Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you rather write?

I'm in it for the love. It's like with life. If I can make 50 percent love my script and believe in it, then that's pretty good. I can accept that the other people hate it, as long as the ones who love it make it and watch it (and give me money).

Comment

Originally posted by santino2699
      I'm in the opposite camp. I'd write the second one. Break your way in.

S
      I understand the sentiment here, but I'm not sure the second one stands much of a chance of breaking you in. I look at it this way: Say a reader breaks his script piles into the A stack (fantastic! I love it! So original and fresh!), the B stack (hey, this is pretty good), and the C stack (I don't get it). In our scenario, the contents of stacks A and C will vary by reader. I suspect that at the end of the day, only the stuff in the A stack of any given reader has a shot of breaking you in. I'm not suggesting a newbie color way outside the lines to break in, but if 50% of the gatekeepers love your fresh, orgininal work you're obviously doing something right.

Comment

Because you can so totally control what people like and how you "break in" and all that gunk.

Sure, let's all just architect all those plans right out to perfection.

As far as this quote: "I'm in the opposite camp. I'd write the second one. Break your way in. Then, once you have a career with all the right connections...write that amazing script that YOU love."

Not that I know anything, but from what people like you guys are always saying, apparently it's easier to write the one you love NOW. (Unless you get so pissed about what you're doing you end up rebelling a la Alan Ball. In which case, hey.)

Comment

Originally posted by Writer1
          I'd prefer to write a script that 50% of READERS loved. If they love it...there's a good chance it'll get purchased/made.

But, if I wrote a script that got produced...I'd want 90% of VIEWERS to like it. Achieving that 90% figure whould translate into a huge blockbuster.
          Screenwriting is 90% mental -- the other half is physical
          Billy Berra
          "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
          Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

A clever script that 90% of the readers loved...

And that's kind of the job. Really. It's not writing the script that's just good - there are too many of those out there - it's writing the script that's great.

When a script goes out wide, usually over a weekend, you want as many people as possible to "get" the script (because that means more bidders or more meetings). If they just think it's good, you aren't even in the running. They have to "get it" and think it's worth their company's money or the DV exec's time to meet with you and discuss potential assignments. That means the script has to be great (in Hollywood terms). That's the big brass ring that everyone is going for - the script that everyone likes enough to actually pay money for (or bring you in for a meeting on some assignment).

Sure, there are always going to be a reader or two who don't get it... but you want the majority to read your script and love it and think it's worth spending $100 million on. Or that your writing is worth spending $100 million on.

That's a very tiny percentage of the scripts out there.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

So many scripts on triggerstreet that are clever and deeply thought out, and good end up off the scale as far as rankings because half of the reviewers don't get them. I've read a few that, if you get them (and you don't really need an amazing IQ either) are excellent. Lots of people get them and lots don't while many scripts that linger high in the rankings are really not clever at all, but they're good enough in that they have a coherent storyline and relatable characters, but they're definitely not anything special.

I've been experimenting with triggerstreet for a couple months to see just how many good scripts get knocked back that way. Out of nearly 60 reviewed, I have read 6 that if I were a producer I'd definitely consider but are not even in the top 1000 on the site, and 12 that have been in the top 10 that I wouldn't give a second glance as far as considering investing money in them to produce them (at least in their present form).

Maybe if you have a script thoughtful, intelligent people love and the billythrilly's/dclary's of the world don't get is a good gauge of quality, but I fear the scripts that thoughtful, intelligent people find just ok and the dclary's/billythrilly's love are the ones that have the best chance of selling.

frustrating thought

*this post is a work of fiction. Any mention of real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.*

Comment

So far, I seem to write a fairly dumb screenplay that only 50 percent of the audience gets, and only 20 percent of those like it.

I need to work on that...

Comment

You may write a dumbed down script and sell it for a million, but you still won't be happy, you'll still want to write your masterpiece.

You may write a dumbed down script and not sell it and you won't be happy, you'll still want to write your masterpiece.

Like it or not, having a dumbed down script will increase your chances of getting sold at all, and getting your masterpiece made. So, it's wise to have both.

You're going to have to join the crowd if you want to increase your chances of success. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact, it's pretty smart. Being dumb can be smart.

Comment

I think we all have a dream to win an Oscar.

But I realized a couple of years ago as I was watching the Academy Awards that I have a new dream, maybe even a bigger one.

To write a movie that is so loved (whether it's popular with the masses or respected by the critics -- but preferably both) that the year I die, they'll flash my name and picture up there in the "Memoriam" with all the stars....

And I'm like Bill. I want clever AND people-pleasing.
                    my webpage
                    my blog

Comment

The last thing I ever want is an oscar.

oh god no. stage fright and all that sh*it

Just wanna write something that made people laugh that has heart and stands the test of time, and gives me enough cash to build a miniature version of san simeon in the mountains near Banff.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingcactus
                        Because you can so totally control what people like and how you "break in" and all that gunk.

Sure, let's all just architect all those plans right out to perfection.

As far as this quote: "I'm in the opposite camp. I'd write the second one. Break your way in. Then, once you have a career with all the right connections...write that amazing script that YOU love."

Not that I know anything, but from what people like you guys are always saying, apparently it's easier to write the one you love NOW. (Unless you get so pissed about what you're doing you end up rebelling a la Alan Ball. In which case, hey.)
                        Let me clarify. It's obvious now that I need to.
                        I was reading between the lines a little more with the original question.
                        I took it more like, the original poster knew that making the second script would get further because of some inside information.
                        And in response to that, I say...if you have to write a lesser script to get further...by all means do it. You can write your opus later.
                        That's all.

Comment

Less clever but that everyone loves.

Only because I *love* fun movies that may not be all that intelligent or original, but that make me feel awesome. Those are the movies I love; those are the movies I want to write/produce eventually.
                          ~* Kelsey *~

http://kelseytalksaboutmovies.blog.com/

Comment

You should ALWAYS write the stuff you love to write. The type of movies you love to see.

Writing a script you don't care about will most likely not get you anywhere.

In fact, nobody I know who is a working screenwriter broke in that way. Nobody.

In fact part two, I know a couple of (now working) screenwriters who originally went the "I'll give them what I think they want" route and failed miserably. It wasn't until they wrote THEIR kind of script that people in Hollywood started taking notice and said writers went from aspiring to professional.

(Also, I wouldn't judge Hollywood by what goes on at Triggerstreet or Zoetrope or any of those places.)

Just my .02.
                            Last edited by Insanity In A Jar; 09-30-2005, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I'd rather write something good, period.

Comment

Do you mean I can write one script and then cannot write anymore ever? If that's the case then a clever script loved by half the people. If I can write this script and then write another and another after that and so on...I write the dumb script that everyone loves and get paid or get a contract and then write clever scripts as well as more dumb scripts which enable me to write even more clever scripts.

Comment

Working...
                                X