Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you write?...the real reason.

I've always wanted to or been attracted to it at the very least. It's something I think I can be good at. I am attracted to the lifestyle I perceive a writer would have.

Comment

Originally posted by Writer1
      I don't know about you, but I write stories in my head all the time. I don't have to sit and spend hundreds of hours putting the story to paper unless I want others to see it. That's it.
      Screenwriter = Storyteller + Writer.

The storyteller understands stories and characters. He or She is the composer. The writer is the technician, master of the English language. He or She is the performer. Everyone in the world is a bit of both, but to do it professionally you have to master both areas.

I stole the above from one of the great prose teachers - I think John C. Gardner who also said it is better to write well than be published.

Like you said, "unless I want others to see it." Yes, I do want to entertain.

Comment

If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison

This is true for me in regard to movies. The movies I want to see haven't been made yet, not in the way that I want to see them.

As a screenwriter I can at least put forward movies as I want to see them. Even if they only end up as bastard children they are still my children.

Comment

Because I'd like to think that some of the things I have to say might... just might... make a difference in the world.

Comment

Show me the money!
            I wanna tell you about the time I almost died....

Comment

I write because it is the single solitary thing that I do for myself, and hopefully someday that will pay off.

Comment

"I write because I can't do any of the following: paint, sculpt, sing, take photos, play an instrument, commute, wear a suit, remember appointments, return phone calls, work for a boss, concentrate in a meeting, serve food and drink, teach, or do anything else at all really. Nor can I ever ignore the urge to get out what's in, however hard I try."

Nick Hornby
                "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

I write mostly because characters get trapped in my head and writing is the only way to get them out permanently. Besides this I dream of one day being a full-time writer and I can't move towards that dream if I don't write. I want to be a full-time writer for the money, but also because I think my ideas are good and others might enjoy watching them.

Comment

Because, beneath the Poppins is a vain, manipulative monster.
                    Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Working...
                    X