Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugline: 'Moments Later' and 'Later'

I am hearing grumbles that 'moments later' and 'later' are frowned upon in spec scripts. Why? What can you use instead?

I used such things for years (my favorites were "just after" and "immediately after"...I guess there was a difference ) in specs and assignments. Nobody ever blinked. However, with my most recent script I decided to just stick with NIGHT and DAY (I was also one of those sinners who used things like DAWN, TWILIGHT, MORNING, etc., more so the reader could follow things than because I expected the director to be held hostage to a particular quality of light). Haven't heard any complaints so far, but then the most important reader hasn't yet weighed in.

In general, try to keep it as simple as possible. But if your story kicks @ss, nobody's going to pass because you have things like "later" in your slugs...

Comment

Continuous

Same thing with 'continuous', purple curtain? I can live without 'later', but I gotta have 'continuous'. I know, I know. Story. Kick @ss. Nothing else much matters.

Thanks.

Comment

Re: Continuous

I've never used "continuous"--not because it's taboo, but because I honestly don't know why it would be needed. Doesn't mean it isn't useful, but I've gotten by without ever using it and without ever being asked to use it...so I have no experience with it and couldn't begin to concoct an opinion on the matter...

Comment

Re: Continuous

DAY and NIGHT are perfectly acceptable. Not that horrible things will happen if you say TWILIGHT or IMMEDIATELY AFTER.

Odds are you are writing a script that moves in one direction, in the sense of time. There is no need for:

EXT. - ROOFTOP - DAY

David places his wedding ring on the ledge, takes a deep breath, and steps over the edge.

INT. - JONES ACCOUNTING OFFICES - IMMEDIATELY AFTER

People rush from their desks as David's body hurtles past.

EXT. - SIDEWALK - IMMEDIATELY AFTER

David smacks into the pavement at 200 mph.

In any case, I feel this is a stylistic thing. Neither good nor bad, but not the thing to hang your story on.

Comment

Working...
          X