... As in my case the audience knows my guy has mental problems, they are probably prepared to notice it without difficulty as what it is...

I mean, it is perfectly clear that person just pops up out of nowhere and doesn't belong there. I just wanted to make it 150% clear by adding something as "IMAGINARY MR. X" or something like that. (Putting it in the character line sounds like a good idea to me.) But maybe it is obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                        OP,

Check out the scripts for Battlestar Galactica (the 21st century reboot). One of the main components is that Gaius Baltar sees and talks to a hot blonde that only he can see - often leading to comic results.
                        Another show that does this is Person of Interest. The character Root talks to the Machine.

Comment

From Dusk til Dawn had some similar situations with QT's character's schizophrenic visions. Might be worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
                          X