Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about INT. and EXT.

Some more elementary questions...I am so green.

After INT. or EXT. I know you're suppose to put the place and then the time of day, however, how descriptive can I make the place? For example, I am writing a practice script on the Merchant house. In the beginning two friends are standing in front of the house in NYC. So do I put...

EXT. New York City - Evening

or

EXT. Outside the Merchant House - Evening

or

EXT. New York City - Outside The Merchant House - Evening

Re: Question about INT. and EXT.

EXT. MERCHANT HOUSE - NEW YORK CITY - DAY

Keep your time of day descriptions to DAY or NIGHT, they're primarily there as a lighting direction. If you want to indicate evening, you are best to do it in the description.

Glenn.

Comment

GBarlow is right re: your slugline and, just to give a reason for the order (which I found helpful to keep it straight) is that you go from closest to further out, like a kid addressing a letter to Grandma:

EXT. MY HOUSE - MY SUBURB - MY STATE - MY COUNTRY - MY PLANET - MY UNIVERSE . NIGHT

There is method in the madness!!

Comment

Interesting.

I would write:

EXT. NEW YORK CITY - MERCHANT HOUSE - DAY

The other logical reason: When you sort the Scene Headings all the NYC locations would be grouped together.
        "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

We went through this discussion (general to specific, or specific to general?) about three or four years ago. Someone finally quoted an authority or at least spoke authoritatively. However, I have forgotten which way we finally went.

In any case, though, I do not think it really matters as long as you are consistent. I like the method that TwoBrad recommends, as in:

INT. WHITE HOUSE â€- OVAL OFFICE â€- NIGHT

It just seems logical that in the above, if you wanted to mention Washington, you would do it like this:

INT. WASHINGTON â€- WHITE HOUSE â€- OVAL OFFICE â€- NIGHT

Anyhoo ...

Yes, I am really ComicBent. I can't hide any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by RRStroud
            It just seems logical that in the above, if you wanted to mention Washington, you would do it like this:

INT. WASHINGTON â€- WHITE HOUSE â€- OVAL OFFICE â€- NIGHT

Anyhoo ...

Though personally I definitely wouldn't use the city in an INT slug. EXT, maybe but only if for some reason the macro location was not readily apparent in the action or if it was a general shot of said City.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

OR

INT. WHITE HOUSE OVAL OFFICE (WASHINGTON) -- DAY

OR

INT. WHITE HOUSE OVAL OFFICE -- DAY

SUPER: Washington, DC

Most people are already aware of where the White House is located. Especially if you're selling to a little place located in the same country called Hollywood.

OR

EXT. MERCHANT HOUSE (NEW YORK CITY) -- NIGHT

OR

EXT. NEW YORK STREET -- MERCHANT HOUSE -- NIGHT

OR

If there is specific reference to the time or period in history...

EXT. NEW YORK STREET -- MERCHANT HOUSE (1926) -- NIGHT

BTN
              "Only he is an emancipated thinker who is not afraid to write foolish things.-
              -Chekhov

Comment

Okay, then, I guess it was specific to general after all. And maybe that is better, when you stop and think about it for a while. You've convinced me. I am always willing to be corrected.

Unfortunately, my old computer, on which I had all sorts of notes about these things, crashed a year ago ... and of course I did not have that stuff backed up.

As for Washington and White House, I used that as an example that everyone could relate to. Actually, though, I do think one should never assume any knowledge on the part of a reader.

Yes, I am really ComicBent. I can't hide any longer.

Comment

The Oval Office is what actually gives it away - if it were the opening scene The White House could be anywhere - there are quite a few of them, public and private - not least of which it is another name for the The Winter Palace (the one in Russia, just to be pedantic.)

Comment

FYI,

From the Screenwriting Format Example on the Nicholl site:

INT. DRISKILL HOTEL ENTRANCE HALL - PHONE BOOTH - DAY
                    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley
                      FYI,

From the Screenwriting Format Example on the Nicholl site:

INT. DRISKILL HOTEL ENTRANCE HALL - PHONE BOOTH - DAY
                      I admit it, you're right. In fact that seems to be the only double-barrelled slug in there - I must have got it from somewhere else - it's the only one I reference for formatting regularly so I guess I assumed it was from there - been a while since I queried slugs. I know I read it in something short I printed out (I can see it on the page) probably an article I picked up somewhere.

I guess that means you just shouldn't listen to me!!

Comment

So its agreed that is from general to specific?

What about when I mention a location, such as:

EXT. - NEW YORK CITY - SECLUDED ALLEY WAY - NIGHT

and the movie takes plce in New York City, next time there is an EXT. scene do I have to include "NEW YORK CITY" again?

or...

I am working on a script, and there is a scene in which the main character (Owen) peeps through his window shades at two men. Is that a whole other scene when he sees the two men in which I have to write INT. etc even though its his POV from his window?

Comment

Assuming that your entire story is set in NYC, one mention is enough. Even better, if you can mention the NYC part in a line of description, you solve the entire problem...

"He steps away from the window, reveals the New York City skyline beyond."

Or something like that...

Regarding the POV question...it depends where the camera is located (since that is what the INT/EXT directions really refer to). If we are looking at the men from outside and up to the window and the protag, it is clearly an EXT shot. But, given the way you describe the scene, it seems more likely that we (the camera/audience) are looking out the window at the men - therefore an INT camera location.

Glenn

Comment

Working...
                          X