When to CAPITALIZE words in your script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to CAPITALIZE words in your script?

I've seen scripts on the net where certain type of words are capitalized throughout the script. I didn't do this much at all in my script, only for a character's name when they're first introduced and things like that. Is there a standard format for which words need to be capitalized? Do writers only do this after a script is greenlit or should I go through and capitalize what I need to now? I'm going to send my script to two people at ICM sometime soon (just trying to make some minor touch ups first) and I'd hate to look like an amateur if my entire script's format is wrong.

Re: When to CAPITALIZE words in your script?

Ryan,

From the sounds of it you've capitalized correctly. The first introduction of a character and sound effects are the primary reasons to cap. Some writers like to cap words for emphasis, and sometimes end up with way too much capitalization.

It sounds like you're script is properly formatted.

Best of luck,

Steve Trautmann
    Kitchona Software
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

A lot of system writers do capitalize SOUNDS, so I doubt anyone would shoot you for doing it.

It's a bit of a semi-production style of writing that some would say not to use, but ultimately it won't matter if the writing shines.

However, use them sparingly and for emphasis where it really makes a difference as a primary insertion within the scene, not each and every sound, as it were in fact a RULE.

Just look at the script in it's physical form and ask yourself if it looks clean and consonant, rather than eye-distracting and haphazard.

More importantly, may the force be with you.

Comment

RyanO --

If you're sending your script to ICM and are worried just about CAPS. Then you don't have much to worry about

G-luck on the submission.

EJ

Comment

I just read David Goyers "Batman Begins" script, and MAN does he CAP a WHOLE LOT of WORDS!
          You're a mighty master of minutia. Your enemies fear you.

Comment

YOU BET but not ALWAYS THE ones YOU'D expect.

But Goyer is a made man. Untouchable.

Not meaning he's right or wrong. There is no right or wrong.
            Last edited by English Dave; 07-06-2005, 12:18 PM.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

I haven't quite grasped this. Capitalizing a name "when the character is first introduced", does this mean only once in the entire script? Or the first time the character is mentioned in each scene? I would think that the latter is helpful to readers because it makes it easy to see which people are in the scene, even without reading the whole text. Alternately, one could list the people, as in

INT. DAY. THE THRONE ROOM

King, Queen, Admiral von Rubberduck, General Slaughterman are talking

(then the dialogue)

Further, standard format is to capitalize the name of the person speaking in a dialogue, isn't it? As in

AUGUSTUS
              All Roman nobles should get married!

CALIGULA
              Yes, oh mighty one.

Am I right?

Comment

Yep, first time they're introduced in the script. And only then, though in rare instances writer might capitalize character names throughout entire script (FLIGHT movie Denzel Washington). But this is very rule.

But the general rule remains, capitalize once, when character's introduced first time, then thereafter as a character clue above each time they speak in dialogue.
                " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
                  Further, standard format is to capitalize the name of the person speaking in a dialogue, isn't it? As in

AUGUSTUS
                  All Roman nobles should get married!

CALIGULA
                  Yes, oh mighty one.

Am I right?
                  The OP is talking about using ALL CAPS in action paragraphs, specifically. Not in dialogue or sluglines.
                  wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

I've been under the impression that in addition to sounds, you can also do all caps on key objects to imply an "angle on" shot:

Delbert struggles desperately with Jones, his right hand gripping Jones' throat and his left
                    wrapped tightly around the revolver in Jones' right hand. They twist into the kitchen, feet
                    dashing violently like a pair of crazed dancers.

Out of the corner of his eye, Delbert glimpses a MEAT CLEAVER in the sink.

Comment

For the most part character introductions and major sound FX are standard. I always think of it as a focus point - a momentary sound effect or major event that you'd like to show as particularly jarring or important. A game changer.

Not to be overused, of course.
                      Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Yeah, I would definitely agree that you only use it when it's a big moment. Someone mentioned it lining up with what the camera would be focusing on for some kind of reveal, which makes sense with how I use it. I feel like I use it more than some people though, to be fair.
                        @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

In addition to the first appearance of a character and important sounds, I was once told it was okay to cap things that would help a skimming reader get essential details. An example from one of my scripts would be a scene where we're driving through a small town that is a major location. In the actual script, it's done as a series of short (one and two line) action paragraphs to give a sense of travel. If you leave only the first and last lines and the stuff I capped you get:

A highway in name only. ... CHICKEN FARMS ... HAY FIELDS

..."WELCOME TO BELLEVILLE" ...

... BRICK FRONT STORES ... AMERICAN FLAGS ...

... "SIX MILE MEAL HOUSE" ...

... BAPTIST CHURCH ...

Three blocks later, it's all past.

The idea being that even if the reader only read the caps, they still have a sense of the scene. My question is whether this is okay (in moderation)?

Comment

I've tended to overcapitalize, then looking at the page, realized gotta UNCAP a few things here and there...

Ah... went to cap, when not to cap. Seems to be the CAPITAL question...

Last edited by MJ Scribe; 02-08-2014, 09:18 AM. Reason: capitalization, of course!
                            " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X