No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to write a synopsis?

Hey all,

I have to submit a very short synopsis to a producer, and was wondering if anyone had any good resources on writing one. The sample that was given to me to use as a guide was one paragraph, and only covered the first act, and a sentence summarizing the second act. Third act info was left out. Is this standard for a synopsis (or is there no standard format?). The sample didn't come from the producer, so I have some leeway in terms of what to include and how.

Hope this is posted in the right place. Thanks for the help!

Re: How to write a synopsis?

Thanks CreativeExec. In a strange twist of fate, I just happened to have sent you an e-mail query about this project a few hours ago! It was one that I pitched to you at the Scriptwriters Network event.

Thanks again for the synopsis advice. I was rooting around on two adverbs looking for exactly this!

Comment

Whenever I see the name CreativExec I drop what I'm doing and read his posts. Always, Always helpful.
      Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
      Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Is it appropriate, then, in the 3rd act paragraph of the synopsis to reveal the ending? Especially if there's a twist?

Comment

Thanks for the breakdown, CE. You helped me steer clear of a disaster in progress. And here I thought the logline was causing me headaches.

Taking this to the next step, does anyone have a link to a synopsis from a completed film? I didn't see anything on Terry and Ted's Worldplayer site. If I can read something from a film I know, it would be tremendously helpful to know how my synopsis should look. I tend to put in too many details, having trouble condensing, how to handle all the characters, etc.

And then maybe soon ... just maybe ... I can get back to actually writing a screenplay.

Comment

Working...
          X