Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished my first outline...

And I feel like I'm ready to write my new script.

This is the first time I have done a complete outline. I used many of the suggestions found in these forums. So many of you have been such a great help, and you don't even know it! I also learned a ton about detecting story flaws in a post I had in the logline section regarding another script, that I was able to apply to this story.

I've spent about 3 weeks on this outline, and I think the story flows well. I have all the major plot points and just about every scene sketched out. I know what you're gonna say, "Great, now write the darn thing!"

Here's the question. Does anyone have any advice or a checklist of things you look for in your outline before you start the writing process?

I would hate to find a major flaw while writing that could have been avoided during the outline phase.

Thanks

Re: Finished my first outline...

Box at the stage you seem to be at I'd be champing at the bit to get started. One last read over the outline in GENERAL terms not detailed, making sure my acts, major beats and story points are going to appear roughly where I want them in the script [page count wise] Then ONWARDS!!!!!

And good luck!
    http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks dave. I am chomping at the bit. just finished the opening scene. i'll post some pages in a few weeks after i have something legible to actually post. i would love to get a few opinions on my work.

Comment

One thing I always check is the transitions--does each scene lead smoothly into the next. A few breaks early on are okay. Later, scenes should follow a logical sequence.

Comment

I don't have anything meaningful to add. I just wanted to say congrats on finishing your outline. That in itself is an achievement.

Comment

Here's the one thing I've learned: I never go from outline to pages without taking my outline to both my writing groups. Because yes, there are problems there, and no, I can't see them. And this is the time to find them.

kullervo

Comment

Check the time... Did it pass at least a couple of hours without you going insane? If it does as you write, you're in good shape.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I'm almost done with the first act, and I'm amazed at how many ideas i am coming up with as i write. The last film i attempted to write was without a detailed outline, so this was a new experience for me.

Anyways, as i write and a new plotline or character idea pops into my head, i find myself going back and altering my outline.

Is this normal? Should I not worry about it, and just write according to my outline instead?

Comment

Working...
                X