Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming convention for changing character

I'm currently working on a script where one of the main characters has experienced an event that changes their attitude and look - the good person gone bad. In the script I time-hop in the narrative, so that I have post-change scenes followed by pre-change scenes, back to post-change, etc.

My question is whether I should name each version of the character differently in the script to make it clear which version we are seeing at any given moment? "GOOD BOB" and "BAD BOB"?

The alternative would be to use an action line to describe the BOB we're seeing at that point in time, and I worry that it would become tedious (and a waste of space) to do that every time there is a change.
    Check out my blog:
    Rookie Australian Screenwriter

Re: Naming convention for changing character

I think as long as his appearance is different it should be clear enough which Bob is good Bob and which one isn't.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

I think GOOD BOB and BAD BOB is a good idea. Looper does Joe and Old Joe. You'd be doing something similar.

www.rcjohnso.com/Looper/Looper.pdf
      Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

I always liked the idea of spelling a character's name backwards to denote his evil twin. So in your case, BOB would be...

AWWW CRAP!

I say go with BOB / DARK BOB or what not, as others have suggested. As long as the concept gets across, I'd say you'll be just fine.

Comment

Working...
        X